iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk hunters ???

Started by shortlogger, August 04, 2014, 10:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortlogger

How many other members are elk hunters ? I am elk crazy its probably my favorite thing to hunt, I'm heading out Aug 28th for Co to chase a screaming bull or two . Just wondering if I should be looking over my shoulder for any fellow forum members ?
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

redprospector

Did someone say Elk hunting?  :D

My hunt starts Sept. 1 in Southern New Mexico.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

kczbest

I was all geared up to go to Montrose, Co this year, but things just didn't work out. I will get to go one day, hopefully.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

shortlogger

I have been wanting to hunt New Mexico maybe in the Gila , It would be nice to fill my Co tag them go to NM and fill another .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

redprospector

Gila's pretty good.
I'm in the Lincoln. I can barely afford the time off to hunt at home, but it does sound like fun to do a "double header".
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

starbits

Elk, my favorite meat.   This year however on 10 Sep I will be in Wyoming again for Antelope season.

Starbits

shortlogger

Quote from: redprospector on August 04, 2014, 11:37:19 PM
Gila's pretty good.
I'm in the Lincoln. I can barely afford the time off to hunt at home, but it does sound like fun to do a "double header".
So how hard is it to get a tag in the Lincoln seems like NM tags are hard to draw . 

jdtuttle

I lived in Montana for 8 years & elk hunting was on of my favorite things to do. Going to Idaho panhandle this October with my brother. Hunt & stay with a great friend I used to work with. Usually prefer bow hunting but work got in the way tihs year.
Jim
Have a great day

Magicman

This year will be my first to miss in more years than I care to remember, but not all for elk.  Sometimes antelope or mule deer.  Over 30 consecutive years.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

I love elk hunting. Shot my first bull in New Mexico last year. I sure would love to hook up with some folks so I don't have to go to an outfitter when I want to hunt. Or learn a good area where I can hunt alone. But with living in Pa., that's costly to do on your own. That's why I've been going with outfitters.

BradMarks

Didn't draw this year, so our chances are real good next year. Last year during rifle season (Desolation Unit), which started on 10/22, the elk were talking like crazy. Never heard so much bugling that late in the year, it's usually during the earlier bow season.  Even seen some "hokey pokey" still going on - on 10 power at 800-1000 yds. Just shakin' our heads we were.

redprospector

Quote from: shortlogger on August 05, 2014, 01:10:16 AM

So how hard is it to get a tag in the Lincoln seems like NM tags are hard to draw .

I haven't been able to draw an Elk tag in years. I have a friend who gets land owner tags, I do a lot of work for him at a pretty good discount and he gives me a tag at a pretty good discount.
Every year I put in for a tag in unit 34, and every year I get a rejection notice.  :D
Quote from: Magicman on August 05, 2014, 09:07:16 AM
This year will be my first to miss in more years than I care to remember, but not all for elk.  Sometimes antelope or mule deer.  Over 30 consecutive years.   :-\
I hate to hear you're missing this year. I remember your thread on last years hunt and really enjoyed it.
Quote from: rooster 58 on August 05, 2014, 04:27:07 PM
I love elk hunting. Shot my first bull in New Mexico last year. I sure would love to hook up with some folks so I don't have to go to an outfitter when I want to hunt. Or learn a good area where I can hunt alone. But with living in Pa., that's costly to do on your own. That's why I've been going with outfitters.
I think I remember reading about that last year too. If you draw out in NM Unit 34 give me a shout and I'll point you in the right direction. We had 3 bulls grazing in our front yard last night, in the middle of town.  :D Outfitters can usually get you a tag, but that can be pretty costly. Going on your own in an area you don't know can reduce your chances pretty good.

shortlogger

Quote from: rooster 58 on August 05, 2014, 04:27:07 PM
Do some research online and call some biologist and give your self a couple weeks time and just go hit the public land with some foot work and patience you will narrow down some good spots that's how my bunch did it . With the money saved from not using an outfitter even if it takes a couple of years you will come out cheaper in the long run .

pappy19

Been elk hunting since 1969, all in Idaho & Montana. Lots of elk stories. Need my grandsons to help me now if I get one down. Too *DanG old but I still give orders pretty darn good.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

beenthere

Are all the elk in Montana ??  Interesting to see this herd crossing the road.

http://1funny.com/massive-herd-elk-montana/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terry f

Around here the first one would have taken out the fence, the second one would have taken out the fence 20 feet away, after 100 ft of fence was gone they wouldn't have any problem getting through. The next day they would do it again a quarter mile away.

hardtailjohn

Quote from: Magicman on August 05, 2014, 09:07:16 AM

Time it right when you come through here and I'll tie one up for you! I've got about 15 that are "regular customers" in my hayfields right now.... :snowball:
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

justallan1

Terry, you got that right.
There's a couple herds right around here, but not the size of the bunch in that video.

Allan

Magicman

Quote from: hardtailjohn on August 07, 2014, 11:45:07 PMTime it right when you come through here and I'll tie one up for you! I've got about 15 that are "regular customers" in my hayfields right now....
I'm coming....I'm coming....I'm coming...........  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CX3

Heading out for 2 weeks on sept 5th.  Colorado public land.  This will be my third year and have stuck 2 the last 2 trips.  We are going out  a little later this year to hunt the rut and try some calling.  Cant wait to ease my addiction.  Love hunting elk
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

redprospector

Well, my season starts Monday. Can't wait.
Good luck everybody.

Magicman

I wish you the best.  I know that you will enjoy it.   8)

terry f

Ours started Saturday, I don't hunt anymore but a kid that used to hunt with us drew a big bull tag from probably the best unit in the country. I expect to post a picture of a 380 class bull in the next month, as these are the hardest hunting people you will ever meet.

justallan1

WOO-HOO! First thing yesterday morning I get a call to come get my elk. This young man lives for hunting and this is the 3rd or 4th year he has got me one. I'm just trying to think of how to pay for it. One year it was tools, last year it was a new Carhart jacket embroidered with the company name and brand on it. I'm kind of leaning towards either a gps tracking device thing for snowmobiling or a shelf style mount with a back piece of the box elder burl that I cut awhile back.
Allan

terry f

Nice, how old, cow or bull.

justallan1

He guessed probably a 2 year old cow. It wasn't a monster, but it's going to taste great. I don't buy meat, but this elk and a couple deer will be plenty for my girlfriend and myself.

Allan

Ron Scott

~Ron

redprospector

Looks tasty.
Take a picture of the first steak on a plate and post it.  ;)

petefrom bearswamp

Hunted the National Elk Refuge outside Jackson WY in 2010, saw thousands of Elk, Hundreds of Bison,dozens of sheep a wolf, a few coyotes etc.
The bulls were off limits and came by very close, but the cows were much more wary.
got my cow the last day a very old herd cow so tough you couldn't cut the gravy.
Had bi lateral partial knee replacement in June so no Elk hunting this year but will put in the drawing in WY in Jan.
I guess I am an elkaholic.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

redprospector

Well, my hunt ended last night. I didn't get one.  :(
That's why they call it hunting instead of killing I guess.
I did have a few bulls present themselves for consideration. The largest being last night. He was a 5 x 6, probably score in the 270 range. The land owner is building a trophy ranch, and doesn't want anything smaller than a 300 killed, and since he was kind enough to let me hunt there when I didn't draw out I figured it would be "bad form" to not follow his rules.
It was very enjoyable to be within 20 to 75 yards of so many Elk for several days though.
This "trophy" hunting is pretty new to me.
Oh well, I guess it's on to trying to fill my deer tag on the forest now.  8)

Magicman

Sometimes just being there and knowing is reward enough.   :)

redprospector

Quote from: Magicman on September 11, 2014, 02:22:38 PM
Sometimes just being there and knowing is reward enough.   :)

I agree.
But a freezer full of meat is a pretty good reward too.   :D

rooster 58

Last year, just before I shot my elk on the last evening of my hunt, I was down on myself as I'd never shot an elk. Then, as I looked out over the vast New Mexico landscape, I said to myself" you DanGed fool, many folks would love to be in your boots right now". It calmed me down and the appreciation of just being in such an amazing place reminded me of the reasons why I hunt. And then about 20 minutes later, Mr. Elk showed up ;)

redprospector

Quote from: shortlogger on August 04, 2014, 10:39:47 PM
How many other members are elk hunters ? I am elk crazy its probably my favorite thing to hunt, I'm heading out Aug 28th for Co to chase a screaming bull or two . Just wondering if I should be looking over my shoulder for any fellow forum members ?

Well?
How'd the elk huntin' trip go?

Thank You Sponsors!