iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bush/Shrub w/ dull Red Berry ID ???

Started by g_man, August 04, 2014, 02:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I have seen a couple of these bushes around this year. The berries caught my eye. I don't recall seeing these berries before. The bushes are about 5' tall or a little more. We need a shrub book.
What are these?? And thanks.

gg

beenthere

First blush, looks like may be some variety of Holly.

But this guide might help.
guide to berries
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

g_man

Hmm..    Thanks. I don't know though.  These new berries have longish stems.

These others below were ID'ed as winter berries the winter before last. I don't know which is which but I don't think they are both winter berry.

I'm going to take a walk out into that swamp to see what the winter berries ( so called ) look like now.

g_man

OK here are the two bushes as they look today

The bottom one is what I thought, but could be wrong, was winter berry and the berries are green now and just starting to form. The top is the new bush. The berries have a hawthorn look and the leaves look a little appley. ???

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

g_man

Pretty close - It does grow in a wet area but the leave edges are smooth, no serations at all.

thecfarm

The wife and I just picked some chokecherries for her jam. The berries are too red for that and not enough of them either. I kinda doubt winter berries as g_man said, mine are not out yet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Going to the link that Sprucebunny supplied, and click on Mountain Holly.  Sure looks like the Mountain Holly pictures to me. 
Say when

Holmes

Could it be the invasive  Glossy Buckthorn?  Grows like weeds. :o  Tough to get rid of also.
Think like a farmer.

John Mc

Quote from: Holmes on August 11, 2014, 08:53:43 PM
Could it be the invasive  Glossy Buckthorn?  Grows like weeds. :o  Tough to get rid of also.

It doesn't look like buckthorn to me - and I've got a ton of it growing here. Buckthorn leaves are more shiny, and the leaves are not as elongated. The berries are rather glossy looking as well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

Quote from: Roxie on August 09, 2014, 02:19:17 PM
Going to the link that Sprucebunny supplied, and click on Mountain Holly.  Sure looks like the Mountain Holly pictures to me.

Glad you guys have been working on this while we were gone on vacation. Just got back.

The first time I tried looking at Sprucebunnies link nothing came up. I just tried again and it came up fine. The Mountain Holly looked pretty darn close but there seemed to be a difference in the leaf texture and color. I google searched Mountain Holly and saw there were different leaf textures. So I think you are right with Mountain Holly. Here is a different image I found of Mountain Holly.

We have a lot of Glossy BuckThorn too. Unfortunately I know that stuff pretty well.

Thank You Sponsors!