iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

smartphone?

Started by 1270d, August 03, 2014, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

I need a new phone.  mine is getting pretty crusty, ringer doesn't work anymore, calls dont come through, texts are sporadic, and reception is terrible. 

what do you guys use, and how does it work?

Has to be a smartphone

redprospector

My wife talked me into getting a "smart phone" the last time I had to get one.  :(
I found out why they call it a "smart phone"...because it makes me feel so stupid.  >:(
I have an I phone 4, it's not even a 4S.
I guess it does it's job. I just don't know how to get it to do what it has the potential to do, and it's way behind in technology...not to mention it's operator. When my contract is up I think I'm going back to a rotary dial.  :D

I guess I'm not much help, eh?
Oh well, I got to vent a little.   ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sshier

I've got Galaxie 5 great battery life listen to radio in buncher all day take calls and still have life left. Phone is a bit bigger than I'd like but it will go in pocket camera is awesome and I get good reception even in the woods . Best thing is its water resistant I wouldn't throw it in the pond but I don't worry about the rain.

barbender

I went with a Samsung Galaxy s5 a few months back, I'm happy enough with it.
Too many irons in the fire

clearcut

If your current phone can make it 5-6 more weeks, Apple is expected to announce its iPhone 6 in mid September. What usually happens is that the price of the older technology (iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c, and 5s) that is still current drops quite a bit. Competitors to Apple also usually announce new models near the same time and the price of their older technology drops.

From there it is largely a matter of personal preference. If you just want the thing to work, and not have to think much about it, then the iPhone is a good choice. I would tend toward the newer models 5 or 6. Apple has good technical support and lots of fans can help if you do have an issue. For people that are imbedded in the Apple ecosystem (Mac, iPad, Apple TV) the iPhone makes a lot of sense. My wife uses an iPhone 4 and likes it a lot. I like it even better because I rarely have to deal with it other than download her photos.

Android phones have a lot more variety. You can get larger screens and more configurations. Because of the fragmentation in this market, the choices are more complex. I would tend to the phones that run the most current version of the OS 4.4.4 Kit Kat. The Galaxy S5, The Nexus 5, the HTC One M8, and the Moto G get great reviews.

For current reviews of all things electronic, I like thewirecutter.com. They pick their preferred device Give it a good review. Point to other reviews, and offer alternatives. For Android phones:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-android-phone/

I use an older Android phone a Samsung Nexus 4S and get mad at it most days. It has horrible battery life especially when reception is poor, 3-4 hours from full to dead. When I have good reception it lasts about 6-8 hours at best. All of the Android phones I have used or maintained develop serious lag issues over a few months of use, when hitting an on-screen button takes anywhere from 3-15 seconds for the phone to respond. Eventually I have to wipe them clean and restore them from scratch. I eventually rooted the phone and installed an alternative OS CyanogenMod to get the *DanG thing to work well enough to use. It still has issues with lag, but less so, and it simply will not work well with Bluetooth.

My next phone will likely be an iPhone 5s, if the price drops enough.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

terry f

Wife has the Galaxy and I have the I phone 5s, don't think you could go wrong with either. Still amazed at what they can do.

1270d

Im not a huge apple fan, but if they perform better, maybe.   I tried to find some online reviews of which top smartphones get the best signal reception and couldn't.    reception and battery life are high on the list of priorities.  my old droid razr still has enough performance to meet my app and browsing needs, just not calling and battery life.

Offthebeatenpath

Apple or Antroid, Husky or Sthil... Deere or Timberjack... although we can run down the pros and cons of each, I think it largely ends up being a matter of personal preference in the end.  Play around with a few in a store and see what feels the most intuitive for you.

What I can say though, I would definitively recommend buying the best case for it that you can find.  It's hard to drop $60-100 on a protective case after spending a few hundred on a phone, but it makes a huge difference. I find that I often need to make a call when I'm elbows deep in grease, standing in the rain or crawling through the mud.  I'm on my third iPhone (it's a 4s) and this one has lasted me almost two years (and counting) because I've almost always kept it in a Lifeproof case. Without the case, mud jams the speakers, water finds it's way in, grease fills the ports and the phone gets all beat up from the junk in my pockets.  I think the Lifeproof cases are great.  The Otter cases are pretty good too, but bulkier- at least the older ones were.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

HiTech

Got an old Nokia...came over on the Mayflower. lol The young look at it and say,"what's that thing?" lol Took the texting ability off...just call out and receive calls. Can't figure out why you need a phone stuck to your ear or in your hand while working. Most do today though. Some can't get out of bed without a phone in their hand. Grew up in a time when you had operators to place your call and people where on party lines. Try to explain that to a 20 something. lol They can be handy and mine is there if I need it.

Southside

I have a Samsung S4 and have been very happy with it, get about 1.5 days on battery life, plus it cost all of $0.99.  My wife has the S3 from her employee3r and the battery is horrible and it freezes a lot.   I was pretty set on not getting a smart phone as I did not want constant frustration when trying to do things but this phone has been very user friendly.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Warrking

I have a Sony Xperia Z1.  Made the switch from apple and never looked back.  Chose the sony because it is fully waterproof and I like to bring my phone into the woods with me and listen to tunes while I work.  It has a 20.7mp camera and shoots 1080p hd video.  Also the interface is so much more useful than apple.  I am able to gps with it (and an app called locus maps), export to .dxf and email to my mapper, all from in the woods.  The iphone always needs to transfer via itunes, and a home/office computer.  I'll admit the android is a more complicated system, but it's because there are sooooo many more abilities.  I have learned so much just by googling "how to do xxxxx on an android"

Good luck ;)

Woodboogah

My wife convinced me to get a smart phone.  I hate it! I am not one to be on the phone unless its to make or receive a call.  I have texting shut off, not a fan. The.  phone is a Casio commando I believe.  Supposed to ne waterproof, dust proof, etc.  Has held up in that aspect.  Seems to get good reception.  Just prefer a no frills phone. If I wasn't married I would not have a cell phone.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

barbender

1270d,  do you find, like me, that most online reviews are not written with loggers in mind?  :) The most important things to me when I was phone shopping were battery life, signal, and how well it worked with bluetooth. I was really considering an IPhone for that reason (Siri). I ended up with the  Samsung S5, the signal is decent, the battery life is good. The voice commands work good if I use the Google feature, not the Samsung. It's a bit quirky, if the home screen is on with the Google widget,  I tap my headset, say, for instance, " call Andy mobile" and it repeats the command. If the screen is off, it goes through a frustrating series of command requests like "say who you want to call" Call Andy mobile "did you say call Andy?" Yes "Which location? Say select 1 for mobile and select 2 for home" select 1"did you say select 1?" Yes "calling Andy mobile" >:( If I have to go through all of that I don't have time left to talk to Andy ::) Other than that quirk, I like it.

1270d

Quote from: barbender on August 04, 2014, 06:20:44 PM
1270d,  do you find, like me, that most online reviews are not written with loggers in mind?  :) The most important things to me when I was phone shopping were battery life, signal, and how well it worked with bluetooth. I was really considering an IPhone for that reason (Siri). I ended up with the  Samsung S5, the signal is decent, the battery life is good. The voice commands work good if I use the Google feature, not the Samsung. It's a bit quirky, if the home screen is on with the Google widget,  I tap my headset, say, for instance, " call Andy mobile" and it repeats the command. If the screen is off, it goes through a frustrating series of command requests like "say who you want to call" Call Andy mobile "did you say call Andy?" Yes "Which location? Say select 1 for mobile and select 2 for home" select 1"did you say select 1?" Yes "calling Andy mobile" >:( If I have to go through all of that I don't have time left to talk to Andy ::) Other than that quirk, I like it.
yes, not a lot of reviews by loggers out there.  thats why I post here. 

Probably going to start using bluetooth again, not sure which kind.  It is a very helpful thing to have hands free to test things and operate when you're on the phone with deere service or some such.  Or truckers, or anyone for that matter. Also use the GPS with sat photos all the time to track where I am in a cut block and help make skid trails etc most efficient.  saves a lot of leg work.  email can be real handy to have in your pocket when dealers can send instructions or manual pdf's to help get repair work done.  Love the smartphone

I m thinking to follow what clearcut said and wait till the next iphone comes out to see what happens with other phone prices.   

cutter88

I have an iPhone 4S and its a lot like my battery operated grease gun, always dead when I need it!! Haha
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

ScottAR

Galaxy Rugby Pro for a smart phone... Mine is surviving me and it gets dropped about once a day.  I have a break away case on the belt and it does exactly that but it covers the glass so no worries. 

Rugby 2 if they still offer it for a flip phone...  That one fell off a roof and survived. 

Both are water proof to a meter and blah blah...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Hans1

I have had 2 samsungs not sure which one now on a iPhone 5 like it a lot . The iPhone gets better reception in my area. Maps are easy real handy to see where you are. The abilty to send pics of broken parts or search for answers online have saved us a lot of time . Smart phones are handy for sure just another tool.

clearcut

Current rumor is Sept 9 for the iPhone 6 announcement.

An advantage for selecting one of the more popular models (iOS or Android) is that they tend to have a larger selection of cases, spare batteries, and other accessories, than the less popular models.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

red

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Centura Android for $29.88 at wally world reg price $99
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

petefrom bearswamp

I use an LG g2 with ATT towers on smart talk. $50 per mo unlimited talk, text and data.
Battery life is outstanding reception good BUT it still is a smart phone with a dumb operator.
Gets great reception at my Adirondack camp but not so great here in central NY.
Bluetooth in all 3 vehicles we have which I really like.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tmarch

Quote from: Woodboogah on August 04, 2014, 11:50:35 AM
My wife convinced me to get a smart phone.  I hate it! I am not one to be on the phone unless its to make or receive a call.  I have texting shut off, not a fan. The.  phone is a Casio commando I believe.  Supposed to ne waterproof, dust proof, etc.  Has held up in that aspect.  Seems to get good reception.  Just prefer a no frills phone. If I wasn't married I would not have a cell phone.
X2
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

CTL logger

Quote from: 1270d on August 04, 2014, 09:34:57 PM
Quote from: barbender on August 04, 2014, 06:20:44 PM
yes, not a lot of reviews by loggers out there.  thats why I post here. 

Probably going to start using bluetooth again, not sure which kind.  It is a very helpful thing to have hands free to test things and operate when you're on the phone with deere service or some such.  Or truckers, or anyone for that matter. Also use the GPS with sat photos all the time to track where I am in a cut block and help make skid trails etc most efficient.  saves a lot of leg work.  email can be real handy to have in your pocket when dealers can send instructions or manual pdf's to help get repair work done.  Love the smartphone

I m thinking to follow what clearcut said and wait till the next iphone comes out to see what happens with other phone prices.
1270D I use a Blue Parrott Bluetooth headset the battery lasts all week and it cuts out almost all background noise. The earpiece is like an old Walkman headphone the volume is loud enough to hear in most situations.

barbender

I use a Blue Parrott headset too, people couldn't understand me when I tried other headsets. This one really cancels out background noise, and the battery life is great. The only downside is it is big and bulky, and it makes you look like you work in a drive through ::)

1270d

My headset is a jabra wave.    It works fine.   

I stopped at the Verizon store a week or so ago and shopped a bit.  Decided to wait for the iPhone to see if prices come down.   The rep there said that the droid maxx is the best bet for reception in poor service areas.   

nhlogga

I got a Droid Razr Mini. Smart phones come in awful handy if ya take the time to figure them out. I have been on Deere parts catalogs to get the right part # so the parts guy doesn't send the wrong one.....gps (could be lost without it) lol........use the camera to take pics of wiring in case ya forget how it goes.......just a few of the advantages......Always get a protective case of somesort.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Thank You Sponsors!