iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood logs - What to do with them?

Started by 101mph, August 03, 2014, 10:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101mph

Guys,

I have about 50 logs of maple trees that I had professionally cut down this weekend (they were the trees that were way to close to the cottage and I heeded the good advice from you guys and had the pros come in and take these trees down for me).

They are all around 10'-12' long with varying diameters from 8" dia. up to 16" dia or slightly larger. The tree service did not have the resources to haul these logs away so they are sitting on my property for now.

I use the wood mainly for campfires and fires inside the cottage. I don't think I would be able to burn this much wood in 10 years (cottage doesn't have a wood burner in it for heat) so I need to do something with it.

I tried calling a forestry company that said they pay $$ for standing timber before I even had the trees cut down, but they didn't want to deal with me since it was such a small amount (to them - not me  :D).

So I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to have these trees hauled away and ideally I would like to make a few dollars from this very nice hardwood.

How should I go about getting this done and who would be the right people I should contact?

I will post some pics of the log pile a little later.

Thanks.

sshier

Put it up on craigs list for sale in log form or cut it and split it for a little more cash.

Piston

I sure wish I lived near you, I'd take them off your hands for sure.  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

mesquite buckeye

In ten years I'm thinking maple logs are gone even if you do nothing. Poof goes the rotted log. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thenorthman

first contact a mill, and see if they want them... Then find a self loader log truck and have them hauled to the mill.  You may need to call a few mills until you find one that wants them, and you may not get the best prices, but they will pay for them...

The mills should be able to help with finding a self loader, may end up using some one with an excavator and a dump truck.

The other option is to post an add on C's list or whatever, you cut firewood, for cheap.  Or cut it your self stack it and sell it for a modest price but buyer hauls
well that didn't work

g_man

If the mill won't take them look in the paper or CL and find a guy who sells and delivers firewood and call him. I am pretty sure they would be interested in buying them. Log length firewood is getting harder to get - at least around here.

BEEMERS

Did the stumps get left? if they did then use the logs for some degree of bartering towards getting your stumps ground or pulled.

101mph

OK I'll give that a shot.

I did have them grind up a bunch of the stumps already.

Wouldn't these mills have their own trucks to come and pick up the wood?

P.S Can someone tell me how to add pictures to the reply? I've created an album, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the pictures to show up in this thread. :-\

beenthere

PS
While in the post where you want your pics, click on the line below "Click here to add Photos to post".
Then click on "My Gallery" to get to your pics. Click on the pic you want, and scroll down a ways to see a couple ways to add pics. It tells how to do it...

Nice whack of wood. Poke around for someone with a log truck and who is looking for some firewood logs, or knows someone looking for logs to saw.
I gather you are not interested in doing any more with them, just want them gone.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

101mph

OK thanks.

Here are the pics of the log pile:

Looking at these logs, how much would you say I could get for this amount of wood? I am located in northern Michigan.

Thanks.

beenthere

Can a log truck with a boom get to those piles?

I'd not even venture a guess to what you might get for them. It's your pocket, not ours.

Advertise the pile and suggest a price you'd consider would be to your satisfaction. Add "or best offer" to your  ad, and hope for a bidding "war" to get more than your asking price. This time of year, and with good pics, you should have no trouble selling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

101mph

Yes you can get to it with a boom truck.

How many cords of wood would you say is in this amount of logs?

beenthere

I see you have an ad for a buyer in "Wanted" with log description. Is it just the pile in the pic, or include the pile in the background of the pic?
south central Wisconsin

101mph

It's just the pile of logs.

The split wood that's stacked in the background I'm keeping.

Corley5

Northern Lower Michigan's a big place.  Where are the logs ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

101mph

glassman_48

101mph
I am in kalkaska, I own kalkaska window and glass inc.  call my number on my profile and I will come and look at them unless corley5 has an interest.  I can mobile process them for you or there are other ideas I have too.  thanks, ed
p.s. welcome to the forum

Piston

Quote from: glassman_48 on August 04, 2014, 08:15:34 PM
101mph
I am in kalkaska, I own kalkaska window and glass inc.  call my number on my profile and I will come and look at them unless corley5 has an interest.  I can mobile process them for you or there are other ideas I have too.  thanks, ed
p.s. welcome to the forum

Well there ya go!  Gotta love the FF.   8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Corley5

Too far away for me.  Northern Lower Michigan's a big place  ;D

glassman_48

The one picture I looked at looks like about 2 pulp cords plus or minus.  I have a guy with a sawmill that maybe I can hook him up with.  Wish I had a mill :'(  Maybe soon I have my certificate from woodmizer for 10 brand new blades so I gotta get a mill to use them on.  Piston, that was quick wasnt it,,,,,,,what a great forum this is. 

glassman_48

I reread his post if the logs are 10 to 12 feet long probably 2 to 3 pulp cords by the looks of the picture.  Dont know if those smaller logs are worth hauling a sawmill over to mill.  Hopefully my sawmill friend can help him. 

101mph

Quote from: Corley5 on August 04, 2014, 09:27:27 PM
Too far away for me.  Northern Lower Michigan's a big place  ;D

Just to follow up....Seems like I heard this a lot this past weekend. A bit disheartening. :-\

I made several calls to a few sawmill guys and "timber buyers" and all seem to say that this amount of logs is not worth their time and money (fuel, trucking etc...). Had one guy come out and look at the logs (said it was nice wood and about 6 cords or so) but didn't have anyone in the area yet to come pick them up. He said would contact a couple guys to see if they're interested in buying the logs.

I'm really just interested in selling the wood to someone like a sawmill who can just take the logs as is. I have a lot of wood stacked and will be cutting down more trees in the near future so I will have even more wood then.

Hope to hear some good news soon.

beenthere

Good lesson here, that just putting up a pile of logs for sale won't may not get a quick buyer.
Likely the loading and trucking expense, along with little market demand for just logs, is the stopper.

But maybe not give up too soon. Wish you luck finding a market.
south central Wisconsin

Corley5

I see several issues with this pile of wood for commercial sale.  The sticks are cut random lengths and mixed together.  There are only a few sticks that would make saw material and most of them would be 100" flooring bolts, yes there are a couple sticks that may make grade if they were cut 124-126" but not enough to make it worthwhile to send a truck even if everything with a minimum 8" top and bigger were all cut 100".  Mills don't deal with firewood.  If they do it's sorted at the job and trucked from there.  All the wood doesn't go back to the mill for sorting.  Truck drivers do not like to sort anything.  This pile has the most value as firewood but it would need to be bucked to a consistent 100" length and there needs to be more of it.  Ten pulp cords is usually the minimum for pickup and the driver isn't going to sort or buck it to length.  Your best bet is an ad on Craigs List but I'd be leary of having anyone cut it into firewood on my property without a certificate of insurance covering them for such an operation.   

101mph

Quote from: Corley5 on August 11, 2014, 07:03:59 PM
I see several issues with this pile of wood for commercial sale.  The sticks are cut random lengths and mixed together.  There are only a few sticks that would make saw material and most of them would be 100" flooring bolts, yes there are a couple sticks that may make grade if they were cut 124-126" but not enough to make it worthwhile to send a truck even if everything with a minimum 8" top and bigger were all cut 100".  Mills don't deal with firewood.  If they do it's sorted at the job and trucked from there.  All the wood doesn't go back to the mill for sorting.  Truck drivers do not like to sort anything.  This pile has the most value as firewood but it would need to be bucked to a consistent 100" length and there needs to be more of it.  Ten pulp cords is usually the minimum for pickup and the driver isn't going to sort or buck it to length.  Your best bet is an ad on Craigs List but I'd be leary of having anyone cut it into firewood on my property without a certificate of insurance covering them for such an operation.   

Everything you said is pretty much spot on. I could cut it to the lengths they want, but even then it's too small of a load for them to consider.

You're also right about having strangers on my property sawing up the wood.... I see nothing good coming from that.

Being new to the game I learned something from all of this.

So I think I will just be letting some of the neighbors have the wood, bring some home, and have some really BIG camp fires for the next 10 years or so. :D

Thank You Sponsors!