iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chev-gmc truck question - sorry not sawmill related

Started by weisyboy, August 03, 2014, 06:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weisyboy

So I want to buy a Chev or gmc diesel 4x4 ute (picup) but they are hard to come buy here in aus unless you have $100 000 to spend on something that's done 150 000 miles.

I was wondering what say a 1990-2004 model single or space cab 4x4 diesel picup was worth over there.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

Was at a local farm store last week and a new Chev truck was around the side, and asked an employee if that was the boss's new truck. He said, No, that was one that was a new $55,000 truck that is being shipped to Australia where it will have to be switched to right side driver. But that there was still a $50,000 savings to the buyer.

Don't know how much truth there is to any of it, but what I was told.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

weisyboy

Yep we pay about $150000 aus for a new picup here it's stupid.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

dgdrls

$30K and up for a truck with under 100kmiles

Those Series 70 Toyota's are dandy trucks,have you ruled those out?

Best
DGDrls

weisyboy

dgdrls

So I guessing yes,...those are ruled out :D

DGDrls

JohnM

Quote from: dgdrls on August 03, 2014, 07:38:38 PM
So I guessing yes,...those are ruled out :D
:D :D

150k aussi?!! :o :o  What's that convert to US?  (I know...google it ;D)  Edit: 139+k...yikes! :o  Interesting you have that opinion about yotas.  I always ask ppl over here how they like their toyota pickups, haven't heard a bad word yet.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

GDinMaine

I have a '97 GMC 2500 with a 6.5L turbo diesel 4x4 auto. I hate automatic transmissions but could not find a manual in my price range. I bought the truck two years ago with 197,000 miles for $4000.  I only drive it when I really need a big truck, so I only put 8000 miles on it but I spent another $3500 to keep it running. Hopefully getting close to the end of the obvious problems.

I second JohnM on the Toyotas.  Around here if you want a trouble free vehicle you buy a Toyota.  I have a Corolla 5 spd with 220,000 miles.  It still has the original clutch and runs like a top.  I don't think I spent $2000 on it in repairs since it was new, eight years ago.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

kevin19343

My neighbor has a 2000 GMC 4x4 crew cab for sale.  Its a farm truck and its seen better days. The rocker panels are rusted out as well as the door bottoms. It needs tires and brakes and probably a bunch of other stuff. There are plenty of dents and scratches too, but it runs and drives and the interior isn't too bad at all.

He's only asking $1200.00 and its been sitting in front of his place for months and months.

PS. I have owned 2 Tacoma pickups and they have been the best trucks I've ever owned. Farm work, construction site, 4 wheeling. Never had a problem.

weisyboy

We pay over $10000 for a second hand duramax motor here,  people put them in there yotas and putrols

Southside

That is crazy money for sure.  Just a word of caution, the 6.5L for the most part is a good engine as long as you don't ask a whole lot from it very often, pre-2001.  The later ones with the electronic injection pump have their share of extra issues for sure.  The '01-'03 D-Max is a good engine - just has injector issues that have been corrected with the updates.  I would stay away from an '04 -'05 (LLY engine).  They have both the injector issues and overheating problems.  If you can find an '06 - '07 (LBZ engine) then you have an engine that will do anything you ask it to for just about eternity.  Mine has 365,000 miles on it now and is almost never under 18,000 lbs, usually quite a bit more.  I would not hesitate to buy one with 150,000 miles on it and take the savings as a result.  I was looking at a regular cab, LBZ, anywhere from 60,000 miles to 100,000 miles were running around $15K on most of the truck websites. 

Would it be a big hassle to purchase one here and import it?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WmFritz

Quote from: weisyboy on August 03, 2014, 07:33:34 PM
No way I'd drive a toyota

Amen Brother!  ;D ;D

I sold my '01  Siverado 3500 4x4 crew cab dually last year for $12,500 U.S..  The mileage was 162,000 miles. I kept that pickup so long because it was so DanG dependable. Aside from fluid changes and two brake pad and rotor changes, the only other part I had to put on that truck was an accessory belt. And then I only changed it out because  I didn't like the looks of the checks on the inside of it.  :D

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

redprospector

I've got an 01 Chevy 2500 4x4 6 speed with a flat bed dump. I gave about 7 grand for it in 2011. It had 150 some odd thousand miles when I bought it. I'm not sure what it's got now, one of my son's borrowed it and I haven't seen it twice in the last year.  :D
I'm not too particular, I've got 2 Dodges, 2 Fords, and a Chevy (all diesels). Unless you count the C70, and F600. But no rice burners (Toyotas).
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

weisyboy

I have found a 1996 6.5 with 93000miles  auto for $20000au it's about 7hrs drive from me anything I should be asking/inherant problems I should know about

snowstorm

a 6.2 or 6.5 would have very little value around here. a 7.3 would be far better and parts can be had if needed.

Southside

I am pretty sure the 1996 was the first year the electronic injection pump came out.  You can ask the owner if they have ever had to replace the PMD (Pump Mounted Driver) and if it was relocated or not.  You want to google the PMD and read about it - they are a very common problem on that design, prone to failure from overheating and will leave you stranded.  Also the injection pump itself is not the best setup for sure, they don't like the lack of lubrication the ULSD has these days.  Around here that is a $4,000 - $5,000 pickup.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

goose63

I had a 1995 gmc with a 6.5 l broke the crank in 3 motors it now sits in the trees no way would I ever have a 6.5 again
now have a 1994 F 250 with a 7.3 turbo best truck I ever had 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

ScottAR

6.5 have quite a few electrical issues...  They also are underpowered compared to the other two makes at the time.  A fella bought a PMD from the place I work last year. I've seen him twice since for warranty. 

I never have understood GM's desire time and time again to put electronics where the most heat and vibration reside. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Magicman

Also sounds like the cranks are prone to break.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

bigred1951

personally wouldnt own a chevy-gmc diesel no matter the year or which diesel engine it is. Always seen and heard to many problems from them. I would only have a dodge 5.9 cummins or a ford powerstroke 7.3 only after they done away with the 7.3 i lost all faith in them. If not a diesel a big block gasser has plenty of power to do what you ask of it if you can keep the gas in it. My 90 f350 4x4 has the 460 big block with a 5 speed. Body rough as a night in jail but only 69xxx miles. Runs great plenty of power will do anything i ask of it and not complain but it is thirsty beast.

Southside

Everybody has their own experiences for sure.  Personally my d-max has treated me right, she gets 20 MPG on the highway with no trailer if I keep it at 63 MPH and 10 - 12 MPG when grossing 26,000 lbs or so with a goose-neck behind it.  No complaints for an 8,000 lb, 4WD, Crew Cab, dually with 365,000 miles on her.   
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

jcbrotz

I gotta agree with the above post. I have had a 94 6.5 and had good luck with it sure it broke down and mostly because I may have pushed it a bit to hard. I bought it right put around 100,000 on it and parted it when the frame rotted out otherwise I may still be driving it. Then came my current truck 06 duramax I can only say good things about it. But you have to do some maintance and care for all things cuz some people can break a perfectly good bowling ball ::) If you are to get a 6.5 try and stay 97 plus they fixed a lot of the cooling problems with them that year. I retrofitted everything on my 94, and 94 was the first year of the electronic injection and if you need help with one I can help if I can remember all that I learned while I owned one for 8 or 9 years, OH and get a stick and keep it revved if you are pulling. I still have the complete GM service manuals for the truck if needed.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Thank You Sponsors!