Ohio frame raising

Started by logman, August 03, 2014, 12:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman

Pictures of the frame we just raised in Ohio

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Ljohnsaw

Very nice.  Can't wait to see the rest of it.  The tall post on each side a few bents in, will that be for the ridge beam going out on the left and right?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

logman

Yes, you can see one of the ridge beams going over to the sips in one of the pictures.
M&K Timber Works

BCsaw

Beautiful frame! Great work.

Some of those timbers are big. What sizes?

How many square feet?
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

logman

Thanks, there are a lot of 8x12's in it.  The house will be about 3000 sq. ft.  There are floor girts that aren't pictured that come out on both sides of the frame.  Joists run from them to the panels so it has a second floor the whole length of the house also.
M&K Timber Works

rasman57

Very nice work!  Looks great.  How do you spec or determine those size SIP pieces?   Are they made and trucked in?  How does a vapor barrier work with them?  I am trying to learn more about SIP for a barn build project, and from real life real project guys.

logman

I cut the wall sips onsite.  The roof sips were precut.  You don't need a vapor barrier with sips.  Once you live in a home built with sips you won't want to live in anything else. 
M&K Timber Works

flyingparks

rasman57

Quote from: logman on August 05, 2014, 09:34:41 AM
I cut the wall sips onsite.  The roof sips were precut.  You don't need a vapor barrier with sips.  Once you live in a home built with sips you won't want to live in anything else.

So they are standard sizes you order then cut on site to fit?  And order the custom roof sizes as needed?  Very nice work!   

ljmathias

I've looked at SIPS in the past for houses I build but always find the cost too high- prices come down lately?  Just to clarify: I mostly build for friends and family and am retired, so my time is "free" and I keep costs down by cutting much of my own wood.  Sometimes though price isn't as important while time is...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!