iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forester chains

Started by husky2100, August 02, 2014, 10:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky2100

Boonville is coming up but what is the forester equivilent to the oregon 72jgx0 and is it worth it

nhlogga

Forester chains are strictly junk in my opinion. Nothing but Oregon chains on my saws.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

husky2100

I thought so just seeing if they ate wirth the cash

NCFarmboy

I bought a spool of .325 x .063 sc.  Only sold 1 chain so I personally don't know.  I don't run Stihls that use .063 so I don't know.  Reports are that it's junk soft won't hold edge.  Haven't heard good report only bad.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Knute

I recently got a Forester bar with the green lettering. What is your opinion of those bars?

SawTroll

You just don't know what you get when buying from a "brand" like that. Mostly you can expect Chinese junk, or at least junk - but there have been exceptions in the past......
Information collector.

Al_Smith

I have no idea about the chain .I've had a few bars and they seemed to be okay but then again that was some time in the past.Then too I'm not a high intensity logger .

cutter88

Cutting hardwood I really like the origon chain with the little riser beside the raker I find it cuts smooth but in pine and spruce I prefer stihl chain, iv Tryed a few cheaper chains never had any luck most of them stretched bad...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

NCFarmboy

Bars are reported to be OK for the money.  I much prefer a Carlton Pro bar over the Forestor.  Not much if any diff in cost if you know where to find them.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

clww

I have a 16" Forester bar on my MS290 for the past three years. I've cut at least 20 cords of hardwood with it with no complaints. I do run Stihl chain.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

weimedog

I've used Forester bars & chains enough to have an opinion based on experience I think. Have a few years on the Bars but after a few loops of Forester chain I went back to Oregon and Stihl brand chains. (I really like the Stihl chain BTW). Both Stihl & Oregon work way better and are a no brainer decision for me even with the price difference I can have...
The green & red "pro" level bars have been ok for the money. Remember they are half the cost of what a name brand like Oregon bar of similar construction and wear almost as well as some of the comparable bars from those typical name brands. SO for the money they are OK. I've run their "Red" bars for a while and have a bunch of time on them cutting Ash and Hard Maple. I guess I put my money where my mouth is and bought three more this year. (For the 365/372 class saws in 20in)
The "Semi Chisel" 3/8 chain doesn't cut as well as Oregon's counterpart .. not even close! The full chisel isn't a match of Oregon's either. In timed cuts the difference was obvious. But I could file the "full chisel" Forester to where it cut well enough to work with.... still not a match of LGX though. SO for the firewood guy on a budget, its an option. For me my first choice is Oregon LGX
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SawTroll

Quote from: NCFarmboy on August 05, 2014, 09:28:18 AM
Bars are reported to be OK for the money.  I much prefer a Carlton Pro bar over the Forestor.  Not much if any diff in cost if you know where to find them.
Shep

Carlton doesn't make any bars, and have anything from top quality bars (Tsumura) to junk rebranded as Carlton. The price will usually give you a hint.
Information collector.

chainsawr

Forester.

Bars good.

Chains bad.

Though they are working on improving the chain.  I think within the next couple years it will be upgraded to usable. 
www.chainsawr.com

Over 50,000 parts in stock.

Selling excellent Dolmar chainsaws and power equipment.

High volume Oregon bar and chain dealer.

jwilly3879

Spike60

Quote from: SawTroll on August 06, 2014, 12:15:13 PM
Shep

Carlton doesn't make any bars, and have anything from top quality bars (Tsumura) to junk rebranded as Carlton. The price will usually give you a hint.

They do and they don't. Blount killed the Windsor brand name, and folded the bars into the Carlton line. So, the old Windsor Speed-Tip and laminated bars are now available as Carltons.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

JohnG28

I thought the speed tip bars were solid steel, not laminated?  ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sshier

A local shop carry's full line of forester bars had chain it was junk constantly needed sharpening bars are okay but 10 hrs days limbing will spin the nose and that's greasing regular they would separate a little and bearings would grenade we're trying hard noes from forester and they seem to be holding up that's my experience anyway.

Spike60

Quote from: JohnG28 on August 12, 2014, 12:58:45 PM
I thought the speed tip bars were solid steel, not laminated?  ???

Speed Tip's are still solid. But in addition to those, Carlton is also selling what Windsor had for laminated bars.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

JohnG28

Ok, I get what you were saying now. Thanks for the clarification.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

Quote from: Spike60 on August 12, 2014, 10:52:12 AM
Shep

They do and they don't. Blount killed the Windsor brand name, and folded the bars into the Carlton line. So, the old Windsor Speed-Tip and laminated bars are now available as Carltons.

Thanks, didn't know about the laminated Windsors now being sold as Carlton.
Information collector.

Bret4207

I've sold and used a lot of Forester bar and chain combos. For firewood cutters and farmers they hold up fine, better than the big box Oregon stuff at 2/3's the cost. My guys tend to shop price and I've never had a complaint about Forester.

deerslayer

I'm working through a 100' roll of Forester .325 x .063 and am happy with it thus far.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

SawTroll

That "killing" apparently isn't complete, as at least in one European market (France) Windsor is still marketed. The bars and chain are rebranded Oregon though....

My Guess is that Windsor had a higher market share there, than elsewere?
Information collector.

colincb183

I agree with the majority. The bars seem okay but I ran forester chain for a while and didn't like them. The steel in the cutters was too soft. It was soft enough that flakesof steel would form on the side of the cutter when filing. I switched to oregon and thats all I run now

Little Al

Shep

The part of France where I live  Windsor Bars & Chains have been reintroduced & are being sold at most of the dealers normally stocking Oregon. The new 5 rivet Speed Tips do not wear or last as well as the older 3 Rivet ones. Can"t comment on the new chain as I"ve not used any.( suspect it"s Carlton cutters )

Thank You Sponsors!