iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame workshop in Georgia -- Who's interested?

Started by danreed76, August 02, 2014, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

A while back, I had posted about the possibility of hosting a timber framing workshop in Georgia as we get started on the frame for our new home.  Due to the distractions of construction and not really having a place to work out of the elements, we ended up letting the workshop go by the wayside.  Now that I'm done playing in the dirt, I owe it to my wife to place a house on top of the foundation.

To get things started on the right track, I've been in contact with Mr. Jim Rogers, who has agreed that if we have enough interest and can find dates that work, he will make the trek down to teach us the art of timber framing.

The workshop (tentatively 5 days) will be held at our new home site near Newnan, GA (about an hour South of Atlanta).  We'll be out of the elements under the roof of the pole barn, where we'll learn hands-on the proper layout and cutting of joinery... and maybe even be able to find an imperfect timber in the stack to learn how to work through difficulties in layout.  As this is quite a distance for Mr. Jim to travel, we'll ask for a minimum of a 3-day commitment from each student.

Food during the workshop hours will be provided, with a guarantee for a barbecue and a campfire at least one evening, and the possibility of a wayward homebrew after school.  We have plenty of room for campers, and numerous hotels nearby.

I'll throw some potential dates out there shortly; but in the meantime, lets start getting a count of who's interested.

Dan

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

scsmith42

Having just hosted a Jim Rogers timberframe class, I can heartily recommend one of his classes to anybody interested in learning the craft of timber framing.

Jim has over 15 years of experience, has trained under both Jack Sobon as well as Steve Chappell, and is an excellent instructor.

One of the things that impressed me the most with his teaching is that he will teach you several different ways to craft the joinery, based upon the tools and equipment at your disposal.  He also brings a great selection of reasonably priced timberframing tools with him to the class, so you can stock up at the same time.

If you're thinking about learning how to craft a timberframe, I heartily recommend one of Jim's classes.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MattJ

I second Scott's comments. The class was an amazing amount of learning in just five days and a lot of fun.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

FalconFan

danreed76

It'd be great to have you Falcon Fan.  Hopefully we'll have some potential dates up soon.

BTW, How's the thinning/planting on your grandfather's place coming along?
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

bushhog920

About time something happens close to home, If I can get away from work I'll try to make it. Enjoyed working with jim before look forward to doing it again.

FalconFan

Quote from: danreed76 on August 04, 2014, 10:21:53 PM
It'd be great to have you Falcon Fan.  Hopefully we'll have some potential dates up soon.

BTW, How's the thinning/planting on your grandfather's place coming along?

Havent started yet, too hot and humid!  I should be starting later in the month and I will also be gathering up some black walnuts to try and grow from seed (my thumb is not very green though so my hopes arent too high!).  On a timber framing note I should be getting my first chisel and slick in the mail this week!

Jim_Rogers

I haven't confirmed with Dan yet but we're talking about the week of the 17th of November.

How does that look to everyone?

Jim Rogers

danreed76

Sorry for the slow feedback guys.  I'm just waiting on some feedback from the Chief Domestic Officer on the dates. 

-Dan

danreed76

Hi Gents:

Quick update --  got 6 (possibly 7) interested.  If the week of 17 November works for y'all, drop me a PM.  Also, let me know your email address and I'll put together a mailing list to send out the final details.

Dan

Just in case, I sent Jim an email with some alternative dates.  We'll see what everyone's availability looks like and go from there.

ljmathias

Doesn't look like my class is going to make this semester (unlike regular professors, a retired one like me teaching can only teach if a minimum number of paying customers sign up- same as for Jim coming down).  I'd love to come but as I mentioned, being retired changes things, like income stream.  I'd be willing to help Jim out in exchange for attending, maybe bring my big Mafall circular saw, my chain mortiser and my 12" planar to move things along?  Can't say I'm expert enough at timberframing yet to teach, but I have extra chisels and mallets... just a thought, and no hard feelings if the answer is no thanks...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

danreed76

Quick update gents:

After some more conversation with Jim, the workshop is slated for 17 November.  I've got several folk's contact information and emails, but if you're interested and haven't gotten in touch yet with me or Jim, let me know.  I'll be putting the details together and sending them out to all those who have contacted me so far, but here's the basics:

-November 17-21, 2014 in Sharpsburg, GA
-Jim Rogers will be instructing, and I believe bringing an assortment of tools for sale
-Lunch will be provided each day, and weather dependent we will plan at least one campfire and barbecue
-Each student will be asked for a minimum commitment of 3 days
-Students will be responsible for their own hand tools at a minimum.

I'll get the fine-tuned details out to those who have inquired shortly.  Looking forward to it, gents!

danreed76

So far we've got 7 interested who I've sent the workshop info to (let me know if you haven't received it).

Got a few folks that the dates haven't worked out for, and had some inquiries into alternative dates.  If the dates that we have scheduled don't allow for enough attendees to justify the workshop, then we'll have to discuss rescheduling.

Couple of folks inquired about rain dates -- We've not planned rain dates as we have a barn to work in and should't be impacted too much by any weather that's typical for our area.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

danreed76

There is a per-day student fee for the workshop, primarily to offset the instructor's fees and expenses.  Drop me a PM or email with your contact info and I'll email out the the information to anyone interested.

Dan

woodworker9

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Blueflyz

MelC

Just sent the PM, my wife and I are both interestd - and I am free those days (and can stay a week).

Jim_Rogers

Welcome, Mel.
I know that Dan sometimes doesn't get to the computer for a week or so. He can be out for a while and may not see your pm or my email about this or your posted message until the weekend.

Jim Rogers

danreed76

Hi folks:

Just now catching up on emails and such as I don't have internet capabilities out at the new place (yet...).  by the time the workshop rolls around, we should have full wifi broadband super-ish high speed internet out there (maybe).  Anyhow, I just sent out a pile of emails and responses to PMs. Glad to see such a good response.  Hope to see a bunch of y'all down here in Georgia soon!

If you're planning on or thinking of attending, let me know, as we're trying to work out a discount at a local hotel for those that need it. 

Dan

sstuartjones

TimberKing 1600, Stihl 311, 71 Mach-1(just for fun)

sstuartjones

Quote from: sstuartjones on October 15, 2014, 01:12:52 PM
awesome, i am interested in attending e-mail sstuartjones@gmail for sending info - Hawkinsville Georgia
TimberKing 1600, Stihl 311, 71 Mach-1(just for fun)

danreed76

Just a reminder, folks, we're getting closer to the workshop.  We've had a good amount of inquiries, but we need to make sure we have enough participants to draw Jim down from New England for the week.  If you're planning to come out or have any questions, give Jim or myself a shout.

Blueflyz

Thank You Sponsors!