iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallenstein FX90 or FX120 skidding winch for NH TN70?

Started by iowaowb, August 01, 2014, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iowaowb

On the specs the horsepower range over laps so I am not sure which way to go. My tractor is 70hp, with ballast and loader around 9500pds. Does anybody have any advice or experience one way or the other?

Ed_K

Won't make a bit of difference, one's 9k pound pull and one's 12k.The 12k will weight more,so the problem will only be the 3pt arms being strong enough. I've bent a lower arm with a 9k on my 60hp,because I tried to bring out 2 30' hemlock 25"on the butt end down a steep hill and they pushed sideways.
Ed K

thecfarm

Ed_K,a hunk of flat stock 1 inch by 3 inches welded on the underside of those arms will cure that. I had the 3 inch part welded on the arm part,flat side up,is what I mean.Worked on my tractor.
iowaowb,welcome to the forum.The Norse winch I have on my 40hp is a little big,the hp range overlaps,as you say. But it works fine. You will like the winch. They make it so much easier to get wood out. Nice size tractor you have there too. I cut alot of small trees too. I brought 3 eight foot chains and 6 hooks and made some 4 foot chains. I run 6 slides and sometime double up on a two trees with a 8 foot chain. But if I can only get a small tree I use the 4 foot chains.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

;D  1/2"x3" angle both sides 1/2"x3" flat on the bottom  8) .
Ed K

Piston

When I last checked the specs of the FX90 and FX120, I noticed the difference in weight was very minimal. It was close to 100 pounds difference, and on your TN70 it would make no practical difference weight wise. I have never used a winch so I can't recommend which to get, but rather just pointing out the heavier one isn't really much heavier.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Hans1

I have the fx 90 and use it on 2 different tractors one a mid 50 horse and the other a little over 100 hp both are 4wd and have loaders works great on both I think the 120 is much taller but not sure. I think the fx 90 would work great on a tractor your size .

Piston

Do you ever find that the FX 90 is a little big for the 50hp tractor?  What is the model?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Hans1

The  fx 90 is used on a John Deere 5410 which is about 55 horse or close to it.

Piston

Quote from: Hans1 on August 03, 2014, 11:23:54 PM
The  fx 90 is used on a John Deere 5410 which is about 55 horse or close to it.

Thank you.  I was asking because I was curious if it was comparable to my tractor, but it is not, yours is a larger utility frame whereas mine just a little compact. 
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!