iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling small logs

Started by Dracomeister, August 01, 2014, 04:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracomeister

OK, guys, here's a noob question for you. I just got my new HM-126 set up and I'm chompin' at the bit to cut something up.  What do you consider the smallest log (realistically) that should be milled?  I thought about 12" but even that, once it is squared up, will be no more than about 8" square.  Thanks in advance. PS, I'll post photos of the new mill as soon as I get smart enough to get them off the camera and into the computer!
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

tmarch

To learn on a 12" log would be fine, probably better than a bigger one as it won't be a waste of a good log if it doesn't turn out the best lumber.  When I got my mill I practiced on some logs cut from down trees, not the best lumber from them, but it let me learn without wasting good logs.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

ladylake

You can get 3      1-1/2 x  5-5/8  out of a 7 in log if it's straight, there will be a little bark on some of the corners but not too bad.  The 5-5/8 will shrink to 5-1/2 or a little less.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

In my area the sawmills will only take logs down to 8 inches across,and that is inside the bark. Just don't want alot of knots for 2X's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deese

I've cut some really small ERC (probably 7" across) (they were given to me) and got some nice boards for my screened in porch...
It really just depends on what the lumber will be used for.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

goose63

Another 126 has come to the bright lights of the forum has it. Well welcome aboard to ya yer gonna like the126  I like mine have cut some 8 inch stuff to practice on I sure like mine I can cut 16 foot stuff

have fun and be safe
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

I occasionally have a customer with a 5-6" or so.  Don't make much but it was not much to begin with.  Sometimes you can squeak a couple of 1X4's out.  It does not take but a minute or two and when I am finishing up a good job, a laugh is a good thing.  I just tell the customer that you can not make chicken pie out of chicken mess.   :D

Now to the question, anything below 10-12" is going the wrong way fast.  If there are very many, we are talking hourly rate, and then it does not matter, because the customer would be quickly culling "logs".   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 01, 2014, 06:07:54 PM
I just tell the customer that you can not make chicken pie out of chicken mess.   :D

steve_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Often it depends on what species and quality the logs are.

I've sawn 6" cedar logs. Basically just trimmed the sapwood off, and left a good 4x4 post. With some species that wood near the pith is actually usable, knotty maybe, but as a fence post, or 4" fence paling it's fine.

Other species, total waste of time, you will have juvenile wood, heart checking etc that makes it worthless, especially considering the time it takes to process smaller logs.

Also, if you have new mill, you need stickers. No problem throwing an 8" log on there and slicing it into 1x1" strips. Good practice and may as well get useful stickers, that you are going to need for your better logs.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Actually Ian, the small stuff that I see is always ERC.  I do not remember ever seeing a Pine or hardwood less than probably 8", and certainly not very many of them.

Many jobs that I finish will have 3-4 Cedar logs to saw.  I usually do not even charge for sawing them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

The mills here in Vermont take spruce down to 5''.I have about 30 spruce that are 7''x8'.I turn them into 4x4's which are handy for a lot of things.The small logs are not my preference but I don't saw for hire and when I bought my mill it was to utilize what I had around.18'' straight logs are my ideal log for a mill with no hydraulics.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Dracomeister

Thanks for the advice, I knew I'd come to the right place.  I have some Cedar at about 12" and thought that would be a good place to start, but your comments on the "learning curve" are pushing me toward some pine I want to get rid of anyway. Goose, I love your trailer (and I'm trying to justify the additional track section), I've bolted mine down because most of my land is steep so its easier to bring the logs to the mill.
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

rwepinetree

I saw small red oak logs down to a 4x4 and get some select 4/4 off the sides I take down to 7to 8 in logs if they have clear faces. it takes longer to saw but they make nice 4/4 by 4 in clear boards. I run a woodland k 4000 vertical band mill with a bult in edger.

drobertson

yep, 6" is a 4x4 with some wane, bugs, and sweep are the enemy, lots of times limb logs tried to get snuck in, this makes for very reactive wood.  It can all be sawed, just with varying success at the time of processing the lumber to a finish product.   I say saw and learn,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ozarkgem

Quote from: goose63 on August 01, 2014, 05:59:45 PM
Another 126 has come to the bright lights of the forum has it. Well welcome aboard to ya yer gonna like the126  I like mine have cut some 8 inch stuff to practice on I sure like mine I can cut 16 foot stuff

have fun and be safe
where are you getting your logs? I don't see a lot of trees in the background. LOL
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

I mill 4" and 5" daily. I made a jig that I can half 3" and 2"  logs. I rarely mill anything over 8" I made another jig that I can mill small and very short logs or cookies with.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Chuck White

8" is my minimum size!

Right now I'm into a mess of Red Pine, lots of handling, but don't take long for a log from start to finish!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

With logs smaller than 12"  they're hard to keep square.and I have to cut slow, so the cat doesn't throw them off the mill. And there no money in small logs . If your playing with your mill and not trying to pay all the bills with it then it's ok :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mesquite buckeye

It all depends on how bad you want the wood that comes from the log.

You can make toothpicks from a sequoia if you want.

Or boards from grass. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ianab

Quote from: ozarkgem on August 01, 2014, 09:46:44 PM
Quote from: goose63 on August 01, 2014, 05:59:45 PM

have fun and be safe
where are you getting your logs? I don't see a lot of trees in the background. LOL

Maybe he's been busy already  ???  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

Be very carefull milling the small stuff you will be running close to your steel mill parts. If you want to take the time you can mill almost any size, but much under 8" your doing the same work for very little return. " you mills what you got" Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

goose63

ozarkgem the farmers are takeing out big tree groves and for a little help I get a lot of free logs
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!