iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ugly Butt

Started by WmFritz, August 01, 2014, 10:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WmFritz

Sitting here at one of the campgrounds in Harrison this morning, drinking my coffee and staring at the ugly chunk of wood I had just thrown on last nights coals... it suddenly occurred to me how bad the hinge on this butt cut-off was.

The log came from my farmer neighbor that cut a fence row  from a new field he bought. The butt diameter is 24" and the notch is about 2/3 the way through.

It' been living in my 'split it later pile' for two years. Earlier this week i pulled a bunch them from there for camping.

It seemed funny to me that I didn't notice the bad cut until I watched it burn.  ???
Nobody can find fault with my keen eye of observation!  ;D ;D

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

luvmexfood

Ah. The good life. Sitting by the campfire early of a morning with a good cup of coffee. Just watching the fire burn and enjoying your coffee.

Read one time that it is a human's instinct to set and watch a fire burn. Come's from the older times when that was all you could do of a night.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

goose63

That thing aint so ugly now its making a good fire have fun
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

LittleJohn

Quote from: luvmexfood on August 01, 2014, 02:06:03 PM
.Read one time that it is a human's instinct to set and watch a fire burn. Come's from the older times when that was all you could do of a night.

There are a few other things that our ancesters could do at night  8) , but that was only good for a few minutes of entertainment  :D

..still love a good camp fire, best fire ever was a campground in Haines, Alaska -> had one of those good old thick metal fire pits, with the heavy NONmovebale grate, the whole assembly glowing RED.

Dave Shepard

After reading some of the posts around here featuring various body parts, I was somewhat apprehensive about opening this one.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Onthesauk

I wonder if sitting and watching waves on a beach may be the same?
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thenorthman

Nothing like a good therapeutic burning...
well that didn't work

SliverPicker

I refer to sitting and watching the campfire burn as "caveman TV". 
Yooper by trade.

luvmexfood

Quote from: SliverPicker on August 02, 2014, 08:47:21 AM
I refer to sitting and watching the campfire burn as "caveman TV".

That's a good one. I like it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

jd540b

When I saw this post my first thought was "gee, even these boys know my ex-wife"....

sandhills

LittleJohn, where did you camp in Haines? I have family there and got to spend a few weeks there just before I started highschool, beautiful country.

Magicman

I too was glad that it was as you said, not as I thought.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!