iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM silvertip blades

Started by ladylake, July 31, 2014, 07:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

Is anyone else having trouble cutting straight with WM silvertip blade, I bought a box of 10 and tried 3 of them and never made more than 3 cuts with any of them as they won't cut straight.  My old Simonds sharpened 10 times cut perfect on the same logs.  I called the saw shop where I got them and just told me to bring them back and didn't even seem surprised. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Steve,  Are you sawing or resawing?  It is my understanding that the Silvertip blade are designed for resawing industry: 
QuoteSilvertip:  Ideal blade for primary and secondary breakdown.  This blade is made specifically to meet the needs of the resaw industry and is ideal for applications where multiple resharpenings are not desired.
LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

uler3161

We only use Silvertips on our LT40. I don't recall ever having any problems. Do you have any way to check the tooth set?
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

ladylake

I'm sawing logs with them or was trying to , I've used Silvertip blades a couple years ago and they worked good.  The set looks good, I'm thinking maybe a bad batch that doesn't have the right built in tension.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

giant splinter

There is a lot of information on this subject here on the forum ..... here is just one reference  .......     https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=55705.0
roll with it

Larry

I like the Silver Tips.  Long flex life, low cost, and they have always sawed well for me.  Only downside is they dull faster than Double Hards and that is important for us TK guys without a debarker.  I just touch them up on the sharpner every couple of hours.

I haven't bought any for about a year, as I've been trying different 1-1/2" bands.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

slider

Steve I have been using the double hard band for quiet some time and they seem to do fine.I don't think the 55's will take as many sharpening's as the 43's.I did somehow put the wrong cam on my sharpener once and started breaking bands.It was squaring off the gullet at the base of the tooth .Once I figured out what I was doing wrong things got better.
al glenn

xlogger

Larry, let me know how the 1 1/2" blades work for you. I've heard they do a better job cutting straight. Did you change anything for them or adjust the rollers? Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

drobertson

Not a big fan of silver tips, but not because of bad cuts, just did not like the performance in regards to longevity.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

That's odd, Steve- I've never had a problem with Silvertips. They are my #2 rated blade, behind #1 Doublehards. Magic, WM markets the Silvertips as a resaw blade, but I'very found their performance to be equal to or better than anything else on the market except for Doublehards.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

It must just be a bad batch as when I called the saw shop it was like he was expecting the call.  A couple years ago I got a bad batch of Simonds where every one broke after the first sharpening, I broke 4 blades in 1/2 hour that time.  Steve

barbender

They told me at Rice Blacksmith that once in a while they get a coil that has the wrong tension (?) they said that when sighted down a straight edge the blade back should have a bit of curve or they won'the cut straight. I can't confirm that, but that's what they said.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I was not arguing or even implying that they could not be used for normal sawing, just that that (Tom) use was not the intended use by the manufacturer.

Some may be very successful using a product beyond a manufacturer's recommendation and some may not.  Heck, we may very well find an even better use than the manufacturer intended.  Sometimes we in the field are the best R&D force available.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on August 01, 2014, 06:22:27 AM

I broke 4 blades in 1/2 hour that time.  Steve

That's when I would have got the Golf Clubs and headed for the course.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

Don't forget your dress David
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

goose63

And don't spend $300 no the dress  8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!