iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

University of Yellowhammer

Started by starbits, July 31, 2014, 04:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starbits

Well after driving 7200 miles and 7 weeks I am back home in Tucson.  It was a pretty lousy trip with a couple exceptions, visiting my daughter and 10 month old granddaughter in Groton CT, and a visit with Yellowhammer.

When I planned my trip I noticed I would be passing close by Robert's place and sent him a PM asking if he minded if I stopped by for a visit.  I was surprised by the reply "No problem at all, be glad to have you stop in.  I work at a 9 to 5 job in Huntsville during the week, and if you could time your visit sometime in the afternoon, I'd just arrange to take off work after lunch and come home to show you my operation."  I let him know a couple days ahead of time when I would be there, Robert took the afternoon off from work (still blows me away he did that) and I arrived just before 1pm in the middle of heavy rain storm and we didn't stop talking for 4 1/2 hours.

During a break in the rain we headed out to his log yard and talked logs, where he gets them, what he looks for and why, and a dozen other things.  We checked out the kilns and the dried lumber, his planer operation and the boards he had for sale.  It was too wet and muddy to saw anything, but we still spent almost an hour at his LT40 showing me tips and tricks as well as general operations on the saw.   We spent time on his Cook's Catclaw band sharpener and setter.  I should have run a recorder because I have probably forgotten half the things Robert told me.  All in all it was an awesome afternoon.

I just wanted to publicly thank Robert for the generosity of his time and knowledge. You have a beautiful place Robert, thank you for letting me visit.

Starbits

thecfarm

That's what it is all about. Sometimes the highlites are the best. Sorry to hear the trip was lousy.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Always nice to visit a FF member. And I thought YH was a full time sawyer.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Sounds like you two had a nice afternoon, just visiting and trying to absorb it all!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

That Robert is a gracious man. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Thanks for sharing the highlights of your visit.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Starbits,
Aw shucks, I really appreciate the compliments.  You are more than welcome, I enjoyed your visit and I wish the weather had been a little nicer.  I figure that if you're  going to go to the trouble to visit, I ought to make it worth your while.  I learned a good deal from you, also, so it's an even trade and we both came out winners. 8)
Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 31, 2014, 06:56:12 AM
And I thought YH was a full time sawyer.
Sure seems like it, I always put in about 40 or more hours a week around the mill.  That's why I like it when folks visit, it gives me a chance to take a break.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Gadrock

I too have had a wonderful visit over at YH's place. Perhaps he should prepare himself to be a tourguide,,,well I do not know how to put it. But a visit at his place is so very informative most would not be able to believe.

My visit was in a cold  brisk windy day and my questions.....thousands of them...were answered. Robert is a charm in the rough sawing world. If you have a chance to meet him, then do it.

Attending the University of Yellowhammer will enrich you too.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

customsawyer

I have yet to met Yellowhammer but we have spoke many times on the phone. I look forward to the time I get to make a run over there.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Thanks for the compliments, you guys are the best.
I have definitely learned a lot from CustomSawyer, as well as everybody on this Forum.  Jake is the guy who helped me get my Cooks sharpening equipment really dialed in where I can sharpen a blade better than new.

I even had a visit from Cedarman and Okmulch a couple weeks ago; they stopped by because they were in town for a weeklong hardcore caving expedition (yeah, bats and mud and dark holes in the ground).  They had some great ideas, advice and stories of their mega operations and I soaked it up. 

Main thing is that any Forum member is welcome to come by and visit anytime.  Just give me a holler.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

Robert,

You been talked about at the Pig Roast tonight.  Just want to warn you  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 01, 2014, 11:09:28 PM
Robert,

Better Robert than me!   smiley_sweat_drop
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

backwoods sawyer

After the sicamore project I am sure you will recieve an honerable mention ;)
Maybe they will even have a small log rolling contest with a big log log-rite again ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

rooster 58

Since I joined the forum, I have corresponded with 4 or 5 FF members. And I visited smwoody at the mill he managed when he was there. Everyone has been very supportive and I've learned valuable information to help me. THANKS GUYS ;)

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on August 01, 2014, 11:09:28 PM
Robert,

I swear Officer, I didn't do it! That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;D

I'd sure like to be at the Roast, but just couldn't make it because something came up at the last minute, but it sounds like a great time for all.   8)

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Gadrock

Yh...your name was kept in the "high remarks" groups. Not once was it even being used at the same level that many of us "low-lifes" exist.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

WDH

Robert,

If you don't come to the next Pig Roast, we won't be nice  :)

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on August 04, 2014, 07:59:51 PM
Robert,
If you don't come to the next Pig Roast, we won't be nice  :)
I'm going to do my best, hopefully things will work out.

Quote from: Gadrock on August 04, 2014, 10:44:26 AM
Yh...your name was kept in the "high remarks" groups. Not once was it even being used at the same level that many of us "low-lifes" exist.
David G

To quote Garth Brooks:
"Cause I've got friends in low places
Where the whiskey drowns
And the beer chases my blues away
And I'll be okay
I'm not big on social graces
Think I'll slip on down to the oasis
Oh, I've got friends in low places"

Yes, although I've met a few on the Forum, it's about time to meet the rest of the crew. Ain't no such thing as "high life's" or "low life's" on this Forum, everybody's "just good folk" to me.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!