iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stumps

Started by island, July 30, 2014, 06:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

island

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to tell how long ago a tree was cut down by looking at the stump that remains? I had a trespasser cut some down and need to estimate about how long ago for the complaint. Mostly maple and oak trees.
Thanks

beenthere

What species of tree were they?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

island

Mostly Maple some oak

Southside

Have they begun to re-sprout yet? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

island

Some have but some have not, I think this has been going on for awhile.

Southside

I can tell you that right now I have a sprouting poplar that was cut back in May.  This was a twin that split about 3' up, I left the stump high as it was as the end of a trail turn and I figured it would make a good bumper to be cut when I was done.  Turns out I have probably never rubbed it and the sprouts are probably 18" tall at this point.  I have a black walnut near the house that lost a big branch over the winter and it has about a 3' sprout at the bottom of the break point right now.  Hope that gives you some assistance in figuring out when it happened.

Do any of the stumps have fresh sap on them?  Have they discolored?  Do you see any obvious drag marks or trails of where the logs went?  Is there still sawdust around the stump?  Just trying to think of possible signs that may help figure out when it happened.  Do you have any idea who did this?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Oldmil

If the trees were cut over a period of several years you may be able to look at google earth air photos to see when they may have been cut.  A series of photos may show when they were cut.

Oldmil.

clww

That's a good suggestion--Google Earth. The photo of our land was updated about a year ago from the previous view, which was about five years ago.
I've had the maples and oaks that I've cut in the fall or winter re-sprout the following spring. The deer seem to enjoy nibbling on the new growth.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

enigmaT120

I don't remember how right now, but there is a way to look at Google Earth from previous photos, too, to compare with the current one.

Yeah deer like coppiced trees, maples at least. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Texas Ranger

Or, if the local foresters have an increment borer, drill the trees still standing and compare the growth rings from the living trees to the stumps.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

oros35

There are multiple places you can get areal photos.  Try Bing maps.  You might be able to piece together a better time line using multiple resources. 

Parafiddle

In GoogleEarth, on the toolbar at the top you should see a little clock with an arrow pointing counter-clockwise.  If you click on it, it will bring up a slider bar that you can use to view historic imagery of the area.

You could also check your county assessor's office website as they frequently have maps and imagery online that you can look at.

mesquite buckeye

Are we talking weeks, months, or years? I think there have been several good suggestions given above. You can also count the growth rings on the sprouts to estimate a minimum time in the past, as the trees may not have sprouted the first season. I think you can only give an estimate, like on or about 2012, on or about June, 2014 or so on. :(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!