iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber stickers

Started by MIsawyer, July 30, 2014, 08:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIsawyer

I recently got some 3/4in stickers, instead of the 7/8in stickers i usually use can anyone tell me if there is a big difference in the two of them.  I have heard that there is a significant difference in wind speed through the thinner stickers. 

LittleJohn

...your pile will be shorter ???  :D

I want to say all of my stickers are 1/2" thick and about 1" - 1.5" wide; I mostly air dry pine, oak and few other random soft woods.  Also most of my lumber is 1" or 2", not a lot of thicker slabs, but I do the occassial bar top or custom cuts.

drobertson

I've used both, only because of saw job dimensions. Air dried  has shown very little difference (if any), not sure on kilns with fans.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

3/4 thick is fine, make your sticker wider (1 -1/2 ") that way you can  eassily see the size for stickering. thickness of stickers isn't nearly as important as the stacking and stickering job.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

I use two thicknesses.  3/4" for slower drying or non-stain prone species like the oaks, walnut, etc.  For faster drying or high stain prone species like maple and pecan I use 1" thick stickers. 

Gray stain is a real problem in this Georgia heat and humidity. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

I prefer 3/4" stickers in the kiln, and 1" for air drying.  The 1" stickers allow too much air flow in the kiln, but not as much as I would like when air drying.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Almost all stickers are 3/4" thick, with a 1" sticker being used for fast drying softwoods, especially in the South with southern yellow pine.  If you have a wide pile, then thicker stickers are a benefit, but with a 4' pile, a thick sticker only means a bigger stack with less lumber but not faster drying.  With thinner than 3/4", if the lumber warps at all between the stickers, there is a chance the space will be so small that air cannot move easily through.  (Some people use 1x2 pine (actual thickness is 3/4") for stickers...great idea indeed.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!