iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I never missed a stroke.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 29, 2014, 05:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

4 days ago, I kept hearing a funny noise every now and again.
Heck I didn't know what it was and kept on sawing.
Yesterday afternoon I saw it......one of the alignment wheels had bad bearings and the spark were flying.
The wheel was lose when I shook it.
I called Woodmizer and ordered 2 complete wheels.....1 for each side.
Hung up the phone and went to sawing.
Finally the wheel seized up and stopped turning but I kept on sawing the rest of the day......the blade was still sawing true.
My new wheel came in by Fed-Ex about lunch time today. Took it out of the box....took the old one off and replaced it in about 5 minutes.....check blade again for level and took off sawing again.
Thanks Woodmizer / Newman Georgia for the quick parts delivery.

Thanks Magicman!

Here the blade is turning but the wheel is not.

Remove broken wheel.

Attach new wheel.

Adjust blade.

.......and I never missed a stroke.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Crazy stuff happens, but 5 minutes?  time does fly don't it?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

But your measuring has me puzzled if you are measuring to the sawmill frame instead of a bed rail. ??

The proper way is to measure and then move the saw head to measure the other end of the BGAT (BladeGuideAlignmentTool)

An alternative method is lying a straightedge across two bed rails.

I guess that yours is OK if it measures correctly, it was just a new one on me.  I might measure mine just for the fun of it.  Who knows??   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

if you kept sawing anyway,why spend the money for parts? just askin :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Nomad

Poston, if I didn't love ya like a brother... ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

bandmiller2

That blade guide doesn't look worn I'd put some new bearings in and keep it for a spare unless it has a flat spot. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

If you measured to the same point, it wouldn't really matter what you measured to. You just want the band to be level to the travel of the head. I like to put a straightedge across to rails, so I don't have to move the head, but that isn't really the proper way. You are supposed to measure to one bed rail, then move the head, and measure to the same bed rail. I suppose you could measure to a nice rock on the ground, if it didn't move while you moved the head forward. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: drobertson on July 29, 2014, 07:10:43 PM
Crazy stuff happens, but 5 minutes?  time does fly don't it?

Thats all it took.....1 wrench, 1 bolt, trade 'em out, bolt back in, crank mill. Voila!  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 29, 2014, 07:28:31 PM
But your measuring has me puzzled if you are measuring to the sawmill frame instead of a bed rail. ??

That's how woodmizer taught me the day the mill showed up. I've been doing it that way ever since with 100% success. But in all fairness to all, your way Magic does look like it would be more accurate.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 29, 2014, 08:08:06 PM

.....I spent the money for parts because the old part was worn out. I kept sawing because you always say I need more stickers and I was sawing stickers.
Now which way do you want it RED OAK?  :D

If you kept driving on a flat tire to get to a service station, why buy a new tire?  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: nomad on July 29, 2014, 08:18:24 PM
     Poston, if I didn't love ya like a brother... ;D

:D :D :D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bandmiller2 on July 29, 2014, 08:20:38 PM
That blade guide doesn't look worn I'd put some new bearings in and keep it for a spare unless it has a flat spot. Frank C.

Frank, it is still good. I will get a bearing kit and reassemble for a spare. 'Cause you never know.  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 29, 2014, 08:27:27 PM
If you measured to the same point, it wouldn't really matter what you measured to. You just want the band to be level to the travel of the head. I like to put a straightedge across to rails, so I don't have to move the head, but that isn't really the proper way. You are supposed to measure to one bed rail, then move the head, and measure to the same bed rail. I suppose you could measure to a nice rock on the ground, if it didn't move while you moved the head forward. :D

Actually Dave, the way one guy from WM showed me was to put 2 bottles just a like on the frame, one under each end of the aluminum stick. Then lower the head down to the top of the bottles and see how much you need to adjust.....if any.

hamish

I would have opened up my drawer, grabbed some replacement bearings and spent 15 minutes changing them versus waiting almost 5 days.  Them are bearings your local auto parts store could have had a set for you the same day most likely.

Most important thing is you were able to continue sawing!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Magicman

Most assuredly I seriously doubt that materhead will ever be without a spare Blade Guide Roller again.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

porcupine

Poston, how many hours did you get on those guide wheels before they were replaced?
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Gadrock

I bet he did NOT pay the $300 for parts as prescribed in fine print, on the folded paper , stuck in the back of his service manual.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 29, 2014, 09:05:12 PM
Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 29, 2014, 08:08:06 PM

.....I spent the money for parts because the old part was worn out. I kept sawing because you always say I need more stickers and I was sawing stickers.
Now which way do you want it RED OAK?  :D

If you kept driving on a flat tire to get to a service station, why buy a new tire?  ;D

Because it doesn't come with the new rim you'll have to buy after ruining it driving on a flat...

Herb

Love Ya Dave!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: porcupine on July 30, 2014, 09:00:17 AM
Poston, how many hours did you get on those guide wheels before they were replaced?

Dave Shepard

Quote from: hamish on July 30, 2014, 12:57:50 AM
I would have opened up my drawer, grabbed some replacement bearings and spent 15 minutes changing them versus waiting almost 5 days.  Them are bearings your local auto parts store could have had a set for you the same day most likely.

I don't think he identified the problem right away, hence the four day wait. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 30, 2014, 10:32:19 AM
Quote from: hamish on July 30, 2014, 12:57:50 AM

I don't think he identified the problem right away, hence the four day wait. ;)

I'm a little different sawyer than most. I really don't upset at things. If I have a spare part, I use it.....if I have to order a new part, I order it.....if it takes 15 hours or 15 days to get to me, I'm tickled to death just to have a sawmill. I just don't let things bother me when it comes to waiting..... and sometimes I get a few days off schedule......my customers understand and know how I am and laugh at me.  :D
It must be because every time a customer comes to my mill, I have a cold drink or a hot cup of coffee waiting for them. Thats just the way I am.  :)

You are correct Dave.  smiley_thumbsup

rasman57

QUOTE......"I'm a little different sawyer than most. I really don't get upset at things."

We have noticed you also have a really keen sense of humor too.   It is obvious you are not married or you went to Catholic School.  :laugh:    You know how to LIVE!   Nice!

Thank You Sponsors!