iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stanley steamer

Started by snowstorm, July 29, 2014, 05:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

i had to go up to the camp today to do some painting. so on the way back i stoped at the stanley steamer museum in kingfield  maine. they have 4 cars there the oldest built in 1904. along with a couple steam engines from the cars. pretty sharp looking cars

loggah

The Stanley brothers were pretty sharp, they made concert violins ,before they ever built steam cars, they had a bunch of patents on things they built,!! also being identical twins they used to pull a bunch of tricks on the law !!!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

snowstorm

Quote from: loggah on July 29, 2014, 07:24:07 PM
The Stanley brothers were pretty sharp, they made concert violins ,before they ever built steam cars, they had a bunch of patents on things they built,!! also being identical twins they used to pull a bunch of tricks on the law !!!!! ;D
there was a couple violins there also. along with a few guns from the civil war

scgargoyle

I worked for a guy that restored Stanley Steamers. I actually got a ride in one. Interesting- You just open the steam valve, and it goes. 100% torque from 0 RPM! They were also much faster than any other car in their day; much faster than the suspension and tires could handle, too.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

r.man

I have read articles by Jay Leno who has more than one and if I remember correctly the later models were fairly quick to start as well.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

snowstorm

they said about 20 min to get it warmed up.   there was a sign on one saying top speed was 127mph. there was a speedometer on it. driven off the right front wheel with exposed gears. the speedo was made by stewart warner

thecfarm

127mph,for the ones that don't know that was not done on a Maine road in that era.  :D  And in fact I know of many roads in Chestervlle,that I don't even want to do 50 mph on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

:D :D :D :D When I first seen the post the first thing that poped into my mind was a carpet cleaner. And I couldn't put snowstorm and a carpet cleaner togather  ;D
Bill

Paul_H

I saw this one a couple years ago at the Westwold Steam Show about 45 minutes west of here.It sailed along pretty quick and was quiet.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

hardtailjohn

I got to work on a friend's  1902 Locomobile steam powered car. Too much fun!!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

redprospector

I've wondered for years, why in our search for an alternate source of energy, no one seems to have looked at steam seriously.
Sometimes you have to step backward, to be able to move forward.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

beenthere

Quoteno one seems to have looked at steam seriously

How can you tell that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Steam certainly has it's advantages but range is limited by the amount of fuel and water required. Those early boilers were also prone to exploding.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

redprospector

Quote from: beenthere on August 02, 2014, 04:14:43 PM
How can you tell that?
Well, to be totally honest I can't tell that. I'm basically assuming that since all that I've ever heard about in the news is how they are trying to perfect the electric car, and that will be our salvation. I wonder what they use to make that electricity.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 02, 2014, 04:23:00 PM
Steam certainly has it's advantages but range is limited by the amount of fuel and water required. Those early boilers were also prone to exploding.

We have the advantage of better metallurgy, and a few other failsafe's that they didn't have back in the early 1900's. We don't seem to mind sitting on top of 20 or so gallons of gasoline...remember the Pinto?  :D

As far as range goes, I bet it wouldn't be much, if any worse than the range of an electric car. You can get water pretty easily in most places, and how far would a half dozen 40 lb. bags of wood pellets take you?

Just food for thought.

Ianab

Actually I did some reading about them, and apparently there where few serious accidents. Even if the relief valve failed, the boilers or steam pipes would pop a seam some place before they build up enough pressure to actually explode. So in a failure there was a huge cloud of steam, and you just stopped  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

scgargoyle

Steam isn't an alternate form of energy. It's just external combustion versus internal combustion. You still have to burn something. I don't think generating steam is any cheaper or fuel efficient than just burning it in an engine.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

snowstorm

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 02, 2014, 04:23:00 PM
the boiler they had there that wasnt in a car was wrapped with telephone wire. lots of it . to hold it together just in case??

Magicman

To operate a boiler here in Mississippi, you have to be certified and licensed.  The boiler also has to be pressure tested and certified.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CJennings

I love steam engines. I always liked the Stanley vehicles, but I think the Doble steamers were more advanced and I think a practical vehicle could be developed from their design with modern materials and technology. They started very quick (a minute or so as I recall), had condensing systems to reduce the need for water refills (as did the late Stanley steamers), and so forth. Anything could be used to produce steam. I'd love to see a wood pellet burning steamer.

redprospector

Quote from: scgargoyle on August 03, 2014, 06:15:39 AM
Steam isn't an alternate form of energy. It's just external combustion versus internal combustion. You still have to burn something. I don't think generating steam is any cheaper or fuel efficient than just burning it in an engine.
This may be, but, it is a renewable source of energy. It may cost the same as gasoline, but once oil is used, it's used. Energy created by burning wood, or wood pellets is energy created using a resource that will grow back. I've looked into pellet manufacturing some, you can make pellets out of old newspapers, cardboard, and even grass clippings if you're so inclined.

redprospector

Quote from: Magicman on August 03, 2014, 02:07:51 PM
To operate a boiler here in Mississippi, you have to be certified and licensed.  The boiler also has to be pressure tested and certified.
That might be a good thing. Put some responsibility back into owning an automobile.
In all reality, you have to be licensed to operate a vehicle, and in most places it has to be inspected annually anyway.
I don't know if it's an answer, much less the answer. I just think it's worth looking into.

Thank You Sponsors!