iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did anyone pick up a Wallenstein FX90 recently?

Started by Piston, July 29, 2014, 04:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Hi - I pass through St George all the time.

I'm far from an expert on Wallenstein winches, but I would think the FX90 would be a great fit for your tractor. Isn't the FX90 rated for 30-80 HP?

Really, I think the rating by HP is less important than the weight and "beefiness" of your tractor.

I am more familiar with Farmi winches (even though I own a Uniforest).  A Farmi 501 is rated for 35 - 60 HP (winch pulling power rated at 11,000#). I see them on 50-60 HP tractors all the time (and sometimes on larger tractors), where they work with no problems, and last forever. I'd have no problem recommending a Farmi 501 for your tractor. If the Wallenstein is similarly built, it should be fine.

If you have any interest in a Farmi, Champlain Valley Equipment in Middlebury sells them. They are a VERY good dealer: knowledgeable and stand behind what they sell.  I believe they have a branch in St Albans as well, but I don't know the folks up there. (I have no relationship with CVE other than that of a satisfied customer.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

wfcjr

Quote from: Cummins802 on September 17, 2014, 06:55:37 AM
Thanks, Im from St.George, not too far from monkton. We own a m6040 and i am debating between the fx120 and fx90 for our tractor. Recommended hp for the 120 is 60-100 the 6040 is 63 hp with 56 pto hp. I know the fx90 is within recommended hp for our tractor, but is it too small for the tractor? Any thoughts would be great.

-Ryan

I use our tractor with a Wallenstein skidding winch over in Waitsfield.  We are on the east side of the Valley up against the Northfield Ridge... is is pretty hilly.  We fell trees, cut into 9' lengths, skid them out to the closest logging trail & then take them back home with our front mounted grapple.   Grapple on front, skidding winch on back is configuration for skidding & hauling logs.

We run a Wallenstein FX90 on a JD 5095m.   Tractor is 95hp.  PTO is rated at 80hp.   All four tires are loaded with beet juice, Trygg chains all around in winter. I do not feel that the FX90 is "too small" at all.  I looked at the specs on the M6040.  I would not go above the FX90.  I think that the FX120 may be too much winch... PTO requirements, plus if you skid at or near the top end of the FX120 rating, I would be concerned about being able to anchor & pull 12,000 lbs.  As someone else mentioned, "beefiness" is as important as the rating on the skidding winch.  Just my two cents....

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

lopet

Yes I can see that,  but it all depends what your gonna do with it.
Do you have a lot of sticks like that Peter  ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: lopet on September 19, 2014, 09:31:44 PM
Yes I can see that,  but it all depends what your gonna do with it.
Do you have a lot of sticks like that Peter  ?

Yes, But I have a friend ;D

And this works too.
Soon It will be time to go back in the woods.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

lopet

It's always good to have friends  :)
Won't be long and we'll be dealing with this white stuff again, can't hardly wait .
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

John Mc

Peter -

A little bit of topic drift here, but would you be willing to share some details on your bridge? I have a much smaller tractor that I need to get over a stream. It flows pretty good during the spring snowmelt, so I'm thinking I'd need a minimum of a 36" culvert. I might like to try a bridge. It would need to support my tractor, as well as my neighbor's horses. I haven't been sure where to start. 

I've got copies of plans for a portable skidder bridge that the state of VT was pushing for a while - it's basically just a bunch of 4x6 (or 4x8 ?) hemlock beams bolted together to make a deck. That would probably be overkill for my needs.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

QuoteA little bit of topic drift here, but would you be willing to share some details on your bridge?

I recall a thread where the bridge was discussed. Maybe Peter will point it out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!