iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anarchist (timberframing) tool chest

Started by MattJ, July 29, 2014, 08:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattJ

For those not into woodworking the name for this is a play on Chris Swartz's woodworking book called "the anarchist tool chest." 

I had signed up a few weeks back to learn timber framing in Jim Roger's class and had a last minute dilemma that I needed a box to house my tools in that I could take to the workshop and then lock up at the end of the day. To be honest the locking up was not needed after learning that between dogs, security systems and the 2nd amendment nobody was getting into Scott's place  :D

I had about an hour to build it and was running low on steam, when it came to me, I have a crate from a TOW missile in the attic that would be perfect (who doesn't own one of these?). My thoughts are if you are going to have an anarchists tool chest you need to make it look like its owned by an anarchist!

I still want to make a folding base for it that has wheels but its worked so far.  Once on wheels I'll add a chain to the top so it stays flat when open to be a tool rest.  The only tool that doesn't fit is the boring machine, and I also need to add a Big Al layout tool to the mix.

I fit a lot of tools in the box:

circular saw and 25' power cord
gloves, eyeglasses, hearing protection
tape measure, combo squares and framing square
bench plane, block plane, rabbet plane
two framing chisels, corner chisel and slick
granfors scandanavian axe
brace and auger bits
bits for my boring machine
oak mallet, saw
a few more misc items

Jeff

I Love it!  In case you didn't know, almost all of our living room tables and stands are made from dynamite, black powder and blasting cap boxes, as well as other areas in the house. Including the bathroom where we also have an Old Forest Service "Blasting area" sign on the wall, and a dynamite box as a stand beside the toilet. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MattJ

Thanks Jeff.  I actually still have the spent TOW tube as well.  My cousin (in Ann Arbor, MI) wanted me to turn it into a lamp for him as a souvenir from his time in the marine corps.  He wanted either a floor lamp or to cut it down the middle and turn it into two lamps for over the top of a pool table.   For the time being it's hanging in my shop!

Thank You Sponsors!