iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6 years late, better then never!

Started by moosehunter, July 29, 2014, 08:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

We finally broke ground on our house project after many delays. About four weeks ago we broke ground with my friend Al running the 655 and me on the Kubota.

Next we built forms. I sawed the form boards with my Norwood mill 5 or 6 years ago!

This past Saturday the footers were poured.

Monday morning (yesterday) Terry from Hoover Hardware in Troy PA showed up with our NuDura forms for the foundation and spent the day teaching us how to put them up. It rained all day but I am happy with the results so far.

Hopefully will pour the wall next a week from Friday.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Magicman

Wow, you are looking good.  That is also a very nice setting.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

LittleJohn

Got to love ICFs; they make insulating underslabs so much nicer

...plus it looks like a very nice view will be had from the house, ove the pond/lake

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Are you going to ICF all the way up?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

moosehunter

Pond is 3/8 of an acre.
ICFs foundation only, rest of house will be log construction.

Hilltop366

Nice looking place, I will enjoy following along.

Piston

That looks like a beautiful spot!  Looking forward to more photos along the way. 

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Raider Bill

I really liked working with ICF's. They make a huge difference heating the house.

LittleJohn

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 29, 2014, 05:15:03 PM
I really liked working with ICF's. They make a huge difference heating the house.
Volunteered at a local Habitat for Humanity house a few years back and they had full ICFs; from basement to rafters.  The guys in charge said that they had run the numbers and it was about break even between full ICF and stick built.  At least they don't have to worry about termites  :D as much

Raider Bill

Quote from: LittleJohn on July 30, 2014, 08:47:42 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on July 29, 2014, 05:15:03 PM
Volunteered at a local Habitat for Humanity house a few years back and they had full ICFs; from basement to rafters.  The guys in charge said that they had run the numbers and it was about break even between full ICF and stick built.  At least they don't have to worry about termites  :D as much

It's more $$ up front but if you live in extremely hot or cold areas you gain it back fast in lower power bills.

Once I get my 2000 sqft house up to temp it only takes about 10 pieces of firewood to maintain it for a day in the winter.

I've seen them not only were the walls ICF but also the roof. Pretty much a bomb shelter.

moosehunter

more progress;
Adding reinforcing around windows and doors before the pour.

A pic of the wall bracing system.

The concrete pump truck cleaning up after the pour.

The pump truck is capable of reaching 103', the operator could move the chute/ pipe an inch at a time, very impressive!

LittleJohn

Pump trucks are AWESOME, they used one ay my dad's place 48'x90' (7 loads of cement) and they could not get the trucks close enough to dump, so they pumped the whole thing in one big pour

jdtuttle

Nice looking job. Did you use Doucette's pump trucks out of Candor?
Have a great day

Thehardway

Looking great!  Keep up the good work.  Are you going to get dried in before winter?
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Raider Bill

Did you sweat the pour? I did the night before worrying about blowouts :D

moosehunter

Yes, JD out of Candor

We hope to get the foundation dried up before the first snow. Logs (main floor) are at least two years out. Trying to do this with out a mortgage.

I was very nervous about the pour until that morning, then I seemed to find an inner peace and just went with the flow! Someone would say something about a potential problem and I would just hand that problem off to someone that could handle it and I went back to work!

Raider Bill

Quote from: moosehunter on August 19, 2014, 09:23:08 PM
Yes, JD out of Candor

We hope to get the foundation dried up before the first snow. Logs (main floor) are at least two years out. Trying to do this with out a mortgage.

I was very nervous about the pour until that morning, then I seemed to find an inner peace and just went with the flow! Someone would say something about a potential problem and I would just hand that problem off to someone that could handle it and I went back to work!

That's sort of what happened with me. When the cement trucks and pumper showed up I pretty much just resigned to the "whatever happens happens" mode although I didn't have anyone to hand off to.

danreed76

congratulations on that; that's much the same as we're doing... save a little, work a lot...  we're about a year and a half into ours.

It has to be one of the most nerve racking days (and night before) all the way up until the concrete starts flowing.  Once the concrete starts moving, you don't have time to be nervous.

Great job on the pour.  glad all went well.
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Leigh Family Farm

Nice looking build. How big is your house gonna be when finished?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

moosehunter

moosehunter

The septic drain pipes are in place

Yesterday the first load of base stone was installed

Stone Slinger trucks are cool. I love machines, especially ones that save labor! 40+ tons with a wheel borrow would have been brutal! The rest of the stone will be here Tuesday (DanG holiday weekends) then lots of leveling and compacting.

Stephen1

I really like my ICF basement, it never freezes even without the heat turned on.
Looking good MH
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

jdtuttle

I like to see that your planning ahead for radon mitigation. The perimeter pipe is cheap compared to doing it later. Great job :).
Have a great day

moosehunter

The Pex is in place.

The right parts make it almost easy.

Concrete going into place.

Floor joists are going up.
This seems to be taking forever but I am doing everything myself except friends helping with concrete pours,.. AND I appreciate the help!!

addicted

Great pictures. Did you price out open floor truss's and tji's. I'm having trouble getting a good price for the open web truss without redrawing the entire floor design. I was wondering what the difference is in price.

Raider Bill

Looking great!!  I remember putting up my 48' floor trusses, what a job!

Question, why the open space between the beams?

moosehunter

addicted ; did not price open joists
Bill; If I had taken the pic today the third beam would be there ;) Had to use a come-along and three ratchet straps to get that third one up. I put every one of the joists up myself. Put 5 or 6 on balanced on the forks of the Kubota, drive behind the house where the grade is higher and set one end of the joists on the sill plate. Push one joist to it's balance point, go back around the house and up a ladder to pull it in, drag it across the room and up the other ladder,...... repeat. Longest ones were 34'. I think one more foot and I would have needed another person!

Magicman

Looking very good !!   8)

I understand "friends" when dealing with concrete.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Yes as long as a couple of those friends knows what they are doing...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

moosehunter

Had one friend that knows what he is doing, been doing it all his life. Traded his expertise for a little sawing job ;) The rest of us just did what he told us to.

Banjo picker

Good deal...  You have a nice looking floor laid out with the Pex pipe ..  I used that for the water line in my youngest sons house a few years back when copper got out of sight....As I do work on my house ...plumbing wise... it is converted to pex as well..   Banjo

isawlogs

I love looking at great workmenship.  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WmFritz

Looking mighty fine, Mike.
I used those manifolds in my cabin. Nice quality.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!