iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So sad for my maters.

Started by Jeff, July 28, 2014, 11:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have some awesome looking tomato plants this year. They were given to me by my neighbor Joe Wade. They start them every year from seed they save out. They are heritage varieties. The one is called Ox Heart, the other is like a beef steak.  I have 2 plants of each, growing in a raised box. My plants are robust and healthy and blooming like crazy and have been for weeks. And there is not a single tomato on any of the plants.  :'(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sandhills

Don't give up on them yet Jeff, I've had them do that for a long time, last summer they bloomed like crazy, later (a lot later) I had maters on but it took a long time before any of them ripened.  They were good though  :)

Jeff

Quote from: CHARLIE on July 28, 2014, 11:56:58 PM
Too much nitrogen Jeff. :(   
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remedy-nitrogen-overdose-tomato-plants-29733.html

I dont think so. I think it is more like to much cold. or rather not enough warmth. I dont think we have had a single night this summer that didn't drop into the low 60's or colder.

21incher

I started all non GMO heirloom tomatoes for the first time this year and some of the plants grew to be about 7 feet tall before they started producing tomatoes. Seems like the heirlooms have a mind of their own and have not been manipulated to be a early tomato. Don't give up as you will most likely wind up with the best tasting tomatoes you have ever had. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

Too much nitrogen. Also on your blossoms, a liquid spray of calcium will help set and help prevent cat-face. You can keep spraying at weekly intervals  with BT (bacillus Thurengensis), mixed with liquid kelp, and some calcium, as a worm preventative/follier feed. Next season grow in horse poop, bone meal, and kelp , for short plants that will bear super heavy tomatoes. Cheers Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

ely

jeff if those tomatos are blooming, then go out and switch them each day for a while. you need the cooler temps to set the blooms but you need to switch them to get the blooms to pollinate because they are not doing it on their own... a switch , an old fishing rod, whatever just get it in the limbs and switch it around to knock the pollen loose.

Jeff

I was out spraying the yard for mosquitoes for the pig roast a few minutes ago, and discovered the beef steaks had 3 small tomatoes on them!

BradMarks

The first tomatoes usually hide from view, seeking shelter, at least in my backyard.  I read somewhere that they were self pollinating, unlike our tomatillo, which didn't set fruit until the bees showed up. Most heirlooms are indeterminate, they grow tall. We currently have fruit at 6' and they are still growing and blooming.

hackberry jake

I had the same issue earlier this year. I blamed it on too much rain. I'm up to my ears in tomatoes now!  materhead
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

I think the hierlooms do not produce as much as the hybrid ones.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

respectfully,not so. For a short time I grew heirlooms commercially and pounds per acre was not the problem ! ;D Cheers Rob

thecfarm

The heirlooms don't do that here. I am picking corn for a guy that grows veggies on a large scale.  He does not grow the heirloom ones due to yield. I have some heirlooms ones and they are not doing much.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

roger on that :)Another way to look at my tomato knowledge is that if I was so hot at farming ......why am iI driving a WoodMizer now ??? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

thecfarm

My knowledge ain't much. I'm just saying what I have seen in my garden and what my boss told me. We have been on the cool side here too.

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on July 30, 2014, 08:12:48 PM
I think the hierlooms do not produce as much as the hybrid ones.
This is my first year of all heirlooms and I have never had such big tomato plants loaded with super tasty fruits. They took a little longer to get started, but are producing better than any other plants I have ever had. On the other hand it has been a perfect growing season with no hail yet.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hackberry jake

I dont know which kind produces more, but I know which kind tastes better! My mom is sensitive to high acid tomatoes so i always grow her a few yellow tomatoe plants. I usually just get some lemon boy hybrids but this year I also got a heirloom variety called "golden jubilee". Those plants have been making more tomatoes than I ever thought possible. You look at the plant and see more tomatoes than you see foliage. Definately a variety I will grow every year now. My family is also kind of fond of the cherokee chocolate tomatoes because of their flavor.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SLawyer Dave

I have 40 heirloom tomatoes this year, (20 different varieties), and 17 different hybrids, (8 different varieties).  I generally go about a 50/50 split, but with the success I have had with heirlooms the last few years, I went a little overboard.   :laugh:

My wife says a lot overboard.  Funny thing is the Heirloom plants are all 6' to 7' tall, growing huge and most of the varieties have done very well.  The Hybrids are at most 4' tall, but just loaded with fruit.  I tend to try different varieties for at least 2 years to see which seem to do the best for me. 

OxHearts have never done much for me, even with average daily temps over 100.  They just don't seem to produce. This is probably the last year for Box Car Willies for me.  Have only gotten a couple of small fruits off them the last couple of years.  This was my first year for Gilbertie Paste tomatoes.  Produced a ton of fruit, but many of them appeared to have blossom end rot, (or something similar).  A friend I supplied a plant to was complaining about the same thing to me, so it just may be especially sensitive.  Since the weather has gotten HOT, that problem seems to have largely disappeared.

One of my new favorites in the last 2 years is the Amish Paste/Wedding Tomato, (you see the same varietal labeled both ways).  Tons of beautiful round fruit in the 1" to 2" size.  Just a super producer that has lots of solid pulp and few seeds.  Last year I did not have good production from the single Cherokee Purple plant I had, but this year they have gone crazy.  Pruden's Purple has also been outstanding.  Last year my Pineapple Tomatoes were not that productive, and generally small.  This year, I am getting tons of up to 3" beautifully marbled red and yellow fruit that has been outstanding.   

My absolute favorite tomato, year in and year out are the Brandywines.  Both the Suddath strain and the original pink variety, have been consistent producers for me for years.  Hard to beat the number of large, low acid fruits they consistently produce through the summer. 

Since I get so much sun and heat, for Hybrids, I tend to stick to those designed to take the heat.  Ace, (derived just 80 miles from here), Early Girl, Better Boy, and Beefmaster have been very consistent for me over the years.

hackberry jake

My brother tried a few "solar fire" hybrid plants this year. They have been very disappointing. Few small fruits that taste like store bought tomatoes.

21incher

I also grew 20 plants of the Amish paste and have never seen paste tomatoes that are quote so large. The plants are over 7 ft tall and covered with tomatoes weighing up to 12 ounces each. Another favorite this year is Paul Robeson. A black tomato that is low acid and has a slightly smokey flavor. The Brandywines are still green, but most of the fruits are all over a pound.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff....if you want Tomatoes, you have to talk to the plants.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

luvmexfood

There are a few BIG tomato farms around here. All on hugh river bottoms. Have many migrant workers come and pick for them.

Buddy was a deputy sheriff in one area. Him and some other deputy's would pull up to a little high spot overlooking the fields and get on the PA and in spanish tell everyone to line up at the cars with their green cards. Workers would run everywhere some jumping in the river to swim away.

Owner of the farm finally called the Sheriff on them so the fun stopped. Seriously last year you could go down and buy canning tomatoes for $6.00 a box fresh from the field. Can't really grow them for that.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Al_Smith

I think in these parts which includes Mich .the weather has been a tad on the cool side .They don't come on as fast or get the size as much as in warmer weather .Fact I just plucked the first of my beef steak hybrids .Half a dozen and not nearly the size they usually are .These are baseball size and they usually are softball size .Next few week should tell the tale .

hackberry jake

Mine are bearing alright now

I just finished three plates of tomatoes and cottage cheese with salt and pepper... I think if I get to choose my last meal, thats what it'll be.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!