iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing logs and making camp fire wood

Started by Kingcha, July 28, 2014, 07:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingcha

I got a round to sawing the last logs today, they where smaller logs 9-10" 8 feet long.  Tops left from sawing flooring boards out of the bottom sections.

I did not get much lumber and only cut 18 2x6x8 and a few 1x's.    I did not try to maximize the lumber I got and left some wood on the slabs.   We seem to be selling enough camp fire wood and I like to get at least to bigger pieces per bundle.      I really have been surprised that we have sold as much as we have.    It's all fasts burning pine but we only charge $3 a bundle or 2 for $5    I have a sign at the stand that says "help us be green by using this waste wood".    We ain't getting rich but its good exercise and we get a little spending money to boot.

Another fun day of making sawdust.    Tomorrow its back to the grind so to speak, back to the felt and hopefully a long day of poker.
matt

a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Joe Hillmann

I may have to copy your fire wood stand idea. Except with wood shingles.

Wallys World

We also sell camp wood. It pays for the gas to run our saws for our own wood.

Built on a pallet for easy moving and a locking mail box for the money. We also charge $3 for one and 2 for $5.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

36 coupe

cash box has to be locked and bolted down.Then all they can do is steal the wood.Honor system dosent work here, used to be ok.

Magicman

Quote from: 36 coupe on July 29, 2014, 04:32:31 AMHonor system dosent work here, used to be ok. 
Your profile does not indicate where "here" is??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

There are alot of camps and campers around here. I began selling wood 3 years ago. I do pretty well. I sold every stick I had over the fourth 8) And folks are pretty good about the honor system. I don't think I've lost more than 50-60 dollars worth. Once in awhile, I'll come up a little short. And then a few weeks later I have a little extra. I think it's repeat customers that make up for what they didn't have ;)

Kingcha

Thankfully I live where the honor system is still usable.   Leelanau County The "Land of Delight"

My next project is to add Bird Houses and feeders.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Joe Hillmann

How do you guys wrap your wood?  And do you sell it dry or still green?

Kingcha

I use that 5" plastic packing wrap.

I try to let it dry out some but have not got Enough cut ahead of time to be real dry

Matt

36 coupe

Quote from: Magicman on July 29, 2014, 07:27:51 AM
Quote from: 36 coupe on July 29, 2014, 04:32:31 AMHonor system dosent work here, used to be ok. 
Your profile does not indicate where "here" is??   ???
Central Maine.Maine has changed a lot since I moved here 45 years ago.

21incher

Nice way to get rid of your slabs. I know here in NY you can no longer transport firewood over 50 miles so most campers are forced to buy local wood anymore and you see a lot of those roadside stands popping up.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

So, if buying from a roadside stand, what method is used to verify how far the wood has traveled to get to a camp site?
I don't see any way, but am interested in how it can be done.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kingcha

Not sure either how they would track it.   In michigan they just want you to purchase it within the county that you are burning it and they do have some fines for violating the Quarantine on ash

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdard/Firewood_Fact_Sheet_color_1-7-14_443188_7.pdf

matt

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on July 29, 2014, 08:44:46 PM
So, if buying from a roadside stand, what method is used to verify how far the wood has traveled to get to a camp site?
I don't see any way, but am interested in how it can be done.
From what I understand if they pull you over on the thruway pulling a camper for some other reason, and see a pile of firewood in the back of your truck they can request a certificate of origin for the wood or proof it has been kiln dried. They can find out where you got on and how far you have traveled with the wood to enforce the mile limit. I think the law is more to make people aware of how easily pests such as the EAB can be spread and steps they can take to slow them down.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

QuoteI think the law is more to make people aware of how easily pests such as the EAB can be spread and steps they can take to slow them down.

Spread of EAB by firewood is only their best guess, and IMO just the result of a knee-jerk reaction that Gov't needed to have something in place to make it appear that they were being pro-active.  This is just my opinion. I don't think they have a clue how it moves across the country.

And there is no way of knowing how far someone has traveled with their firewood, without a long, drawn out retracing of ones trip with an officer in tow. And the "honor system" firewood sales mentioned do not give out a certificate of origin for the wood or kiln drying proof. And these roadside sales don't have to prove where that firewood came from, from what I can tell.
Seems, and again my opinion, that the whole approach just doesn't hold water.

I've become more suspicious that this is only the beginning of a major clampdown on burning wood by trying to regulate the sale of firewood, and the result will be less wood burned in our homes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LaneC

beenthere, I think you are spot on. If you think that is bad, look at some of the "requirements" that you will have to have before long in certain areas. "Certified" wood burning heaters and stoves. "Inspections" to be done and "certain" installers installing them, before being able to use legally. You can just about imagine what that will open up. "Inspect" the wood heater in your get away cabin. Ha. I forgot where I read that, but it is very serious.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Brucer

Quote from: LaneC on July 30, 2014, 11:17:42 PM
... "Certified" wood burning heaters and stoves. "Inspections" to be done and "certain" installers installing them, before being able to use  ...

Those rules have been in place here for 25 years. Not required by "the government", but by the insurance companies.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

rooster 58

I put my wood in two different size racks. Small ones are ten bucks, the large ones are 20. I do not wrap them. But this is firewood. Once I have the mill going full time I will add slabs for sale.
     The State of Pa. lifted the ban on transporting firewood here. Because of the EAB, it was not permitted to bring wood from home to your cabin or campsite. But now that the EAB has been discovered statewide, the ban as far as I know, has been lifted ;)

beenthere

QuoteThose rules have been in place here for 25 years. Not required by "the government", but by the insurance companies.

Brucer
Ours would be EPA (Enviro Protection Agency), not insurance companies.
Local Gov't, and State Gov't have also jumped in to pass legislation such as "only gassers" to the point we hear the manufacturer's of wood burners are not even offering a non-gasser for sale.
Canada may differ on that, as you mention.
south central Wisconsin

losttheplot

Quote from: Brucer on August 02, 2014, 12:59:15 AM
Quote from: LaneC on July 30, 2014, 11:17:42 PM
... "Certified" wood burning heaters and stoves. "Inspections" to be done and "certain" installers installing them, before being able to use  ...

Those rules have been in place here for 25 years. Not required by "the government", but by the insurance companies.

When I went to get home insurance, The insurance company sent me a diagram of a wood stove and some walls. I had to fill in the clearances from my stove to my walls, and the size of my hearth.
They did not make me get a W.E.T.T inspection and they know I installed the stove, hearth and flue myself. That was about 4 years ago.
Just saying.  :)
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Thank You Sponsors!