iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

corley sawmill weight

Started by bigred1951, July 28, 2014, 07:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

Does anybody have a guess at how much a corley circle sawmill would weigh? Wood frame, wood husk, Steel carriage. Also corley edger, swinging cut off saw and a twin blade board end trimmer? I have some pics of the old sawmill and other things on here from previous post. I talked to the owner a few months back and in so many words he said he would pretty much take scrap price for it all. So i was wondering if andbody might have a rough idea of the weight of all the equipment so i would know what to offer.

bandmiller2

Red 51, I have seen on the internet specs and old cuts from Frick advertising including shipping weight, it would be in the same ballpark as the Corley. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

would he let you pick it up and pay on weight after you pick it up?  I have bought a lot of stuff that way.  I normally take it to a weigh station or feed mill and get slips to show weights.

Just an idea.

bigred1951

i dont know if he would or not. I think that would be to much work as well. The mill is still set up on concrete piers and everything. Its all under roof but has sat unused for 25+ years but is still in great shape with a little lube and elbow grease everything should loosen up

ddcuning

I have the original Frick catalog which should get you close to what the Corley weighs. The Frick 00 with 30" opening, 15 ft carriage weighed 3000 lb. The Frick 0 with 32" opening and 15ft carriage weighed 4000lb and I would say that would be your best approximation. If it has a power unit, the power unit would be 3000-3500lb if it is a 6cl diesel. My Cummins weighed in right at 3500lb on a steel skid with PTO attached. The Frick 27" edger weighed 1350lb packed for shipping. Hope this helps and good luck with the mill!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

bigred1951

its power plant is all 3 phase electric motors. the one that runs the mill is i believe 100 hp or a lil more i cant remember off the top of my head. I dont remember what was the hp on the edger or any of the other equipment. Personally i would sell the electric motors or scrap them out then find a detroit diesel or something to run it all

Lumber Grader

Find a place close to the mill that has truck scales. Weigh you truck and or truck and trailer empty and that is your base weight. Fill it up with parts from the mill and go back and weight it after you get your load. The scale folks will give you a ticket each time you weigh beginning with the empty load. Show your ticket to the owner of the mill and multiply per pound/ton of the agreed on scrap price per pound/ton and you are happy and so should the mill owner be. Your job now will be to find out where the nearest truck scales are, such as a truck stop, sawmill with scales, grain buying stations, etc. I have heard great things about the old Corley Manual Sawmills. Do you know what model it is?
2, 3 or 4-headblocks? Happy sawing and I hop this helped you! Sorry, but I failed to notice a previous post from another member saying basically the same thing-Oops!!!

bigred1951

its 3 head blocks. If you look through my old posts there is a thread with pics of the sawmill and everything

bigred1951

Thank You Sponsors!