iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just to pass on.

Started by luvmexfood, July 28, 2014, 05:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Saw this article in the local paper so I thought I would pass on. http://www.tricities.com/news/article_fc3a18e4-164d-11e4-b260-0017a43b2370.html

Basically it says that they may stop campers from bringing their own firewood into the Smoky Mountains National Park unless treated.

Was told but not sure that last year at the Bristol Motor Speedways Nascar race that any camper showing up with their own firewood was citied due to a quaranteen ban or something of that nature. Don't know if true.

BMS has been working with local hotels to try and get them to maintain some reasonably hotel rates. Most hotel/motels raise their rates 4 or 5 times what they normally are and require an minimum of x number of nights.

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Jeff

Transporting firewood almost anywhere has become a big no-no.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clww

I think I read somewhere that this is the policy for all the National Parks....?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

BradMarks

Gotta have a customer base for those firewood vendors who've got the gov't contracts!! :D

r.man

I expect that non local sales will soon involve heat treating in most areas. I could certainly see bundles going that way especially since it is not an anonymous way to market wood.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

jcl

At New Hampshire speedway they wanted kilm dyed only with labels!!
Doesn't mean it happened but it's what they wanted
New Holland Tc45d
jonsered cs 2159
CB. Maxim
block buster   processor

Randy88

I've asked this question before but have yet to get an answer, how come I can transport logs anywhere I want to, but not cut firewood, that's supposed to be illegal, I'm in a quarantined area and can't transport firewood across county lines, or for me, from my timber to my house, which is less than five miles away, but I can bring in the logs and cut them up once they are at home, strange as it sounds, I've even been complimented as doing it the right way by doing so, and I"m sitting there thinking huh, either way I'm moving the wood/logs/lumber/firewood across county lines. 

This became obvious last winter when everyone was running out of firewood and needed some but most couldn't get to their timbers due to excess snow, so they'd start calling around, loggers could deliver them logs but not cut up firewood, logs could cross county lines without breaking the law, firewood couldn't, but the logs could be cut up and split once it was on your property, or to put it point blank, one was bringing them across five county lines, nearly 200 miles one way and dropping them off in people yards, and being complimented for doing it the right way???   I'm obviously thinking wrong on this, can anyone explain this to me how it makes sense other than finding a loophole in the law, because I"m not thinking it really makes sense.         

stumpjumper83

You have to remember that the laws were written as a symbolic gesture / money grab more than an honest attempt to actually do some good.  And If you read it carefully it says firewood or logs destined to become firewood.  Or at least the ny law is written that way.  They even make you have a certificate of origin on your firewood and audit dealers.

garret

This is true also in the National Forests.  But it gets even crazier.  I once had to pull my side-by-side utility vehicle into a wash bay at a Govt jobsite and power wash to remove all possible traces of invasive species stowaways.  That was over 9 years ago.
E-Classic 2400 comfortably heating 4,200 sq.ft. and unlimited DHW, Off-grid, Photovoltaic-powered pumps in gloomy SW PA , 34 t splitter, numerous Husky chainsaws

beenthere

Quotehow come I can transport logs anywhere I want to, but not cut firewood, that's supposed to be illegal, I'm in a quarantined area and can't transport firewood across county lines,

Where is Randy ??
Pls fill out your bio... at least a state, or a general location in a state..  Would help to understand your post.
If you need some help, we can help you get it done. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Randy88

Stumpjumer, I know I'm really slow at this but don't most slabs at mills, cant's and the scraps get sold for firewood as well even on saw logs, or at least that's what is done with them here, so logs coming in from several hundred miles away for lumber purposes, or the outside/bark where the bugs live in, gets used for anything but lumber..............

Well as long as I don't actually break any laws, I at least feel so much better................... that and then we can  haul the sawdust, and wood debris back down to the timber, and everyone's happy, actually I'm not sure hauling it back is legal or not, nobody has ever said anything about that portion, we just do it and spread it out back in the timber to decay.   

I'm in Iowa, I'll get my state filled in as soon as computer helps shows up today

luvmexfood

A lot of gov. regulations make absolutely no sense. For example: when working at the airport one federal rule was a person could not walk thru a drive thru gate. However, he could walk to the back of a pick-up and set on the tailgate and ride thru and immediately get off. That met the feds standards.

glassman_48

luvmexfood,
Before I started selling bundles a couple of years ago, I went right to the dnr and asked all the appropriate questions.  The guy at the desk said that we could cross county lines anywhere in the lower peninsula of michigan.  But could not transport the the upper peninsula.  It still bothers me today, I dont haul firewood more than 20 miles that I sell, but it still never felt good  (his answer) 

luvmexfood

He may have been the poor guy in the middle trying to explain a rule made by the higher ups that he knew made no sense.  ???

glassman_48

luvmexfood,
I think it was something like that, I have done auto glass work for them in the past so I knew him a little bit.  I dont remember his exact words but it was something like the emerald ash borer problem is in all the lower peninsula counties so it didnt matter anymore.  I have been trying to do things that in my mind will be the right way or at least the best way that I can and feel good at the same time. 

shades

most of these quarantines have to do with a beetle. you can move wood in but not out. last i heard they were fixing to quarantine the whole state of ky because they realized that you cant keep the beetle from spreading. this way you can move wood easier........at least within the state. they figured out it moved into the state from firewood from ohio into parks and such even with a quarantine.
Ben

bigred1951

thats weird ive never heard of anything like that around here. At the camp grounds around here alot of people bring their own firewood and alot people sit along side the road selling camp firewood. Also see alot of hauling and selling firewood across numerous county lines. Gotta love kentucky

beenthere

bigred
You might want to look further into what KY is doing about the EAB quarantine. 

http://pest.ca.uky.edu/EXT/EAB/welcomeeab.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigred1951

thanks for that info beenthere i did not know that. But thankfully my county and surrounding counties was unhighlighted and hopefully they stay that way

Thank You Sponsors!