iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

trouble with the pine

Started by Dave H., July 27, 2014, 05:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

here are some pictures of a pine I csm'ed 2 yrs ago. these are 19.5" x 2" x 7.5ft.(wide as my mill at the time) this was the butt end and full of pitch. I didn't set the pitch since I don't have a kiln and this happened. only lost 3 slabs total. these will now be fire starter wood,lol. I cut a total of 13 slabs from 2 logs. stats; 2 days (3hrs a day, 1.5 gallons gas mix. lota of water,lol.

Ljohnsaw

You still have 10 good slabs, but, what's to keep you from scraping off the pitch?  Could you then rip them in half and run them through a surface planner to clean them up and have some pretty 2x10s for shelves or benches or something?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

I've seen this one time in a pile of pine, it was about a 24" 20'er.  split four ways for beams, (not my choice) the mill I was at, the log exploded bout 2/3rds through with maybe five gallons of sap!  never seen such a mess.  most times it's not that bad.  looks like you still recovered some good slabs! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave H.

john you are right,i might scrape them but for now they are on hold.i did find some pictures of the first day of milling,second day was taken on a cell phone that I took for a swim while fishing (campfire story,lol)

Magicman

Sometimes an old Pine has overgrown an old injury and "pitched" up such as that and there is really nothing that you can do.  The sap is horrible and the lumber does not have it's normal strength.  It will sometimes fracture when you try to drive a nail through it.  Makes good firewood kindling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

Dave H.
I thought Ludowici was a foreign country.I did a Google search and it looks like a pretty interesting place.Lot of nice old buildings.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

WDH

Quote from: ljohnsaw on July 27, 2014, 05:36:50 PM
Could you then rip them in half and run them through a surface planner to clean them up

Planing pine with that much pitch is a trial.  You spend more time cleaning the planer and the rollers than planing by a 5 to 1 margin  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I NEVER plane pine. I use different sanders....learned my lesson.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

Quote from: 47sawdust on July 27, 2014, 07:55:01 PM
Dave H.
I thought Ludowici was a foreign country.I did a Google search and it looks like a pretty interesting place.Lot of nice old buildings.

We drove through Ludowici a couple weeks ago if you talking about in the one in Georgia.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Dave H.

Quote from: Sixacresand on July 27, 2014, 10:58:08 PM
Quote from: 47sawdust on July 27, 2014, 07:55:01 PM
Dave H.

We drove through Ludowici a couple weeks ago if you talking about in the one in Georgia.
the one and only.lol. stop in next time.

Magicman

I'll admit that I did not Google it and I did not know either.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Dave H we have a second home not too far from you near sterling or about 5 mi. from seabord landing in the swamp.
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!