iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there any use for Ailanthos Altissima?

Started by Dracomeister, July 26, 2014, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracomeister

I had the Tennessee Wildlife folks come over to see what I could do to increase the holding capacity of my farm.  While cataloging the Oak and nut tree population they found several small stands of the "Tree of Heaven" and recommended that I cut it all down because it was an invasive species. I don't have an issue cutting the things (except that they stink) but I hate to waste anything usable.  My question is ... is there any real use for this wood?
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

Ianab

Very few woods that you can't use for something.

It does stink when it's green, but that goes away as the wood dries. It can be a bit unstable when drying because of the wide growth rings and different density between them. But if you can get past those issues, it's a usable wood. It can be bent easily when green, but dries into a nice hard wood.  If you had some decent logs I'd certainly slice a few of the better ones up, just because it's shame to waste something.  Even if you end up just making workshop shelves out of it. Not sure about the durability, but apparently insects don't like it, so that's a plus.

As a last resort it's OK as firewood.

Being an invasive species having no commercial value is a good reason to cut them down, but that's not the same as the wood being completely useless.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dracomeister

Thanks for the info.  I just received my new mill (should be set up in a couple of days) and needed something to saw up for practice.  A couple of the trees are 20" and larger so they may become shelves in the shop I'm building. I also burn wood for heat but our winters are relatively mild so a cord lasts the season.  I may cut and split the smaller ones and give them to my neighbors.
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

Silvanus

Use caution when working with this species.  The fumes/smell produced from fresh cut wood is noxious and can cause nausea, diziness, and headaches.  There are journal articles about the poisonous compound in the trees tissue.  I have heard anecdotal evidence about road crews working extensively with it and needing medical attention.
"There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot."  -AL

OneWithWood

Also be aware that if you cut one or cause it physical harm it will sprout aggressively.  I would suggest you use a chemical such as tordon or tryclopir to spray the newly cut stumps and kill any sprouting.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

phinds

It has a strong grain and is easy to turn so you could always cut the boles into bowl blanks for sale to turners.

you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Thank You Sponsors!