iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unmarked Property Lines

Started by mills, July 26, 2014, 04:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mills

I'm currently cutting on land my cousin bought thirty years ago as an investment property. The south end follows the road, old fences mark the north and east sides, but I'm having a heck of a time lining out the west. There are no distinguishable landmarks. My uncle, who's 85 years old now, originally marked the property lines with steel posts. I found the corner one, and another approximately 300 yards away, but I can't tie the two together. We had a major ice storm six years ago that opened the canopy, and now the undergrowth is so thick that you can barely walk through it. Occasionally it opens up enough to see fifty feet or so, but ten to twenty is normal. The farm beside it is owned by a large group of heirs. If I could get them to put out the effort, I would be surprised if any of them could find it either. Some of them can be difficult to work with, but I think they'll sign off as long as I get the line marked fairly close.  I didn't have much luck with Google Earth, or using a compass and the county PVA airial map. My monkey days are over, so climbing a tree is out. I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

WDH

There is no easy fix.  If there is a survey plat that has the bearings and distances, you can get very close with a compass.  Then, you could draft a boundary line agreement spelling out the cut line and get the adjacent landowners to sign and agree to that harvest line without having to agree that it is the exact property line.  Only a re-survey can confirm that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CCC4

Exactly what WDH said...everything! If you sight the line make darn sure you get the adjacent LO and your LO to sign in agreeance that the line is good.

Woodboogah

Agreed. Make sure both parties agree and sign.  If you can find a deed with clear distance and bearings it will be close but not perfect. I know in NH you can search for deeds and property maps online now.  Good luck.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

BargeMonkey

Property lines are the #1 nightmare sometimes. If youve got a certified survey or stamped tax map with bearing it should put you close, we tend to walk lines 2-3x and you can find pins and marks after a while.

ga jones

Get a surveyor to flag that line. It will be cheaper in the end. The last line I got over cost me 550. For 3 trees.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

cutter88

I couldn't agree more its well worth having a forester/surveyor mark your lines out and it looks good that you care enough to have it done, my forester charges me 45 an hour it takes him 3 to 4 hours to put lines on 100 acres
Just my 2 cents...
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

beenthere

I think the time it takes is going to depend upon a lot of things... if choked with brush and trees along the supposed line, likely it will mean cutting out a path.... and then hope the path is in the direction it should be.

And all boils down to time to look, and time to establish some points that will tie in with other known points.

Seems if steel posts were placed 30 years ago, then they should still show up... either standing or knocked down.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OntarioAl

Folks
Up here it is known as a letter of mutual understanding for the purpose of logging. If the adjacent land owner agrees to the marked line and he or she signs off it that's it. If they are in total disagreement or have some wacky idea that the line is somewhere in the middle of your property you will probably need the services of a licensed surveyor.
Al
Al Raman

Ken

Boundary lines here for the most part have been neglected for decades.  Now that adjacent properties which were cut in the past begin to mature, I can foresee a lot of boundary line disputes due to the fact that all the line trees were cut during the last harvest.  I have boundary lines installed on my garmin gps.  These match up with provincial digital maps.  Although not always the same as ground evidence it is a great tool.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

BargeMonkey

Ive only ever had trouble once, and after having the lines run, after being acused it turned out the last logger had cut over on the landowner I was working for, made for uncomfortable neighbors. It usually costs me 250-300 bucks and a case of beer to get a woodlot marked. We "have" a few local logger's up this way who would think nothing of going over the line and hammering the adjoining woodlot if they felt they could get away with it. Did it for years in a 3 county area. NYS named them when they changed the timber theft laws, and like all scum they had nothing to lose anyway.

luvmexfood

With multiple heirs it could be a nightmare I would think. Any one of them could possibly have standingto raise a stink. Just my thoughts.

I remember years ago dad was contacted  by an attorney about a small parcel of land he was a heir to along with many others that he knew nothing about. He just gave his interest to the family member who had been paying the taxes on it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

36 coupe

Do not trust town tax maps.They can be wrong.My east line goes straight back on the tax map.Theres a 400 foot set back on parcel 2.I have a 5 acre lot that has all measurements on the deed.The tax map is wrong on that lot.

chester_tree _farmah

Ha. Maine is notorious for crazy line descriptions.  As said above. U have both posts. Using a GPS will give u direction between. Than compass between by line of site from tree to tree or tree to rock etc. So u site short hops from landmark to landmark marking and clearing as u go. As u hop u look for tell tale signs of old makings. U would be surprised what u may find. 300 yards ain't to bad. If u can't track down the adjacent LO and u know u have a good straight line between posts, flag a line 20 yards on your side and don't cross it to be safe. But best to get LO on both sides to agree.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!