iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

- Firewood prices -

Started by BargeMonkey, July 25, 2014, 10:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Well after only about 6wks of no firewood the phones ringing hard again.  Just wanna ask around and see what its going for in the northeast region, fuels gone up and im not doing it for nothing this year. When the piles gone its gone.  8)

Mapleman

I'm selling my firewood here in Southern Vermont for $205 a full cord, delivered locally.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Woodboogah

I was talking to the truck driver yesterday and he was telling me he is having a heck of a time getting any firewood (log length) seems thats the general consensus in this area all the log length guys cant get it. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

HiTech

We deliver cut/split 10 cord loads for $500. Local only. That is cheap. Fuel costs and equipment upkeep is rising everyday. Also firewood is getting scarce. Everyone is chipping. Next year the price will go up.

Peter Drouin

Can sell it for 250 a cord green. This winter, it will be 300 for dry. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tj240

we sell it log length for 70 a cord off the landing, but you do it cut and split right. hard wood pulp is up so it is hard to get firewood. off the landing the buyer hauls it
if we have to pay the trucker to haul it ranges from 700 to 800 for a 7 cord load depending how for it goes
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

Everyone wants a deal and thats the problem. When we became a HEAP vendor it 2x the amount of insurance required on certain things, plus the associated comp costs. I was 225-240 cash, this year its got to go up. The little guys are getting less and less, and the cost of stuff is going up, planning on stocking up @ boonville in a few weeks.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: HiTech on July 26, 2014, 06:31:42 AM
We deliver cut/split 10 cord loads for $500. Local only. That is cheap. Fuel costs and equipment upkeep is rising everyday. Also firewood is getting scarce. Everyone is chipping. Next year the price will go up.
How far will you deliver ? If I buy say, 500 cord can I get a better discount ?  How are you covering the fuel and saws for 50 a cord ?

HiTech

Quote from: BargeMonkey on July 26, 2014, 08:09:54 AM
How far will you deliver ? If I buy say, 500 cord can I get a better discount ?  How are you covering the fuel and saws for 50 a cord ?
They are face cords, not full cords. We cut locally and sell to the same people year after year. Our farthest customer might be 20 miles away. We don't sell log length.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: HiTech on July 26, 2014, 08:23:23 AM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on July 26, 2014, 08:09:54 AM
They are face cords, not full cords. We cut locally and sell to the same people year after year. Our farthest customer might be 20 miles away. We don't sell log length.
Ok good, I was getting excited figuring I could just buy 500 cord, double my money and mothball my skidder for the winter.  :D 
Friend of mine lives out western part of the state and they use that dirty word "face cord" also, i rarely see it advertised that way around here anymore. Watching a woodpile dry is better than money in the bank these days.  8)

GRANITEstateMP

I'm just a little guy only do about 30 cord a year.  I'm in the SE part of NH and I'm getting $220 a cord green, delivered (10 miles or less) right now.  As Woodboogah said, tree length is tough to get your hands on right now, should push the selling price up in the next couple months.  I got a used Hakki 1x37 processor this year and was hoping to bump up from 30 to 50 cord, now I'll be happy just to take care of my regular customers.  I'm  hoping to get a couple cord stashed away and drying so come mid January I can put up the C-List add and get $310!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

beenthere

QuoteThey are face cords, not full cords.

Something just not right about saying cord, and not clarifying it to say "face cord" when it really is a face cord, and not a cord. Much like saying poplar when meaning (or not) yellow poplar or tulip poplar.   (end of rant  :) )

Likely why states have tried to correct this with standard units of measure.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodhauler

I have to pay 100 a cord on the yard!!! Selling for 125-140 a cord!!Tree lenghth!!!! :o
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

BargeMonkey

I look at it as more a regional thing, when I went to pick up an engine this spring out in Mexico NY all the signs said "facecord", and all the guys talked wood volume that way. Problem ive noticed is when you break that magic # it becomes a pain in the a$$. Need 2-3 trucks, more help, more wood. I read about these guys up north doing 3k+ cord a year, they can have it. I could sell 100 cord log length right now, im just sick of powerlines, people wanting it so close to the house, my insurance has stayed lower for a reason.

deastman

Up here in eastern and northern Maine it is running between $215 -250 per cord for cut, split and delivered
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Ken

Firewood in log form has gotten very scarce in this area this year.  Prices are 135-150/cord delivered if you can find it and green cut, split and delivered is $250-275/cord.  Wish we had more access to hardwood this year.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

EFR

Wow.  I'm doing something wrong;  I'm selling log length on the landing for $60/cord.

timberlinetree

Me to I'm only getting 325-400 a load.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

bill m

Quote from: EFR on July 27, 2014, 12:58:08 AM
Wow.  I'm doing something wrong;  I'm selling log length on the landing for $60/cord.
Quote from: timberlinetree on July 27, 2014, 05:55:34 AM
Me to I'm only getting 325-400 a load.
I Know it can cost a lot to keep a log truck on the road ( I have my own ) but I don't think the truckers should be getting 350 to 400 just for delivery.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ryan D

Quote from: Ken on July 26, 2014, 09:00:44 PM
Firewood in log form has gotten very scarce in this area this year.  Prices are 135-150/cord delivered if you can find it and green cut, split and delivered is $250-275/cord.  Wish we had more access to hardwood this year.

We're in the same boat in NS. Our new biomass boiler in Cape Breton is eating up all of the hardwood it seems. I've been lucky to get on a few lots lately that have had a good amount of hardwood and orders have been brisk. I don't even advertise but seem to get 3 or 4 calls per week. We're selling for $250/cord now but the price will go up in the fall. I have about 20 cords stashed away drying for the winter which will go for $300+ this winter.

chester_tree _farmah

Wow. 500 cut and split. That is cheap!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

BargeMonkey

Ive got a wholesale customer, who I will probably drop 50 cord too, who is reselling it, delivered and stacked for 600+ a cord to the ritzy ski chalets, hows that for a profit increase.

glassman_48

bargemonkey,
there are a lot of firewood guys now taking dino bags or palletized firewood and dropping them off at places like you just mentioned.  You have to have a much different trucking set up than most of us use now.  One guy makes weekly rounds and drops a bag in the driveway and picks up his bag he left the week before. 

BargeMonkey

My cousin does the bundles, and 1 guy does it wrapped on pallets, its more of a time thing. I have about 30 metal baskets that hold 1/2 a cord each, and I could hypothetically drop wood of with them. We ran out of wood 4 seasons ago and got stuck buying wood log length from up north to supply our contract customers. We can fill the baskets and put 6 of them in our kiln, rotating them every 3-5 days and stay ahead if we had to.

Mark K

The state job I just moved onto is 194k ft with roughly 22 truck and pup loads of log length firewood according to the contract. I started making calls to sell it before I started. Sold all of it in a day. Mill is constantly getting bombarded with calls looking for log length. Must be none to be had.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!