iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two Men and a Sawmill

Started by sawwood, July 25, 2014, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

Tuesday I had a repeat customer bring out 3 Walnut logs for us to mill. The first one was
almost to big for the mill but after some trimming we were able to mill it. I almost
forgot to turn on the camera to make a movie of us cutting it. It's a long video on
YouTube, about 26 minutes or so. The logs were only 5' long and all total we had only
246bf of lumber. The last log was too short to fit the mill so I traded him some oak for
the log.

http://youtu.be/slQGxubdCpw
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Ljohnsaw

I'm not very familiar with milling (yet).  It looks like you have some sort of stop blocks that you take out to lower the saw.  No other locking device to hold the head in place when cutting?  Was that 2" boards you were cutting?  Any idea what he was going to use them on/for?  Looked like some pretty wood!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bill Gaiche

That should make him some nice furniture material. bg

sawwood

John the mill is a Norwood mark 4 with a 20hp Honda. Yes we have blocks the are used to set the head to the
thickness of lumber we want. After each cut you remove a block and drop the head down for the next cut. No
more trying to read a scale. We have blocks for each size of lumber, make for fast work cutting. The customer
will make table tops with the Walnut after is air dyes.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

dboyt

Looks like a great day at the mill.  Good to hear that the blocks work well.  I've been thinking about getting some for mine, as well.  It looks like having the mill close to the ground makes loading and turning a lot easier.  What are you going to do with the short piece?  Thanks for posting!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!