iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Mill to be delivered tomorrow!

Started by Dracomeister, July 24, 2014, 08:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracomeister

New to the forum and relatively new to Forestry but a long time woodworker (40+ years). Ordered a new Woodlands HM126 Sunday and it will be delivered tomorrow!  I have a small place in the hills of Tennessee (65 acres) all in hardwood except the 5 acres around the house (log, of course) so now all I need is some advice about what to cut for my first milling project. I have a lightening killed White Oak about 30" in diameter that is still standing and I thought about cutting it for furniture lumber.  I think I can get three 10' logs out of the trunk that will fit the mill, any reason that wouldn't work? :-\
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

thecfarm

Dracomeister,welcome to the forum. That 30 incher on a manual mill will work just fine. With a Logrite cantdog or peavey.  logrite_cool They are a sponsor on the left. With any mill,but especially a manual mill, you will need something to turn those logs!! How are you getting the logs to the sawmill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

glassman_48

dracomeister,
welcome to the forum, I have looked at the woodland also and gave them a phone call.  They were very up front about shipping etc.  Let us know how you like your mill.  There is a lot of wisdom here on this forum, I learn something every time I come on the forum,,,,,,,,good luck,,,,,,,,,ed

WDH

A 30", dead, white oak log is a pretty tough one to start with  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is absolutely what I thought.  I would suggest becoming familiar with your sawmill by sawing Pine or Cedar.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum Dracomeister.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dracomeister

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure the Oak was the way to go but it was a beautiful tree and I'd sure like to turn it into furniture!  CFarm, I have a Kubota L3800 HST that should snake it out of the woods and if that fails, I have a friend with a brace of 18 hand pulling mules! My land is about as close to vertical as you want to walk on but I have fire trails that get to just about all of it.  Based on all of your recommendations, I have a 20" Cedar that came down in the last storm that I think I will start on.  Thanks again!
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dracomeister
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rooster 58

Hey there Dracomeister,

Welcome to the forum ;)

goose63

Hi there Dracomeister welcome to the Forum I have the Woodland mill and like it get your self a logrite you will need it  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

You still need to utilize the White Oak, I just would not let it be the "first".   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Welcome, Dracomeister!  Good luck with your first (and then second, third, ...) log!  It is addictive!

How about a few pix of your woodworking projects when you get some time?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Hilltop366

Congrats on the new mill!

I would start with some less desirable logs at first then work your way up to the ones you really want once you get things dialled in.. No sense making fire wood of the good ones.

Joe Hillmann

I think my first 7 or 8 "logs" were pieces that should have been firewood.  I think the big end of the largest one was 10 inches.  That way I could get used to the machine without worrying about ruining a good log. 

With those first logs I mostly made blocking, so it didn't mater if what I ended up with was straight, square, wavy, had the pith centered or the same size at each end.  Those first logs taught me a lot about my mill plus one of the first things you need when you have a mill is blocking, to level the mill, to keep you good logs off the ground, and to stack your lumber on.  I would have hated to cut a good log in to blocking to put on the ground to keep my lumber piles up off the ground.

Magicman

When I bought my sawmill I had never even seen one in operation, and got no sawing instructions/training from the previous owner.  After reading the operator's manual and going through the mechanics of what lever did what, I skidded some beetle killed Pine out and started making some sawdust.  I did lotsa bad things, but I gradually gained sawing confidence. 

Thank You Sponsors!