iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anybody here done time behind bars?

Started by bigred1951, July 24, 2014, 06:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

I have currently served going on 2 years. Still got 23 years left to go  :o . Working that is haha. I tryed to figure up the other day how much time working 40 hours a week there for 25 years what that would equal up to in years. Then that would be how long ive spent in prison lol

Dave Shepard

One of my blacksmithing buddies tells people that he was in jail for 30 years, but he went home every night.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 24, 2014, 06:26:22 PM
One of my blacksmithing buddies tells people that he was in jail for 30 years, but he went home every night.  :D

There's a lot of guys doing time like that.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

goose63

After 46 years thy felt sorry for me and gave me a pardon  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

samandothers

Never a bartender! So I recon my time has been in front of bars.

redprospector

Wow! I thought you were actually talking about spending time in jail.  :D
I feel for you guy's that feel your occupation is like imprisonment. I've always enjoyed what I have done for a living...well...except for one job. I actually liked the job, it was the supervisor that I didn't care for. Once we got rid of him everything was good.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

bigred1951

sad thing is my job does feel like imprisonment because it is. Im a guard at a prison

Den Socling

I've been up for parole a few times but it looks like a life sentence. But sometimes, I actually enjoy it.

r.man

Do you have weekenders at your jail, because a weekender joke might say something about someone's home life.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Sixacresand

Did my time.  I had some great times, but can't forget fighting to stay awake on midnight shifts and having to leave for work on Sunday afternoons.  I do enjoy waking up now to coffee and not having to go anywhere.     
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

chet

Quote from: bigred1951 on July 24, 2014, 06:20:39 PM
I have currently served going on 2 years. Still got 23 years left to go  :o . Working that is haha. I tryed to figure up the other day how much time working 40 hours a week there for 25 years what that would equal up to in years. Then that would be how long ive spent in prison lol

5.9 years assuming no overtime  ;D

I did my time, retired last June.  :)  The part I hated the most, was being mandated a least once a week for a double.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SLawyer Dave

I had just graduated from law school and was clerking for a criminal defense attorney.  One of my first jobs was to go into the local county jail and be the "chain of evidence" for a dna sample that was being taken from an inmate.  Now this particular inmate had spent 35 of his 50 years in some sort of lock up, and on a "short" period of freedom, was again up on numerous felony charges.  So I went in with the private investigator who was actually going to be taking the sample.  They locked the two of us into a jail cell, and then brought in the "client".  I'm glad we were on "his" side.  He had to be 6'5, 300 lbs, covered in prison tattoos, topped off with 3 tear drops tattooed under his left eye.  As it turned out, he was an enforcer for a white supremecist gang in prison, and allegedly killed 3 men with his bare hands while in prison, (which is what the tears represented).  He was actually very nice and polite to us.

After the guards led him out and the investigator and I were left locked in the cell, I asked him, "So if he had wanted to kill us....", and the investigator immediately finished with, "Oh yeah, we would have been dead before the guards could have even gotten in here".   

I realized at that time that I really didn't like "being behind bars", even if it was voluntary and only for a short time.   

I've known a lot of jailers/prison guards over the years, and the one thing I hear from them, and have seen with my own eyes, is that such a career tends to change people.  So lots of respect to all of those out there who have worked hard to keep their fellow officers and the rest of us safe from such threats.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: redprospector on July 24, 2014, 08:30:55 PM
I feel for you guy's that feel your occupation is like imprisonment. I've always enjoyed what I have done for a living...well...except for one job. I actually liked the job, it was the supervisor that I didn't care for. Once we got rid of him everything was good.  ;)

To clarify, my friend was a CO, not an inmate.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Texas Ranger

I did my time in front of the bars, with a cold one in my hand.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

kevin19343

I was incarcerated in 2003  for armed robbery, extortion, kidnapping, money laundering, conspiracy, aggravated assault, and a few more
I've forgotten.

I was able to escape 11 years ago and have been living on the outside ever since. 8)

Please don't rat me out.

bigred1951

no we dont have any weekenders there. Its a medium security prison but we run it like its max. The only time they go home is when there time is up.

chet

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 25, 2014, 10:34:39 AM
Quote from: redprospector on July 24, 2014, 08:30:55 PM

To clarify, my friend was a CO, not an inmate.

What most folks don't realize, is the negative atmosphere that goes with working in a prison. And that it's hard leaving each day with the feeling you accomplished anything, other than you and your buddies are going home.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Black_Bear

Quote from: bigred1951 on July 24, 2014, 06:20:39 PM
I tryed to figure up the other day how much time working 40 hours a week there for 25 years what that would equal up to in years. Then that would be how long ive spent in prison lol

I don't remember the last time I worked a 40 hour week. Try these numbers: 60 hours/week times 40 years. You'll be 63 in 40 years. The trick is to find a job that doesn't seem like work.

lumberjack48

I never worked a job i didn't like, if i didn't like it, i quit 8) and i was not a hourly man.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

kczbest

I worked 8 years of swing shifts with one of the pulp/paper companies. I got tired of butt kissers and the inept being put into management positions so just over 8 years ago I went into business for myself. I work more hours and have a lot less time off but after an especially rough day when my Wife asks "how was your day", I simply say it was better than working at "X".
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Roxie

Cowboy Bob has his own business as a livestock broker and hauler.  It never ceases to amuse me when he comes home and tells me his boss is an idiot.   :D
Say when

oros35

It's the location for me that feels like prison, the job has it's moments but I've done worse. 

As I look out my office window I see 3 guard towers, complete with armed guards, plus there is one on my roof.  Out the other side is several rows of razor fence, motion detectors, and visible and infrared cameras.  Camera's everywhere.  To get to my office I had to go through bomb detectors, metal detectors, armed guards, hand geometry scanner, and use my badge.   

Where - Nuclear Power Plant

chet

Quote from: oros35 on July 28, 2014, 12:25:03 PM
It's the location for me that feels like prison, the job has it's moments but I've done worse. 

As I look out my office window I see 3 guard towers, complete with armed guards, plus there is one on my roof.  Out the other side is several rows of razor fence, motion detectors, and visible and infrared cameras.  Camera's everywhere.  To get to my office I had to go through bomb detectors, metal detectors, armed guards, hand geometry scanner, and use my badge.   

Where - Nuclear Power Plant

All you were missing was da baby rapers, drug dealers, and murderers.   ;)

rooster 58

I'm on parole right now. But they're lookin' for me now cuz I ain't been to see my parole officer. As soon as they find me I'll be back at the Auburn State Correctional Facility in NY, where we are changing out security windows in the cell block areas. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!