iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

zucchini again

Started by Den Socling, July 23, 2014, 10:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

We are once again up to our ears in zucchini. Every meal has some kind of zucchini. The other night, Patti made stuffed Zucchini. She used small zucchini and stuffed them like stuffed peppers. Very good. At the moment, I'm eating apple crisp. Just the apples are out and zucchini is in. You can't tell the difference.

SPIKER

had a couple with some yellow squash fried with hamburger and onions all crumbled together, had some good eating there ;)  8)   that was 2 nights ago, tonight was a stop by McDees for their 49 cent cheeseburgers on Wed Night.   the Zuc & Squash was 10 times better & made it myself... ;D
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Den Socling

Yes, Patti makes a good casserole with zucchini, hamburger, corn, tomatoes and onion. Very good stuff!

SLawyer Dave

The zucchini I can't give away or eat, I shred and freeze as I like to add it to pretty much any tomato based sauces I make during the year.  Gives it a really good flavor and thickens the sauce. 

goose63

Chocolate zucchini bread is good tooooo ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

drobertson

It's all good, anyway you do it!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SPIKER

Quote from: SLawyer Dave on July 24, 2014, 01:37:58 AM
The zucchini I can't give away or eat, I shred and freeze as I like to add it to pretty much any tomato based sauces I make during the year.  Gives it a really good flavor and thickens the sauce.
We also have done same, we add small chunks to our red sauce for spaghetti use off shelf stuff for the main part but add hamburger; zucchini, peppers, onions etc...   We make a pretty big pot and freeze all the extra. 8)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

thecfarm

goose,you beat me to it. Ours have just started.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gary_C

Zucchini is responsible for the small town rule to always lock your car in the summer when it's unattended. If you don't, someone will leave a bag of Zucchini inside. There's not much defense if you drive a pickup unless you have a lockable topper.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

luvmexfood

Don't know if this would work for zucchini but I did it a lot with Okra. Rolled it in cornmeal and fried. Then when it was done I would spread on a big cookie sheet and set under a ceiling fan on high and stirred a couple of times. When it was good and cool I would bag and freeze. Then in the winter would let it thaw a little so it would break apart and warm in a skillet.

Not as good as fresh but not bad either.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Sheepkeeper

When we still lived on the farm and were overrun with zucchini we would sneak out in the middle of the night and stick some in the neighbour's mailboxes  ;D . Fun times!
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

36 coupe

My son makes a good zucchini bread.Wife make a pie with zucchini and onions.She makes a relish with zucchini that is so good that I wont eat cucumber relish now.I make sweet pickles with zucchini in a gallon jar.In spite of the foolish jokes we are fortunate to have such a fast growing vegetable.

sandhills

I have to agree, dad will run it through a grater and fry them up like hash browns with a little butter, he's also freezes it that way. 

goose63

Was in the post office this morning some one left a big bag of it on the counter and walked off
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

21incher

The wife and I tried some new recipes with squash this year.

First we made yellow squash pickles from the ball blue book recipe and they are delicious. I was surprised how crispy the squash stayed.

Then we made a batch of zucchini sweet relish that tastes just like the sweet relish you buy in the store. That one took a while to chop.

And then everything else goes in a marinated salad called Jew Salad. That recipe came from a friends grandmother just before she passed. She made up the recipe while working as a cook during the depression for some Jewish people and never shared it with anyone. She knew I loved and passed it on to me so I am the only one that now has this recipe.

The only problem is my beer refrigerator in the basement is still full of zucchini ;D ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

I made something called zuchinnia taco boats last night. brown up some ground turkey with your taco seasonings and onions and stuff in it. cleaned out a few of the squash like boats, boiled them for a minute or so, filled em with the taco meat, top with cheeseand bake for 30 minutes. if you do not cook the squash til its soft its not as good imo. 400 degrees on the oven.
oh yeah I used a 1/4 cup of the squash guts in with the taco meat.
im sure there is a more accurate recipe online,

Thank You Sponsors!