iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simple single level corner design help.

Started by DGK, July 22, 2014, 09:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

Hello Timber Framers,

This is my first post in this section as I am not a Timber Framer. I am however, erecting a "post & beam" style of carport using heavy metal connectors. I can imagine that those you whom are experienced in TF joinery are cringing at the idea of using metal and simple joints, please bear with me on this one, as time is of the essence. I am short on time and needing to get this thing up without a long learning curve on TF joinery.

I have a back corner of the carport that has 2- 6X10 beams connecting at 90 degrees to one another and will be placed on top of a 6X6 post. One of the beams carries the load from the roof, the other has very little load on it as it is a gable style end (don't ask for drawings please  :-[). I was wanting the load carrying beam to extend beyond the post for a short way for some end detail. The other beam, (the non-load carrying one) needs to butt up against the load carrying beam and rest on the post. I have some heavy 90 degree gusseted plates that can connect and support the not load carrying beam to the post. I thought to put a simple 10" long tenon (or spline) into the end of the non-load carrying beam to prevent the beam from twisting. I figure that a slot and spline would be very easy and quick to cut using a circular saw.

If you are able to visualize the corner as described, comments and or suggestions would be most appreciated.  :)

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Remle

DGK

I am not a timber framer, this is only my impression of the problem at hand..  Whether the beam twists or not, is more a question of it splitting while drying  and internal stresses. Cutting the end for the spline will only weaken the area of the joint!! Using the materials at hand, a 90° gusset under neath and one say on the vertical interior of the two beams would seem the best alternative to the problem at hand. An "L" bracket on the front of the post and beam to which the gusset's could be attached with through bolts would make it more secure. I look forward to others comments on the situation.

DGK

Thanks Remie, I too look forward to hear other ideas.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Thank You Sponsors!