iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Illegal maple syrup!!

Started by timberlinetree, July 22, 2014, 05:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

While Marcia & the girls were flying down south

they had a little trouble or ran into some hungry TSA workers! We always bring those little maple leaf syrup bottles witch only contain around 5oz. Well they took all three bottles! They didn't care about the big facewash bottle full of all types of stuff I can't even spell/say. I never would have thought that maple syurp was on the do not fly list. :-[ :-[
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

goose63

Them cheap dogs were just looking for free maple syrup
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Chuck White

Wow, I don't understand that one!

However, if it were me, the TSA would not confiscate the syrup, if I were to lose it in the end, I would pour it on the ground rather than one of them taking it home!  >:(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jargo432

Did you talk to a manager? 
Jack of all trades.

21incher

Those southerners will do anything to get good maple syrup. I would have chugged it and given them the empty bottles. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

clearcut

The 3-1-1 rule has been around for a couple of years now. Enforcement is somewhat random in my experience.

From TSA.gov:

Quote3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces, and they don't have to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. TSA officers may need to open them for additional screening.

If in doubt, put your liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes in checked baggage.

If you had declared the maple syrup as a medically necessary liquid, you could have possibly brought it aboard. How can maple syrup be medically necessary? A diabetic subject to hypoglycemia (dangerously low blood sugar) needs a quick source of sugar available. It's up to the TSA agent.

Now do you feel safer?
Carbon sequestered upon request.

r.man

My wife lost good jams and similar foods a few years ago.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

StimW

People have reported that Illegal Aliens were being loaded on airplanes without going through TSA screening while they had to stand in line and be checked!!
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Raider Bill

Isn't the max liquid of any kind you can carry on 3 oz?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LeeB

No, containers of less than 3oz and must all fit in a single quart sized ziplock bag. PITA
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

You are allowed to bring one small bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes through the checkpoint. These are limited to 3.4 ounces or less per container. Consolidating these containers in the small bag separate from your carry-on baggage enables TSA officers to screen them quickly.

3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring.

Be prepared. Each time a TSA officer stops to physically screen a carry-on bag, it slows down the line. Practicing the 3-1-1 rule will facilitate the checkpoint experience.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces, and they don't have to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. TSA officers may need to open them for additional screening.

If in doubt, put your liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes in checked baggage.
Inbound international flights

You may now carry liquids more than 100 mL in your carry-on bag if:

You are traveling internationally into the United States with a connecting flight;
    they are in transparent containers;
    you bought them at a duty-free shop, and
    the store packed them in a secure, tamper-evident bag.

If your liquids are not in a secure, tamper-evident bag, you must pack them in your checked bag.

If the liquids alarm during screening, we will need to screen them further.

LeeB

Didn't know about the larger amount for carry on with connections from international flights. I wonder how much more. I like to buy the liquor filled chocolates every now and then when I come through Frankfurt. Used to mean checking my bag when I got into the States. another PITA. Be nice to be able to just carry them. I don't check a bag unless I have to. They get misplaced to often, especially going over. Not so bad coming home.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Couple months ago I flew to Chattanooga , do it all the time out of St Pete same TSA people every time. I had a full sized tooth paste tube 5 oz net weight not fluid oz. it was over 3/4 empty no more than a shot glass left but because the tube said 5oz I had to chuck it.

On the other hand 1 time I was bringing bulk bacon back. Knoxville TSA pulled me aside to search my backpack asked me what it was. I said 12 lbs of smoked bacon. Guy asked where I got it.
I said it's Bentons bacon,
Bentons in Madisonville?
Yep sure is.
He goes that's the best bacon in the world and passed me through.

LeeB

Not a liquid, powder, or gel.  :D

kevin19343

The TSA confiscated some pancake batter from us just last week.....Coincidence?

luvmexfood

Quote from: clearcut on July 22, 2014, 09:05:20 AM
The 3-1-1 rule has been around for a couple of years now. Enforcement is somewhat random in my experience.

From TSA.gov:

Quote3-1-1 for carry-ons. Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring.

If you had declared the maple syrup as a medically necessary liquid, you could have possibly brought it aboard. How can maple syrup be medically necessary? A diabetic subject to hypoglycemia (dangerously low blood sugar) needs a quick source of sugar available. It's up to the TSA agent.

Now do you feel safer?

Pretty sure you would need a letter from a doctor and then probably not. You could always get some OJ with sugar added on the plane.

Before the TSA when it was contract screeners, low pay and not exactly, well you know, but ocassionally they would get one who liked to exercise his authority. Well someone came through with an urn containing their loved ones ashes. Well this screener decided he needed to open even though the person had a certified copy of the death certificate and a letter from the funeral home. He spilled the ashes everywhere including on the carpet. Passenger raised heck. We, as Airport Police had to respond. What can you say to an upset passenger in a situation such as that.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

whitepine2

Quote from: Chuck White on July 22, 2014, 06:57:33 AM
Wow, I don't understand that one!

However, if it were me, the TSA would not confiscate the syrup, if I were to lose it in the end, I would pour it on the ground rather than one of them taking it home!  >:(
Ditto on that. Might be that they needed it for there Grits???

timberlinetree

Marcia works in accounting so she's good at the number thing and thorough. She got the 2.8 oz bottles (3 of them) opps I got the size wrong because of the regulation. They did ask if she wanted to check her bag but she was in a rush and didn't want the extra hassle. I thought they were just doing their job but now this is starting to seem suspicious. What do they do with all the compensated stuff? I hope donate. >:(

Raider Bill

Quote from: timberlinetree on July 23, 2014, 05:53:51 AM
Marcia works in accounting so she's good at the number thing and thorough. She got the 2.8 oz bottles (3 of them) opps I got the size wrong because of the regulation. They did ask if she wanted to check her bag but she was in a rush and didn't want the extra hassle. I thought they were just doing their job but now this is starting to seem suspicious. What do they do with all the compensated stuff? I hope donate. >:(

They have a couple auctions in this area with confiscated stuff. Mostly you have to buy bulk like say 500 knives at a time or so.

gunman63

heres one for ya, my neighbor lady is a TSA  lady,  if u freeze your liquids to a solid u can take them thru the carry on over 3 oz., go figure

beenthere

Quoteif u freeze your liquids to a solid u can take them thru the carry on over 3 oz.,

Seems to be a big "if" because, seems to me, they wouldn't stay frozen long enough to get through or past the TSA lady.

Or is there a way...  maybe carry them in a liquid nitrogen thermos?   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on July 25, 2014, 11:01:51 PM

..  maybe carry them in a liquid nitrogen thermos?   ;)

Yeh Boy......I can see the TSA taking the lid off the thermos and smoke coming-out.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clearcut

Don't count on freezing a water bottle.

According to TSA.gov

QuoteFrozen gels/liquids are permitted if required to cool medical and infant/child exemptions. Frozen gels/liquids for any other purpose are not permitted.

...travelers may bring medically necessary liquids in excess of 3.4 ounces in their carry-on baggage. Medically necessary liquids need not fit within a quart-sized bag. Accessories required to cool medically necessary liquids– such as freezer packs or frozen gel packs – are also permitted through the screening checkpoint, as are supplies that are associated with medically necessary liquids, such as IV bags, pumps and syringes.  These items are also exempt from the 3-1-1 Rule, but may be subject to additional screening

Accessories required to keep medically necessary items cool are treated as liquids unless they are frozen solid at the checkpoint. If these accessories are partially frozen or slushy, they are subject to the same screening as other medically necessary liquids.

You can declare a bottle of liquid before screening as medically necessary. Factory sealed preferred. And have your story ready - "I'm on diuretic medication. My doctor says I must have water to stay hydrated and to take my medications. I may not have enough time to purchase water after screening. I can't depend on being able to get water on the flight if there is turbulence. Are you going to discriminate against me for a medical condition?"

Remember it is always up to the TSA agent who may be inadequately trained or simply does not remember all of the many and often changing rules. It's rarely worth the effort.

On my last flights, I brought an empty wide mouth water bottle. After screening I went to one of the restaurants, and asked them to fill it with ice water. Better than paying $3 for a small bottle.

I used to fly a lot. The TSA owns too many of my "dangerous" items, but never my maple syrup!
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Chuck White

The Maple Syrup won't freeze either!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

timberlinetree

So did they have the RIGHT to take it? :-\

Thank You Sponsors!