iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which gas do you all you

Started by DanManofStihl, July 14, 2004, 01:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanManofStihl

I was wondering which brand of gas you all perfer maybe one over another and which octane rating 87 89 or 93.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

beenthere

Same gas I put in my auto, and its the lowest price on the pump, and beyond that, I don't know anything about it. Once upon a time, when the switch away from leaded gas was made, I worried and fussed about it because I had some old engines that I worried about. Also, there is some concern now over methanol, but I haven't paid any more attention to it.
How about you?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

OneWithWood

I burn premium in all my small engines.  Around here that is 92 Octane.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

oldsaw

in an 066. Years ago, I was told it was bad to have alcohol in oil mixed gas.  I'm sure the new oil blends work okay, but I've always done it, and I still have it available.  The saw doesn't make any funny noises and cuts like the dickens.

If it ain't broken...

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

iain

car 95
wm&stihls 97/98
makes a good differance when your pushing them

iain

TJACK

93  plus  I want the saw to burn clean

TJACK

1953greg

highest octane available.  in west kentucky thats 93.  it definitely burns cooler and heat is the killer of 2 cycle engines.  my guess is 50-75* cooler.  i use a 42" bar w/ a 36" mill on an 066.  need all the coolness i can get.  no difference in power.
greg50
good day    greg

maple flats

I've been told by pros that the higher the octane the better when it comes to 2 cycle engines :, but I never for some reason do it, I'll use the lowest price every time. ??? ;D
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

weimedog

I use 100LL Av-Gas with Mobil One MX2T oil mixed at 30:1 on one of my really old saws and 32:1 on my other vintage saws, new saw and ALL my motorcycles.

When I can't get 100LL I use 93 octane from a Mobil station where it has a dedicated hose to the distributer from the high octane storage tank..NOT one of those "mixer" deals. I know that we don't have alcohol in our fuel out here yet.

I lose a bit of power with that higher octane stuff but the payoff is a cooler running saw..especially when I'm milling. (To maximize power from fuel choise you want to use the LOWEST octane fuel your compression & timing setup will allow)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

davefrommd

I use 92 octaine in all my chainsaws. I don't know if it's my imagination but since using 92 all my chainsaws seemed to start more easily. As far as brand I use mostly exxon because there mostly in this area and never had a quality problem.  I use shell and exxon 87 octaine in my truck.  My chainsaws have priority and come first. ::)  dave

Lobo

I use 91 to 93 octane from high quality petroleum company stations where gas moves fast so it is replenished with fresh product every 2-3 days.

I never buy cut-rate gas as they are normally moving old product.

thecfarm

I don't worry about brand,but use the highest octane I can get for all of my small motors.Seems like 92 is the highest.When I bought my chainsaw I was told to go with a higher octane.In my vehicles I use the lowest grade.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jjmk98k

92  for the saws  I only mix a gallon at a time, if it's not used 60 days from when I bought it ( marked on my calender) it gets dumped into my 5 gal. "old gas" can to be burned

87 for the Chevy Blazer unless I am towing, then I move to 92 as well for that.

Also run premuim in my ATV.

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

rebocardo

KiwiCharlie

Hi Jim,
I only give it 2 weeks and then I wont use mixed gas in my saws.  It goes into my car at that point.  I only mix up as much as I think I will need at any one time.
Dont know if our gas is much different to your guys, but the stabilisers do go off fast.
Oh yeah - what the thread is about - I use 91 in my saws!  :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

jjmk98k

kiwi,

I used to do it every 30 days, then moved it out to 60. Our gas stations are VERY busy around here ( Near Philadelphia , PA)  and the gas I think is somewhat fresh. I have had good luck and performance up to the 60 day mark, after that I just felt it was too old.  I use the Husqvarna mix with gas stabilizer in it, so I am guessing the 60 day mark is ok. I am NOT a pro by any means.

This is why I am buying a Husky trimmer, it uses the 50:1 mix as well.

Right now I have mix for the Sears Weed trimmer 32:1, giving this to my father in law, let him worry abut that added mix of gas/oil in the shed.!

old ...VERY old chain saw Remington Mighty Mite Bantum that i use to cut skids ( pallets) for starter wood, 16:1!!!

my Husq 350 50:1

You dump it in the car? guess it does not hurt anything with emissions stuff or perhaps the oil gets so diluted it does not matter??

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

KiwiCharlie

Hi Jim,
I dont use the after market stabilisers in my mix, so I like to keep the time short.  A busy gas station is good!  At least you know the gas is fresh.
The old gas mix is fine in the car - does it no harm at all, and that way nothing gets wasted.  And yes, the oil would be very well diluted.  Its never more than a few litres either.
Your mix ratios sound good for the gear you have.  Must make for a few containers!  :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

jjmk98k

Yes TOO many containers, thats why i am "phasing out" the older stuff and going with equipment that all share the same mix!

But that old remington, I love that thing, My mom bought it at a yard sale for me 6 years ago for $5. I gave it a new plug and sharpened the chain, the thing runs fine, even with it's dinky 12" bar. Almost hate to retire it.

Jim

rebocardo

If you dump a gallon of 40:1 into your tank that holds at least 14 gallons, then the mix becomes 600:1, if you have 19 gallons in there, then it becomes 800:1, a pretty small amount.

tony_marks

devo

I always try to use 91 octane. Like others have said, I don't notice a power difference, but a lot less heat with the good stuff. I mix 50:1.
Crazy enough to try it! (once)

SwampDonkey

I'm with Kevin, 90 octane or better in any engine I run.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

minesmoria

I also use 91 octane sometime 94 from chevron.

StihlCarver046

premium 93 stihl oil 50:1 in all my Stihls.

Thank You Sponsors!