iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Insurance

Started by delvis, July 20, 2014, 10:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

Hello all,

I just wanted to relay an experience I had recently changing my sawmill insurance carrier from a local agent and two different companies to Margeson and Associates out of New York, who are featured here as sponsors on the side bar and go by MAI on the forum.  I contacted DJ Rossi and was able to take care of everything with one phone call and several faxes back and forth.  The policy is comparable to the old one I had, with both liability and comprehensive and the price was slightly lower, but that wasn't the main reason for wanting to switch.  My local agent was trying to find a new carrier that would cover sawmills without much luck.  Even once she found one, I still had to deal with two different carriers and two different sets of bills with one being payable only in full once a year for $600 and the other being over $200 every quarter.  It's not easy to pay that much at once with a small sideline business that brings in about $10,000 a year gross. 

Anyway, Margeson and Associates allowed me finance the premium over 9 months with a down payment and the whole transition was painless.  I would recommend them to anyone who doesn't have insurance, they have a plan that will work for you.  Either way, I urge people to get insurance if you're even thinking about sawing off your own property.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

woodNthings

Glad to hear you had a good experience with them, DJ supplied me with the same treatment activating my coverage. I too am just a side bussiness LLC guy but definately see the need to be insured.
Lets hope we never need to put it to use!
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

JohnM

Now if they would just cover swing mills. :(  Insurance is such a PITA.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

ET

I just sent them an email about getting me a quote as my current insurance is at its annual renewal time. Im currently paying $2500 annually.  If anyone on FF has swingmill insurance cheaper than this please respond on this thread. Thanks
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

beenthere

What does that $2500 cover?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ET

It covers lots of small stuff like debris removal, equipment rental, pollutant cleanup, etc if you cause a problem at customer site, plus 1,000,000/2,000,000 personal injury/ medical. These are the required limits for doing offsite jobs for large operations/organizations.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

MAI

Thanks for the feedback.  Myself and other agents strive to be as efficient and informative as possible when speaking with everyone. I'll do whatever it takes to assist someone whether during normal business hours or from home.  Having a program servicing all 50 states requires me to contact many people in the evenings.  Whether we secure the business or not, our company president, Mark Margeson, has always stated that our job is to at least educate and inform everyone we speak with.

FYI: Are your mills covered for perils such as floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and wild fires?  I'm getting a lot of calls from new people around the country regarding this.   Something to check on with your current agent/insurance company.

As far as swing blade insurance, our program wasn't designed to accommodate that type of mill.  Sorry about that guys.

Thanks again for the comments,

DJ   

JohnM

Quote from: MAI on July 21, 2014, 12:00:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback.  Myself and other agents strive to be as efficient and informative as possible when speaking with everyone. I'll do whatever it takes to assist someone whether during normal business hours or from home.  Having a program servicing all 50 states requires me to contact many people in the evenings.  Whether we secure the business or not, our company president, Mark Margeson, has always stated that our job is to at least educate and inform everyone we speak with.

FYI: Are your mills covered for perils such as floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and wild fires?  I'm getting a lot of calls from new people around the country regarding this.   Something to check on with your current agent/insurance company.

As far as swing blade insurance, our program wasn't designed to accommodate that type of mill.  Sorry about that guys.

Thanks again for the comments,

DJ
I'm curious, DJ, what(how/why) are the differences between a bandmill vs a swing mill from an insurance aspect?  Obviously the mills go about it differently but in the end they do the same job/action, break a log down into lumber.  Thanks for any info/insight.   :P :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

logboy

ET, your swingmill insurance sounds a bit high. I have my International truck, the swingmill and liability coverage in a package deal for less than that. I believe I got it through Forest Insurance Center on the left. Or maybe they kicked me to someone else who they work with. I cant remember.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

ET

Logboy, who exactly are you with?  Id like to contact them. My current carrier can retire on what I pay for my vehicles, home, farm, equipment, and sawmill. Everything is charged seperately. I bet I pay over 20000 a year in insurance counting obama health care

logboy

Yikes. Try Forest Insurance Center. I think I went through them, or they referred me to someone close. Its been a while since I signed up.

https://forestryforum.com/insurance.htm
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!