scared of the woods!

Started by timberlinetree, July 20, 2014, 06:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

timberlinetree

It's OK but stopped quick like hitting chaps. Thanks again ed k for helping us out with the chains on the skidder we REALLY appreciate it! :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Wudman

From a print I have around here somewhere:

"Real Foresters dislike Yankee accountants, redbugs, cottonmouth moccasins, and palmetto....in that order."

Seriously, permanone in my opinion is the best deterrent for chiggers and it will do a number on the ticks too.  I apply it to my pants and boots.  Prior to permanone, I could pick 100 seed ticks any given night.  The chiggers were horrible.  Now, I seldom have a problem with either. 

Be sure to read the label.  It does come with some precautions.  I handed the can to a coop student one time and he read the label and handed it back to me, stating that he may want to have kids one day.  Early in my career, I was treated for both Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme disease.  I'll take the permanone over the chiggers anyday.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Southside

I started to use "Bronco" fly spray this summer.  We put it on the horse and it works for him so I figured why not try it?  We buy it in gallon jugs and transfer it into a bottle sprayer.  I apply it to my pants and shirt, helmet, in the morning and I am really happy with the job it has been doing.  The biting flies stay away and maybe one tick a day most of the time is all I find. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Southside logger,probably the Bronco is cheaper too. I use to use it on our horses too. But I had to spray it on my hands to apply it to the horses. I never could get them use to the noise of that spray bottle pointing at them. At my hands was fine,but point it towards them,and they would take off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I see that Permanone and Bronco both have pymethrin in them. Maybe that what is good for ticks.

I use Deet for the chiggers, and seems to work ok.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

But the Permanone does not go on your skin.  Clothing only.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Right... that is what they say.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberlinetree

Well this is a new one! What got me you cant see. I was stupid stupid stupid. Can only blame my self although wish forester had warned me in the cutting plan!Was in the er all day yesterday. Was kinda scared and was setting off 3 alarms constantly for a while. Two of the nurses looked worried. Think the doctors thought I was full of it since 3 different doctors wanted to hear my story! One of the nurses said I should be on a weird er room show and said the name but we don't have TV so didn't recognize the name. They say never seen a test like mine before and was really weird. I frogot my phone so I'll post pic tomarrow and see what everyone thinks? I'm getting a late start and don't want to go to the job site. I only have one day of skidder work and 2 days of spraying and then forester approves and big payday! But I'm really scared to go up there! The fire wood on the landing that was going to be processed think I will move with the forwarder to another location costing time/$ but don't like this place anymore! Its taking a lot to go up there today but need a pay ck! Today I'm really really scared of the woods!

sawguy21

I am not scared of the woods but do have a healthy respect for the forest and it's natural inhabitants. I stay aware of my surroundings and make sure I know where I am. Only been been scared by a bear once in camp, got between a sow and a cub, but she was more interested in the garbage cans.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Quote from: Magicman on July 31, 2014, 10:35:39 PM
But the Permanone does not go on your skin.  Clothing only.

I had heard the reason for that was because pymethrin breaks down on contact with your skin, losing its effectiveness -- not because of any concerns about toxicity.  However, now I'm wondering if I heard wrong.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

timberlinetree

Well this is what I think got me radio waves or emf or something. My heart was fine until started parking in front of it and now my heart is pumping funny. Feels like I having a heart attack!

Stupid me didn't read warning signs

This one in fine print on bottom says serious injury

In the hospital they also put the heart jump start pads on me!

This thing really messed me up( I think) and I don't like it one bit! If anyone is working near these things, be careful!

timberlinetree

Talked to someone finnaly from the tower! They say its leased then sub leased and is going to try and contact the owner. Then he wanted to know if we were in front of it, how close and how long. I don't like this thing one bit! Yesterday my heart started skipping instead of overheating. I can hear it through my earmuffs when I stop.

timberlinetree

Well they didn't get back to me. Not shure what to do now. Science I haven't been around the tower I'm getting better. Was real happy to wake up and not feel my heart pounding out of my chest.not shire how far away I need to be from this thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BargeMonkey

Wow.  Hey at least your alive, yeah thats really something. Wow.

Kodiakmac

"...Like all other blood suckers, they leave behind an itch...."

Oh, those things.  in Ontario we call them Liberal politicians.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Maine logger88

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I have no clue on the tower never been around one. Stay safe!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

thecfarm

I have never been around one. But if I felt like you did,I would keep away from them things!!!  They could find you dead in front of that tower.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ScottAR

Emf is nothing to scoff at...  Some of the big ones can kill birds.

For the itchy chigger bites, take a warm bath with epsom salts.  calms the itch down a lot.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

timberlinetree

Thanks everyone! Well my heart is like a nicely tuned Detroit 353 at an idle, nice and steady. Didn't even need to go to the cardiogist because I'm feeling great. I got a hold of the tower people and wished Marcia talked to them since I got a little confused. Never found out who's using the tower, that it shoots signals, don't go in front of it, and didn't find out what serious injury you could get from this thing. Somewhere along the line he said the radiation word like that's around it? Not sure if Marcia homemade laundry soap works on that stuff so if anyone knows about radiation and could chime in that would be great. I know it's bad and stay away which I am doing. After I got off the phone I realized this guy was an expert at beating around the bush. Maybe he thought I was a sue happy person. If I sued all the people I could have I would be overweight from to much steak and have heart problems so I don't take that route especially when it's my fault. I am almost done with job! Should I call the DEP about the radiation to see if that stuff is around? I don't want to be bringing this home and don't know anything about radiation.Thanks

beenthere

timberlinetree
Relax a bit, and don't get too hyper.   ;D

Seems you are throwing a lot of things together that may just be partially true because (as you admit) it is confusing. i.e. there are different kinds of radiation, some good, some not so good.

Keep looking into this, but I'd suggest you avoiding the immediate area of the "beast" would be your best bet. And seeing a Dr. to get checked out would be your second best bet.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

treeslayer2003

timberline, was it hot when you had that episode? i have had my heart do that from dehydration.........it happens fast and you don't really feel thirsty. if you sweat like i do, ya can't really drink that much water fast enough.........keep hydrating at home in the ac.

lopet

Don't know much about radiation either, but sounds scary enough, to take it serious.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Those big satellite's are similar to a marine radar unit, dont get anywhere near it.  The path of "projection" can burn you, and from what I read cell phone towers emit much higher EMF than say an X-ray machine at a hospital. Good to hear your alright but I would not hang around on that job forever, some of the effects ive read are quite nasty.

Hilltop366

If it was that bad you would think a larger area would be fenced off to actually keep (most) people away.

Thank You Sponsors!