iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

scared of the woods!

Started by timberlinetree, July 20, 2014, 06:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

I know sometimes working alone at nite in the woods can be a little spooky.when my brother died I didn't like the woods. Not to long ago when I was hit by a tree I didn't like that spot in the woods. I have been working down south in Va.and Nc. For the past few weeks and something got me that I didn't even see. CHIGGERS! All along my ankles,waist,etc. With the heat and the itching I was going mental. I don't like these things and am not that much of a wuss puss but I am a little scared of        the woods these days! Stay safe :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

LeeB

Chiggers will make anybody scared. I'd rather do battle with the ticks than with chiggers.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ed_K

I used to soak in a bathtub with clorax bleach in the water, got a lot working in north Tx.
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Want nothing to do with them. Deer flies are bad enough, I'm staying north. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treeslayer2003

welcome to the south :D

if you think you got um crawling on ya, shower with flea n tick shampoo as soon as ya get home. it will get rid of most of um.......once they in yer skin, yer stuck with um for a few days.

terry f

mesquite buckeye

If you insect repellent your ankle, beltline and around the openings of you shirt they aren't too bad.  ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

I don't like it when I find a couple hundred of them on me at once. >:(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

CCC4

I eat a lot of hot sauce on meals and a lot of spicey seasoning. I think this helps to some extent. I am not bothered with chiggars as much as I am seed ticks. After being hospitalized the week of my 30th birthday due to tick fever, I crenge when seeing a blob 500+ of seed ticks moving up my leg. It makes me wanna puke honestly.

+1 on the bleach bath...scrub till you bleed and get in a hot bleach bath! You might wanna squeal if no one is within hearing distance! LMAO!

LeeB

Quote from: terry f on July 20, 2014, 01:17:57 PM
   What are chiggers?

Evil little beasties about the size of a pin head that bite and feed on blood. Like all other blood suckers, they leave behind an itch. The itch comes from the tube that is created by a chemical in thier saliva that hardens to keep the tube open while they feed. Also know as redbugs. You won't ever get just one. Usually they attack by the dozens. They are fond of tall grasses and open brushy areas. I hates chiggers.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

luvmexfood

They are the devil themselves. Itch is similiar to poison.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

LeeB

I don't know if it's similar to poison, but it'll sure make you think about swallowing some to make it stop.

clww

The job we're finishing this week was loaded with chiggers AND ticks. I hate them both right down there with leeches, mosquitoes, horse flies, and fire ants. >:( >:( >:(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Quote from: LeeB on July 20, 2014, 02:13:17 PMEvil little beasties about the size of a pin head 
Lee, I would think more toward the pin "point" than head.  They are best seen by holding a flashlight and shining across the red spot.  They mostly stick where hairs emerge or at a point where clothing fits tightly.  Think elastic.  The color can vary from red to orange, yellow, and sometimes white.  I hates chiggers too.  chigger
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

yuuppp, living up north when you freeze your twig and berries you have no chiggers . ;D i think i just convinced myself i like winter? :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

they are horrible!  Flowers of sulfur works pretty good around the waist line and ankles.  But once they get you its over for day or few.  Seed ticks,, are not much better, at least if found soon enough and a bleach bath is close by you can do some good that way.   Spray and dust, or stay away from their domain. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Maine372

I can understand being scared of the woods. I worked for a short time marking timber. I was literally going woods crazy. every noise, every shadow started to make me nervous. had a dead rotten birch fall over near me one day. I never did see if an animal tried to climb it and that's why it fell or if it was just a freak thing. I just couldn't take it anymore. I can work alone logging just fine. I guess the machines keep my company. but to just be me in the woods alone all day, no thanks.

WDH

One way to recognize a rookie Forester in the Deep South was when he/she sat down on the pine straw in the woods.  Redbugs love pine straw. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Barney II

The only thing that we really have to deal with up north here  is the big foot  and they only come out in the winter.  You can tell their track because they wear a size twelve 5 buckle overshoe.  I understand that most of them are a little south of here-----Spooner I think someone said. :D  8) ;D :)
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

gfadvm

Chiggers are the larval stage of grass mites.

The best prevention I have found is to spray my pant legs and socks with a PineSol/water mix (1:2) before going in the grass/brush. Off works also but gets a little pricey.

Once you have been attacked, triamcinolone crème works great to stop the itch and allow you to sleep. It requires a script but not too expensive.

Jeff

I experienced Chiggers after visiting Brother Noble several years ago down in Drury Mo. They struck the day I got home. He thought it was pretty funny when I called him.  I loved Noble. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BargeMonkey

Besides maybe the occasional tick we dont have it to bad for bugs up here. The bears, mountain lions and snakes are what you really wanna watch for. DEC wont admit that they have helped re-introduce the mountain lions into NY but we are getting closer to having dead proof. Lots and lots of bears.

mesquite buckeye

When somebody hits one with a car it is hard to hide. ;D No doubt somebody's pet escaped. ::)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on July 21, 2014, 09:53:29 AM
When somebody hits one with a car it is hard to hide. ;D No doubt somebody's pet escaped. ::)

The one they hit in CT recently had been tracked from CO ? They knew it was headed this way, but publicly deny it. We had a problem 3yrs ago with a guys beef cows down the road, kept finding pieces of calves in the trees. The state did everything they could to ignore it, but it wont be a problem till they eat a few city children then oh my god do something. 

enigmaT120

Man I think I'll stay home.  Few ticks, and none of that other stuff.  Rattle snakes are very rare my side of the Cascades.  Yeah we have bears and mountain lions, no biggie.  The only real thing to worry about is idiots with guns, whether due to stray rounds or fires they start.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

terry f

I've said before, how do you guys in the upper Midwest and Northeast not have Mountain Lions with all the cover and deer you have. Loggers in the West have worked around them for a 150 years, and so far we haven't lost a logger to a Wolf or Lion yet.

Thank You Sponsors!