iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chains

Started by bullet20, July 19, 2014, 11:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet20

whats  your favorite brand of chain and the angle of grind? say in the  [stihl]  33rs group

SawTroll

I don't understand the question - what do you mean by "33RS group"???
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on July 21, 2014, 01:04:41 PM
Niko , I think bullet20 means 3/8" chisel chain comparing Oregon 72LGX to Stihl 33RS etc.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 21, 2014, 01:26:03 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on July 21, 2014, 01:04:41 PM
Niko , I think bullet20 means 3/8" chisel chain comparing Oregon 72LGX to Stihl 33RS etc.

That would be my guess as well - but it also could be about the different variants of 33RS - or maybe both?
Information collector.

d1hamby

I would say he is looking to find reviews for different brands of chains, but he wants comparisons on the same type. So all the RS are 3/8 pitch 0.050" gauge steel cross cut chains. I like the Stihl chains. I have used others like Ryobi, Forrester and Carlton. I couldn't say how they worked directly compared to the Stihl because I gave up on them. If anyone else could directly compare how their favorite brand of chain compares to the Stihl I would also be interested. How many build their own chains? How do you modify the chains you like to use? I like to take down the rakers 0.01" more than they recommend just so I get more bite and can sharpen the chain in the field without having to mess too much with them.
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

SawTroll

Personally I prefere Oregon LPX to Stihl RS and Oregon LGX as it cuts smoother and maybe a little faster.
I happily use all three though, it isn't a big deal.

Another comment is that using .050 doesn't make any sense in 3/8" (or in .325), as  the Stihl chain cuts the same kerf as their .063 and the Oregon the same kerf as their .058.
Oil transport sometimes suffer with .050, and the slot between the rails clogs up more often.
Information collector.

Oliver1655

I cut mostly clean wood so I use Stihl RSLF, sq ground chisel - full skip, .404, .063 on my older Stihls, (08s & S10). 

For 3/8 LP/picco, I use Stihl PS which is a full chisel round ground that I can convert to sq filed chain easily.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

joe_indi

I have found that Carlton Magna chisel (A1, A2, A3 LM) also very good provided the cutters are filed to shape before use.

SawTroll

Quote from: joe_indi on July 23, 2014, 12:53:51 AM
I have found that Carlton Magna chisel (A1, A2, A3 LM) also very good provided the cutters are filed to shape before use.

Crude chain that really needs to be sharpened before use.
Information collector.

sawguy21

It does not have Husqvarna stamped into it but that doesn't make it crude. FWIW, Carlton is owned by Blount who also make Oregon
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 23, 2014, 10:04:46 AM
It does not have Husqvarna stamped into it but that doesn't make it crude. FWIW, Carlton is owned by Blount who also make Oregon

Blount doesnt make any chain, they just are the current owners of Oregon, Windsor and Carlton. They have owned Oregon much longer than the other brands though. That doesn't mean that the products always are the same (so far), as most products are much older than Blounts ownership, including the Carlton chain.

A natural development would be that the traditional Carlton chain was discontinued (like Windsor chain seem to have been) - but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet...
Information collector.

Little Al

Quote from: SawTroll on July 23, 2014, 01:49:56 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on July 23, 2014, 10:04:46 AM

Blount doesnt make any chain, they just are the current owners of Oregon, Windsor and Carlton. They have owned Oregon much longer than the other brands though. That doesn't mean that the products always are the same (so far), as most products are much older than Blounts ownership, including the Carlton chain.

A natural development would be that the traditional Carlton chain was discontinued (like Windsor chain seem to have been) - but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet...
In my part of France there has been a re introduction of Windsor Chain  it had disappeared until a couple of months ago now it"s being sold in most saw dealers ( except Stihl)

SawTroll

Quote from: Little Al on August 02, 2014, 12:13:03 PM
In my part of France there has been a re introduction of Windsor Chain  it had disappeared until a couple of months ago now it"s being sold in most saw dealers ( except Stihl)

Interesting - was Windsor chain popular in France?

Also, is it the same ol' Windsor chain, or is it some rebranded Oregon or Carlton chain?
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!