iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Briggs problem

Started by Qweaver, July 19, 2014, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We got a new 27hp B&S 27 under warranty for our Bad Boy mower this spring.  It has run great but now will not start.  While we were on the Alaska trip my daughter ran it out of gas and added bad gas from a can of gas that I know was bad.  She drained the gas , replaced the fuel filter and plugs but it still would not fire.  She had a small engine guy look at it and he said the fuel sensor was bad.  I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake this AM but no fire.  I don't even know where the fuel sensor is.  Could not find one with a parts search.  The mower was running fine until she ran it out of gas.  Sounds funny that the fuel sensor would go bad just at that time.
Suggestions?
QL
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

LeeB

Quinton, you sure have all the luck with motorized equipment. Have you ever thought of getting hand powered gear? ::)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

I am not sure what he means by a fuel sensor. There is a fuel solenoid on the carburetor, it closes when the engine is shut off to prevent fuel from being drawn in on shutdown so the is no big bang as the engine stops. It may not be working but the engine should still fire if gas NOT starting fluid is squirted down the carb throat. Ether will quickly ruin your engine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skip

Check oil level some wont start with low oil  had similar problem with one of my generators with a briggs .

StimW

My guess is water in the carb bowl. Water will stop up jets. Might need to disassemble and clean?
Remove the spark plugs and read them. (inspect for wet/dry/dirty )
I have had to use compressed air in spark plug holes to help clean cylinders out.
Sometimes the fuel/air ratio gets so out of balance from trying to start them that even ether won't work.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Don_Papenburg

Check oil  My 3HP water pump has a low oil shutdown . still no start  try propane from soldering fuel torch  , crack the valve a little as you are cranking .  I use that method when I need to start the welder If it sits too long the fuel pump will not lift the gas because the starter will not crank the engine fast enough . The fuel pump uses crankcase pulses to pump.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

CHARLIE

I'm not that good with mechanics, even though I try, but it is too coincidental that this all happened when bad gas was put in the tank.  I think something is plugged in the carb.  I'd pull the float bowl and jets and clean everything real good with a can of carb cleaner.  Reset the idle jet and give it another try.  I'm thinking it is something simple but illusive.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Hilltop366

I always try to use mixed gas to prime, if you get too much at least it has some lube in it and won't wash out the cylinders so bad.

I agree with pulling the float and see what is in there, also run some gas from the tank ( or pump it out from the bottom of the tank) into a jar to see what it looks like.

Qweaver

After checking the gas can she used, the gas was not bad.  So it is an electrical problem it seems.  I'll bypass all of the cut off circuits and see if that is the problem. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

SPIKER

Woman of mine did similar, but when it stalled she left the blades engaged which kills ignition when starting.   It cranks but won't start with the blades on.

Might be one of those issues if it didn't hit when ether was shot in, (fuel was there.)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Qweaver

I got the BS back from the repair shop yesterday.  The entire intake/fuel system was clogged and carboned up.  Valves stuck and coated with carbon.  Repair bill was $474, including 2 new heads.  I wish I knew when the bad fuel was put in.  I would have cleaned the heads but I really thought the repair would be under warranty.  not so.  It's hard to accept that one load of bad fuel could cause this.  We mowed all day today and all was well...let's hope this is the end of problems with this engine.

sandhills

I may be wrong but I think your doubts are well founded, glad your back at it but sorry for the bill  :-\.

slider

I'm glad you got going but I'm not buying the one load of fuel causing all this.Carbon build up takes time.
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm sorry you're having problems with your Briggs.
Personally.....you'll never see me in possession of one again. I've had my fill of them over the years.

Kohler, Kubota or Kawasaki are my engines of choice.

Hop you get it fixed.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ely

I have a push mower that is weedeater brand it has a briggs on it. that will fire when you pump the primer bulb and it will run for about 10 seconds or so then die. I have had it apart 100 times and cleaned the tank and the so called carb,which is a piece of plastic. as long as I sit there and pump the gas bulb with my finger it will continue to run. mower has not got but maybe 10 mowings on it in about 4 years. I have installed a new bulb too. new plug.checked the intake all the way to the head, no cracks,its plastic too.

it just sits now, I am out of ideas. I have been looking foir a different carb. to try on it.

barbender

Briggs are the pecan of small gas engines. smiley_devil
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

ely, what style of carburetor? If it has the diaphragm sandwiched  on the tank, replace the carb and diaphragm. They are not expensive and a waste of time to try to clean.  You say ten mowings in four years? It is gummed up with old gas. Use fuel stabilizer and run it dry at the end of the season.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I buy them weedeaters and briggs and use them for a mini bush hog. I might get 2 years out of one,but I use the high grade and they run fine. Never drain the gas out. I always think that I will use it one more time.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

We finally have a gas station in town that keeps regular gas with no alcohol.  It's 30 cents more than regular unleaded but worth it if it solves the problem.

Thank You Sponsors!