iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered new woodmizer lt35

Started by mrector, July 19, 2014, 10:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrector

After getting my feet wet with building my own mill, then selling it to step up to a Norwood lumbermate 2000, I now have already sold the Norwood and jumped in with both feet and got a 2014 lt35hdg25!

Due to be delivered on the 29th of july. I have been getting my logs together and have a nice whack of walnut,  cherry, maple, oak, and white pine to cut up. Takin a 10 day vacation once I recieve mill to get sawing!

I will start another thread once I get it and get to milling. Sooo excited!
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Magicman

Congrats.  We look forward to seeing pictures of the happy smile.....and the sawmill too.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Good to hear.
Might just as well continue this thread with your pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rooster 58

Way to go Mrector 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Sounds like you have the fever , so you definitely need that time off to try and get better ;)

BCsaw

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

thechknhwk

Congrats, you will love stepping up from the manual mill.

schmism

Quote from: mrector on July 19, 2014, 10:53:25 AM
After getting my feet wet with building my own mill, then selling it to step up to a Norwood lumbermate 2000, I now have already sold the Norwood and jumped in with both feet and got a 2014 lt35hdg25!

Perhaps you covered it in a different thread, but I would like to hear about your decision making process that had you move from home built to norwood to finally a Lt35.   
What time frame did this transition take?
Was it merely a financial issue that you didnt start out with an LT35?
Do you see yourself moving to even larger saw?  a 50 or, setworks and debarker, ride on seat etc?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

thechknhwk

I'm holding out for an LT50 wide head, hahaha.  Oh yeah, you weren't asking me, and I'm dreaming :D

downsouth

That's awsome!
   I'm kicking around getting the lt35 but would really like to hold out for the lt40. But I look forward to seeing and hearing about your 35 it may push me in that direction.
           Congrats!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thechknhwk

Quote from: downsouth on July 19, 2014, 07:43:44 PM
That's awsome!
   I'm kicking around getting the lt35 but would really like to hold out for the lt40. But I look forward to seeing and hearing about your 35 it may push me in that direction.
           Congrats!

In my opinion (not that it mattes much) Unless you're getting a super HD with a bigger diesel motor, and more bells and whistles, accuset2, improved debarker, lubemizer, etc there is not much difference.  The base model price dif is 7k, which I'm sure you know already.  Start adding the bells and whistles and the difference could be 10-15k :o  Don't get me wrong I dream about big timing it, but I just configured my dream machine to the tune of GRAND TOTAL:   $42,739.00 :D

Magicman

I ran my sawmill through the "Configurator" just to get an idea.  $44,808.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thechknhwk

Quote from: Magicman on July 19, 2014, 09:52:07 PM

My price was for the LT50 walk behind with all the bells and whistles and the mid sized diesel.  They are running a 3k off "special" right now.

Magicman

Well, that is interesting;  $44,508.

flyingparks

Congratulations! It will not disappoint!  8)

rooster 58

Ummmm, I wonder how much the 4000 goes for :-\

thechknhwk

Quote from: Magicman on July 19, 2014, 09:52:07 PM

See, ya shoulda bought an LT50, lol :D

Peder McElroy

You will love it. I picked up my new lt35hd Friday and having a great weekend.

delvis

Quote from: thechknhwk on July 19, 2014, 09:14:28 PM
That's awsome!
           Congrats!

In my opinion (not that it mattes much) Unless you're getting a super HD with a bigger diesel motor, and more bells and whistles, accuset2, improved debarker, lubemizer, etc there is not much difference.  The base model price dif is 7k, which I'm sure you know already.  Start adding the bells and whistles and the difference could be 10-15k :o  Don't get me wrong I dream about big timing it, but I just configured my dream machine to the tune of GRAND TOTAL:   $42,739.00 :D

After looking at Wood Mizer's configurator, I guess I should feel lucky we bought our mill when we did.  We have a 2011 LT40HD non-super with a 38 horse gas engine and the command control station (so we don't have to walk back and forth).  Our mill also has the debarker, lube mizer, and accuset 2.  It cost us about $32,000 with those options when we picked it up.  I just tried to configure our mill to see what it would cost today and it seems that Wood Mizer has limited those options to the Super Hydraulic series.  I guess it makes sense as I have seen a Super run and it's faster at handling logs and cants but not so much faster that I would want to shell out another $7,000 base price or so just to get into one.  Hopefully I won't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon because it looks like it will be expensive if I do. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, flyingparks.   8)

mrector

Thanks you all. I am excited. The whole sawmilling for me started out as a need for extra money and need for lumber for my own projects. I was free hand cutting with a chainsaw to make some coffee table tops and learned quick theys got to be a better way. So I researche'd and looked into portable band mills. They were out of price range so I decided to build one. Worked ok, but needed another $1000 to make it do what I wanted. So found the norwood and bought it. Was a heck of a step up. Loved that machine!
Now it came down to another decision.  I was either going to have to buy a tractor with FEL or... buy a mill with hydraulic capabilities. I have access to our ford 4000 diesel that I can stage logs with. So I decided on the woodmizer. I was also lookin real hard at the timberking 1600, what really sold me on the WM was the fact that it was 5k cheaper and it has the bi-plane hydraulic clamp. The tk did not.

All this happened within around 2.5 years.

Really wish I had of paid more attention when my grandfather had his large sawmill. When he was running it I was a teenager and early 20's and wanted "whitetail" (if ya catch my drift) more than some dusty sweaty job at the mill. He passed away with cancer 7 years ago. I sure couldve learnt a lot from him, now I'm basically doing what he did... start from nothing.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

SawyerBrown

mrector, congratulations on the new mill!  I know you'll love it! 

Welcome, flyingparks! 

Quote from: thechknhwk on July 19, 2014, 09:14:28 PM
That's awsome!
           Congrats!

hwk, the only thing I've found with the 35 is that I've had to refer jobs to another fella with an LT40 because a log(s) was just a touch too big for my mill.  Happened again last Friday.  So I guess if you think you're going to be milling a fair amount of logs 30"+, it may be worth the additional $7k.

Quote from: Magicman on July 19, 2014, 10:19:33 PM

Well, that is interesting;  $44,508.

MM, don't you mean $41,808?  That's still a pretty good stack of $20's!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Magicman

I ran my exact sawmill specs. and the LT50 was $300 cheaper than the LT40SH.  Customers often ask what my sawmill would cost new and now I know.   ;D

I bought used for half that in '02, and as far as I am concerned, it has not depreciated.

CWarner

Welcome to the Wood-Mizer family mrector!

Happy sawing  8)

MAI

Hi Mikey and Peder,

Great to see you on the Forum.  Hope all is going well.
Have a great weekend. 
DJ

Thank You Sponsors!