iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nemo re-surfaces.

Started by Jeff, February 20, 2002, 06:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I posted this well over a year ago, But I happened to think about it today, because its about the right time of year. So fer ya'// that aint seen it, here ya go and yer welcome to top it if you can.

I just want to say right off the bat, I WAS NOT DRIVING AND TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY! With that said, these pics are actually WORSE then they appear, the skidder operator (refered to here after as the late captain nemo) did not tell anyone he was "stuck" until late that night. This is the next day, night time temp? 20 below zero daytime temp? 10 One Big solid block of Timberjack and Beaver droppings.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

I did something like that several years ago with my pickup.  I was cruising some property in eastern Oregon and my partner and I decided to save ourselves a seven mile hike by driving in.  Night temps low teens day temps just enough to thaw.  Fell through on the way out that afternoon.  It took me a week to find the owner of the skidder that was left on the property over winter.  The skidder owner and I borrowed an ATV and nearly cranked the battery dead trying to get it started.  This was after the skidder owner broke something in the front end of his pickup when he tried to drive in disabling his four wheel drive.

So both of us and a five gallon bucket of hydraulic hop on a little 250 cc ATV and proceed to ride around half the morning looking for the skidder (niether one of us could remember where it was parked).  Once we found it, we crossed our fingers it would start, (temp low teens and a weak battery) a half can of starting fluid later we were rolling.

The skidder sank belly deep when we reached my pickup... in fact I thought we would lose it too.  I hooked the choker to the only place I could reach and the off angle pull from the drum broke three of my wheels lose from the frozen mud.  The fourth one acted like fulcrum nearly flopping the truck over nose first.  When he slacked the line to prevent the endo the fourth wheel broke loose when the rear end hit the ground.

We got the thing extracted but one wheel was packed full of frozen mud.  We needed to take the wheel off and remove the mud.  It took a half hour to beat the wheel free of the rotor.  After that another half hour was spent chipping out the frozen mud using hammers and screw drivers.  

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

L. Wakefield

Wow, I wish we'd gotten off that easy when the mud ate my flatbed. i was a coupla months waiting for the ice/mud to let loose. Bout toasted a towtrucks' clutch til we determined she warn't budgin  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Texas Ranger

In Texas we can generally stick em that deep (I do remember going out looking for a JD450 one spring and tripping over the antennae mast) but the only ice we have is whats in the water cooler.  

God, I love the south!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gordon

The nemo pictures are classic, in a field by themselves no doubt. But in a close runnerup here are three pic's of no use of brain at it's best. Sorry for so many pics jeff, but it will sort of tell it's own story.

What happens when you bury a trac-hoe, ya get another one to dig the first one out right? well what happens when you bury the second one as well? You get another to dig the first and second one out right? As they say three times a charm.

Gordon

L. Wakefield

OK, I have to ask numb question #387.21b- Track-hoe? Does that imply 'back-hoe is usually a wheeled vehicle and 'track-hoe is tracked (well, duh on that 2nd half- but also- these are BURIED- so i can't tell- are they mini-excavators in having a pushblade or are they just what the name implies- track with hoe? I'm still shopping for equipment in a not-ready-to-buy kinda wez.. ::)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

swampwhiteoak

That's correct LW, they don't have blades or loaders just tracks and a hoe.  Track-hoes are usually much bigger than your standard backhoe.

psychotic1

But not always ;D

Idn''t cute?
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Gordon

Hay Tillaway I found the picture of your truck in the ice.

Gordon

Tillaway

Man... I was hoping no one would find that picture. ;D  Did my wife give it to you?
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Corley5

The guys at the mill in town have a TJ just like the one that is stuck in the beaver pond.  Rex, one of the mill owners was approached last fall about setting some break wall rocks in Mullet Lake with it.  The guy who had the contract for the job had been fined for having his leaky old front end loader in the lake working the project and since their TJ is fairly new and leak free thought it would do the job.  They offered him a price he couldn't turn down and away he went.  He'd made about 30 trips from a boat launch to the break water of about fifty yards each in water almost to the top of the machine's tires.  On his last trip the bottom gave out and if he hadn't been quick to get the clam over the side to prop the machine up it would have went right over.  They had to bring in an excavator and a buch of cable and chain and used the boom on it to extricate the TJ.  The moral of this story is don't do this a TJ skidder.  When they got it back to the mill they changed all fluids in it but as the weather got cold the brakes started freezing up.  Apparently the linings were porous enough to absorb water and they didn't dry out before the cold set in.  The engine starter was also a cauality and had to be replaced including the gear reduction on it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!