iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FFA Forestry Camp

Started by caveman, July 18, 2014, 02:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I just got home an hour or so ago after a week at the Florida FFA Forestry Camp.  It  has been held at O'Leno State Park annually for almost 80 years.  The Florida Forest Service foresters and rangers spent many long hours away from their normal jobs teaching the students and some of the advisors about various aspects of forestry this week.

For interior Florida in July, the temperature was actually not too bad most of the week.  It rained quite a bit.  There were red bugs and ticks but fewer than most 
years. 

I usually accompany my students when they are with their forestry groups and foresters.  As we go through the woods or when we are sitting around in the shade learning about topo maps, tools, and other stuff, it amazes me how much we (students and teachers) can learn from these knowledgeable and generous folks. 

Have any of you ever been involved with any FFA forestry camps as foresters or campers?  Some of the foresters who were instructors at this camp this week were campers there when I was a much younger FFA advisor.  Several of the FFA advisors attended the camp when they were in school.
Caveman
Caveman

pappy19

I participated in a few FFA Forestry Days in SW Idaho. Those kids soaked it up and really showed interest in learning about the woods. I am sure those Florida kids are very appreciative of your program. Kudos for all.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Mooseherder

We attend a few FFA Steer and Swine auctions every year and buy to support this wonderful program.  Looks like participation increased this year over the previous years.  I think the program is great for these kids and wish more would join.  We have met a lot of fine young men and women involved with the FFA.  Kudos to you for supporting them.

dchiapin

I went to this camp at Oleno state park back in about 62.
Must have rubbed off on me pretty good since I have a native plant nursery and a sawmill.
Lucky me

caveman

Dchiapin-  The following are a few pictures of some of the buildings at O'leno which were built by the CCC men back in the 1930's.  The first is the pavilion where the students meet up for most sessions.  The second and third is of the old dining hall.  Until this year, it was used mainly by the forestry camp for the nightly dances and for some presentations during the days.  This year, the old dining hall was undergoing renovation to repair structural damage which I think was termite related.

Caveman

tule peak timber

Wow,,,Those pics are terrific. I have a resort thing coming up this year ,,,Would be nice to come close to the craftsmanship of your pics in some of the executions. Enduring style.....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

caveman

Rob, after seeing some of the pictures of projects that you have posted, I doubt there is much that can be done with wood that you cannot do. 
Caveman

dchiapin

yes I remember the hall, but don't remember the cabins, seems we stayed in an old barracks type building that was an open bay, The cabins must have been for the instructors, etc.
We have the local FFA Chapter (Putnam County) kids come out to our native plant nursery every year to I.D. native trees, sure is fun for all of us.
And let me add, these kids are very, very smart as are their teachers. They ask tons of questions and between the kids, me and the teachers and reference books, we find the answers.
Sure hate to hear negative comments about "this generation of kids are blah-blah-blah", don't see any, that given a half chance,haven't turned out to be very fine young people.
And programs like the O'Leno Camp are a wonderful way to help young kids get a good education about the forest and of course life.

Thank You Sponsors!