iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ultra portable bandmill - Ripsaw

Started by stumpjumper83, July 16, 2014, 05:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpjumper83

OK, I'm not buying one.  I'm not selling one either.  I did however come across a used one on cl for about 400 bones and thought it was kinda cool so I looked up the company.  It looks like a nice idea.  It looks like it needs way less power / fuel  than a conventional chainsaw sawmill.  What are the rest of your ideas on the unit.

http://www.ripsaw.com/ripsaw.html

Brad_S.

I've seen a couple being run, neither cut anything close to a straight line. Since the unit rides on the previous cut to make the next, it compounded the problem as it went. The blade is just too narrow.
You couldn't give me one.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

grampt1

I have had one of these for a long time and Brad_S hit it right one the head, they will just not cut straight if the blade is the least little bit dull. With a new blade you may get 3 or4 straight boards and after sharpening the first time you may get a couple more good ones but thats about it.
The idea was great and I liked the fact that I could take it to the log because I have no heavy equipment to move logs, you just have to cut a little thicker and let the jouinter and planner fix it.I just use the lumber for my own hobby projects so wasting a little wood is no big deal and it is a lot faster than a CSM mill that I have.

stumpjumper83

Sounds like the idea just needs refined a little to use standard sawmill blades like is on the wm10 and other push mills.

JohnM

I've got one that my father and brother bought years ago, I think they made one replacement sill for the house with it. :D  I was thinking it'd work well with the Lucas, cut 8x8 cants and whip out 1x's with the Ripsaw.  I've only tried it once so far, it went so-so at best.  The blade was old and rusty, didn't have the liquid gasket it called for so not sure how much lube was getting to the blade and the Stilh 036 that they bought as the powerhead is now my go to chainsaw (can't have it tied up on that thing!).  I still think they are pretty neat little rigs, especially if you're out in the willy-whacks, but I'm not sure I'll bother getting a new powerhead for the unit we have. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

bandmiller2

I spent time talking to the original designer and builder, if I recall he built them in Woburn Ma. The later design with wheels on tracks looks like it might have some merit. I know where there is one I could probably just have, I'll ask the owner about it and get his impression. Looks like a toy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

MZ

For anyone considering to buy a new or used Ripsaw, here is my experience. I had one since 2009 and sawed quite a few boards with it. Most were white cedar, so very soft wood easy to cut. If and when adjusted right, it does an excellent job, but adjustment is more art than science and I also cut some bad boards. It needs sharp blades and I was not able to sharpen mine by hand consistently. My problems started when the adjustment screw back off and kicked the wheel, which in turn caused the blade to jump out and cut through the cover. Simple cover should be no problem to replace, but the company - Southeastern Industrial Resources - would not provide one. This happened a year ago and I called many - many times. Now they don't even answer the phone, probably have my phone number on "do not answer" list. I do not believe they are really in business supporting the product anymore. So, if you buy one, expect to be on your own to make replacement parts. Whoever is near their location at 5700 Columbus City Rd., Grant, Alabama 35747, what else do they do at the warehouse they have? The first call was made on September 11, 2013. Buying from a reputable company is a better choice. I should have looked at the street view - which sadly didn't exist in 2009.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry forum, MZ. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

boscojmb

I looked at a chainsaw powered band mill that was built in Canada. (Wish I could remember the name) The saw cut vertically and moved along a horizontal beam. Looked like a fantastic cross between a CSM, and a bandmill. Does anyone Know the name of it.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

bandmiller2

Well now I own one. The Ripsaw would be ideal for someone building a wilderness cabin as its light and easily packed. A hobby woodworker that wants to cut some special lumber could use one. To get any kind of production would be tough. I was thinking about running it with an electric motor. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JohnSR

I had one of those little buggers for about a year. It almost ran me to the poor house buying blades. Was lucky if I got 3-4 1/6/8' boards before the blade would break. Tried all kinds of tension settings to no avail. The blades always broke on the weld. One thing good was I could get new blades locally plus if the break was straight, the shop would reweld them for me. Sharpening was a pain and I just gave up on setting as the tip of the tooth would snap off. Even built a carriage and tracks for it which helped keep my face away from the engine and the smell of the fumes.

JohnSR

Just remembered  that I took some photos of it way back when.

papow22

Quote from: boscojmb on August 21, 2014, 03:07:49 PM
I looked at a chainsaw powered band mill that was built in Canada. (Wish I could remember the name) The saw cut vertically and moved along a horizontal beam. Looked like a fantastic cross between a CSM, and a bandmill. Does anyone Know the name of it.
I have cms and it is called beam saw that attaches To a power saw .I found that to be okay if want to spend all summer cutting wood to build a cabin in the woods.I'd sooner use my lm2000 nor woods band mill.For that would do the job with ease.

Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Thank You Sponsors!