iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Rotting Out ?

Started by sr73087, July 16, 2014, 01:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sr73087

I am not sure what species of tree this is, but I am worried about the health of the tree. It has looked this way since I moved into my home about 2 years ago. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Dieskyver

Doesn't look good but I'm not an great authority.  I wouldnt be overly concerened tho. My biggest concern would be in what it would hit if it falls. And of couse the bird box. Otherwise looks like good lumber to me. =)
I'm sure greater minds will chime in soon. Im interested to see what they say too. And a heads up, they will probably be requesting pics of leaves, etc. for id. 

What part of the world your in may be helpful too. And how deep the "ailment" goes.  You said it has been the same since you moved in, meaning it hasn't gotten worse?  I bet treating it with a "white wash" or something would help.
Josh

beenthere

Looks to be heart rot and likely means the tree is "checking out". And as said, look for what it may fall on when it goes. Possible the decay was initiated by the attachment of that bird house, or what was nailed to it prior to the bird house.

Not sure what a treatment of white wash would do, other than make it white. 
What else might it do?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

That tree may live for quite some time, although it taint too healthy.  As said, falling and what it may hit, is your greatest concern, particularly if there is a neighbor.  Guage the height and the lean direction, calculate your risk.  If no risk, put up another bird house!! ;D

Autocar

Look's to me she has been damaged at one time and the problem in my opinion would be a hard storm type wind there's bad roots on the damaged side and it may tip over from not enough foundation [ roots ].
Bill

mesquite buckeye

I agree Autocar. The roots are most likely completely rotted away on that rot side. If this is near buildings or where people live, it should come down as a hazard tree. Whether it has any wood worth salvaging is only a secondary consideration. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dieskyver

I was just thinking a white wash, pesticide or even a some kinda sealer would slow down decay. The 'ol "Ill try anything once" card.

But as touched upon, it kinda looks like that side may be rotted all the way up to the bird box and beyond.
Josh

WDH

It looks like that it has had it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gfadvm

I see a lot of that kind of damage where someone has "barked" a tree with a brush hog or mower. Some trees seem to 'heal over' the damage where others begin to rot and then the carpenter ants move in.....

stumpmakerr

Fill it with cement...like john davey did a hundred years ago...from pictures id say it is a red oak....if there is a target remove it....the cement was a joke

Thank You Sponsors!