iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally got a little timber framing in.

Started by Dave Shepard, July 15, 2014, 08:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I haven't done any timber framing since I finished my barns last August. I owed a friend a favor, so I cut him a timber framers workbench:

It's in his 14'x16' Dutch House now:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BCsaw

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Brian_Weekley

Hi Dave,

Nice looking bench!  Is that for working on beams?  Your friend has a very nice looking building too.  Looks like the one from Jack's class.  Do you have any other interior and external photos of it you can share?  I like the siding, cupola, and side shed on the slope.  I'd also be interested in how the steps were configured (just see a glimpse of them in a photo).

Thanks,

Brian
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

I'll look for some more photos. I lost a lot of them when my micro sd card died in the phone. Yes, it is the 2009 Hancock frame. My friend cut all the trees, I cut the timbers, and he bought the frame back after the workshop. The stairs go up to the loft, and then there is a return from the loft up to the upstairs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

I designed the dormer and the 12' addition. The addition with loft really makes the stairs work a lot better. I'll have to take some more photos of that the next time I'm over there.

goose63

Now I could live in that and have a dry place to park my little woodland 126 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Dave Shepard

You have the mill. Now you just need a chisel and mallet. ;)

stumax

Those are nice pics.  What is the height of the timber framers workbench?

Dave Shepard

32" tall, 36" wide, and 72" long. It is all white pine 6"x6".

Brian_Weekley

Thanks, Dave.  That looks awesome!  The stair return from the addition loft is neat.  Looks like a nice view from those dormer windows too.
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard

I was over at my friends place this evening. I took a shot of the stairs. I'm not sure how you would build stairs in this frame without the addition.

danreed76

Dave:

Great looking stairs.  I've been playing with several designs for the stairs in our frame.  How are the stringers fastened to the posts?  I've been looking for info, but haven't found any good references on properly joining stairs in a timber frame.  Perhaps a topic for a new thread, but any pointers would be great.

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Jim_Rogers

Dan:
Do you mean "Stringers" not risers?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

danreed76

Jim:

Absolutely correct.  For some reason I thought "stairs" and "risers" was the first word to pop into my head... smiley_whacko  I'll edit it.

I haven't found much on information regarding attaching stringers to a timber frame.  Reckon that could be a whole new topic.  I'll pop up a new thread so as not to hijack Dave's framing bench.

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

D L Bahler

Dan,

There are lots of good ways to make heavy timber stairs. (I know I'm not the Dave you were asking, but I am A Dave)

One of my favorites is to lap the stringers through the posts, and secure them in place with wood pegs that have a head on them (like a giant wooden nail).

Another way is to have notches in the stringers that rest on a horizontal beam, or sit in notches cut into a beam, not joining the posts themselves. This is a good way of making very strong stairs.

Dave Shepard

I believe they were just screwed to the posts. I didn't build the stairs, but did help with the initial design idea.

Thank You Sponsors!