iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can (should) I re saw twisted boards?

Started by Small Slick, July 14, 2014, 11:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Slick

Last winter my dad and I felled  a small plantation of red pines in his yard. I milled them on my LT15 and made 2 3/8" x 8' and 12' boards. This was my first saw milling experience. I hired a FF member to kiln dry and tongue and groove these into flooring. I think the fellow did a very nice job with the lumber.

The down side is that a fair amount of lumber twisted and bowed before and during the drying process. So here is my question for the Forum:  Can I take a twisted board 2 3/8" and put it in the mill and cut each face to get a 1" board and if I do that will the one inch board be stable?  I would like to salvage as much from this lumber as I can.

John.

Brucer

I don't do it very often with thin material.

I routinely resaw larger timbers (6" and up) that people bring me because they have twisted. With Douglas-Fir and Larch they are usually stable after I saw them :). I've squared up Grand Fir only to have twist some more ???.

I only do this with fully dried timbers -- I suspect a partly dried timber will continue to twist.

Here's my procedure:
- put the timber on the bed of the mill and see how it lies.
- shim the two corners that are lifting off the bed - shim them the same amount.
- clamp securely and saw off the top face.
- pull out the shims and rotate 180°.
- the timber should sit flat. Saw off the second face parallel to the first cut.
- turn 90° and hold it against the side stops.
- square up the third face, flip 180° and finish the last face.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Left Coast Chris

I have had good luck resawing twisted Douglas Fir and ending up stable.  Not so with Grey (Digger) Pine. 
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

5quarter

I do it exactly as brucer does. Since the only softwood I saw is for myself, I always saw 9/4 in the widest dimension the log will give and put in the stacks to dry. it may be a year or so before I ever need them, but when I do, I just pull what I need and re-saw. boards with slight twist will make full 8/4, while boards with more twist usually still make 6/4. I have never had trouble with additional movement after I have resawed them, but by then the core is usually at EMC. I usually get Doug fir, ponderosa pine, Austrian pine or spruce. Also, I saw all my pine between Sept. and March. Not a fan of mold.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Ianab

There is 2 possible outcomes.

If the wood has simply shrunk unevenly as it dries, then it should now be fairly stable. If you resaw or machine the boards straight, they should stay that way unless they get a large moisture change.

OR, there could be internal tension still in the wood. When you resaw that, it will twist into some crazy new shape.

I would suggest you get a handful of boards, and try. If they saw and stay flat, good, they will probably stay that way and be usable. Process the rest and recover what you can. If they try and twist off the saw, then it's doomed to fail.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

cutterboy

I sawed a few 9/4 white oak planks that were slightly twisted down to one inch boards and the results were not good.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mesquite buckeye

Just make stuff that you can from short pieces. Each piece will have less twist and you can joint it out. ;D

Twisted lumber has a high PITA factor and a lot of waste. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I have never been very successful with resawing twisted boards.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Small Slick

Sounds like this could go either way. I guess it is worth a shot since I already paid to have them dried. I will never know unless I try and it will always make fire wood as a last resort.

John.

beenthere

Do you have an idea what kept the boards from drying straight?

Too much time before air dry stickering/stacking?
Stickers too far apart?
Not enough weight on the stickered stack?

Or was it straight before going into the kiln?
And if so, once in the kiln were the above needs met?

Just wondering why they didn't come out straight. 

And maybe there was spiral grain in the trees.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

I resaw a lot of stuff.  Timbers are one thing, but I won't touch anything small that isn't perfectly straight.  The failure factor is just too high.  Even when the customer says he understands the risks...  When the job is done and it's bad, it's your fault in his mind.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

rwepinetree

I have never had any luck with Red pine staying straight after it is dried

WDH

I have had very poor luck with trying to straighten out a warped and twisted board, no matter the method. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

well, i know how the lumber was dried :) we did the job.
when i first started talking to john about drying his lumber i asked if the trees were plantation yes, not a big platation though. at that time i espressed concern about twisting and bowing.
like all jobs we restickered the lumber after it came so, i know that was not a issue. even before the lumber went into the kiln you could start to see some movement. some boards at the bottom of 3 bundles moved so, lack of weight was not a issue.
iv'e said it before red pine plantation trees are like dancing with the devil its not if the wood will move its how much :)

this being john's first lumber he sawed, the lumber came in very consistant and clean so i say good job!!

let me also add , the 12' material had more twist and bow than the 8 ' material.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

To support the results of twisted and warped lumber from plantation grown red pine, one can read the conclusions of a study in ME. The juvenile wood in the early years has different drying and shrinking characteristics from more mature wood, and fast-grown trees can have a significant effect due to the volume of juvenile wood (i.e. large juvenile core).
It is the nature of the beast, so to speak.

If interested, some reading here.
http://library.umaine.edu/MaineAES/TechnicalBulletin/tb61.pdf

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Most older growth Red pine I have sawn is quite stable, it hardly even looks like the same wood as young plantation stuff. Most plantation wood has a high sapwood to heartwood ratio, the old growth is almost all heartwood. Slick, if your material is already dried, I'd say it's worth a shot.
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

my thoughts for dealing with the remaining lumber. run it through a resaw to split in half, make wp4 v-groove t&g, then cut the twist out of each piece by making shorter pieces, then end match it . we have done this alot with great results. this is usally done starting with 1" lumber. its been my experiance that once its dry it dosent move much.
i'm not trying to  sollicite on getting more work, just throwing a option out. :)

Small Slick

If I wanted to get two finished boards from my 2 3/8" stock how thin can I have them re sawn? Should I saw them at 3/4" and end up with 5/8" finished product?

John

beenthere

Trying to follow along here.  Are the twisted boards with T&G now, or are these some that couldn't be moulded because of twist?

Depending on how much twist, and how/where a resaw cut relates to the twist, would dictate if you get one or two boards from each twisted blank.
And "how much" twist affecting the boards produced will depend on what length you are going to trim these twisted ones before resawing.

We aren't seeing the boards so very hard to visualize and suggest a recovery plan.

I'd think running the twisted boards over a jointer first to give a flat face, then clamp on your WM to make the board at a desired thickness from that face.  At that time, you will know if there are two boards in your 1 3/8" stock or not.
south central Wisconsin

red oaks lumber

i would set the resaw at a full inch and let it feed. with pressure feed rolls the board will go thru the r saw fairly flat, once out the twist will still be in there but, thats not the end of the world.
if i remember correctly the twist was gradual the length of the board. imagine the board laying flat on a long table, you can see where to make cuts (cross) to make the peices lay flat. this only can happen once the lumber has been finished machined to 3/4"

macpower

If your red pine is our Norway pine, (pinus resinosa), you may well end up with twisted thin boards. My best luck with small logs/younger trees is to saw the largest cant I can with the pith centered, end seal it and let it sit under cover for 6 months to a year then re-saw it. I still get about 20% waste because the cants twist. Old growth, if and when I find it makes much better lumber. Short story is... I find it hard/extra work to make anything of good value out of it, I saw it when It shows up, but don't really like doing it. On the other hand, I hate to waste anything.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

barbender

If you make it into 3/4" wp4 you should be able to work with the twist as you install it.

thecfarm

macpower is right. I had some norway pine close to the mill for the wife's Graden shed. I sawed some 8x8's. They wanted to twist on me.  :(  I went back to the hemlock. Much better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I thought I would post a pic of some Red pine I was working with today to highlight the difference between plantation pine and naturally grown wood, as this subject has came up in a few different threads lately. The board on the left is plantation wood, notice the wide growth rings and light color. On the right is wood from a 90 year old tree, see the tight rings, and the orange/reddish color. This board is all heartwood, the other is all sapwood.

beenthere

Don't think I would use the fast grown red pine for what looks like a stair stringer where they are notched out and also needed for high strength.
Hope that they both function ok for you.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!