iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Woodmizer - Please help. How to remove saw head from carriage frame/ posts?

Started by kvntrotter, July 13, 2014, 05:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kvntrotter

Hi there,

We are taking apart our LT 15 Woodmizer into smaller components that 3 people can lift into a boat and take over to an island with water access only to build a cabin. Our last step is to separate the bandsaw head from the posts/ carriage since together it weighs 600 lbs. We have removed pretty much everything required and are now left with the cable assembly for the up/ down assist. It is under extreme tension and we can't figure out how to de-tension it to remove it. We've tried supporting the head, moving it up and down etc... but the tension on the cable is constant. I'm afraid if I remove the eye bolt I'll never be able to re-tension the cable sufficiently to put it back together.

Is there a way to de-tension the up/ down assist assembly so the cable has sufficient slack to take apart and then put back together at the new site?

Thanks very much.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

MartyParsons

Hello,
I checked the manual under maintenance and it explains it pretty well.
Here is a copy with out the pictures. There are lots of warnings so be careful! I have only done one sometime ago.
Marty

Maintenance
Up/Down System maintenance.

The up/down system is equipped with a gas
spring assist mechanism
to provide improved
speed and performance. The saw head must be secured and tension released from the
assist assembly before performing any
maintenance to assist components.
WARNING!
Always secure the saw head with a 5/16"
(8mm) chain with at least 1900 lbs. (860Kg) working load
capacity before servicing the up/down assist. The cutting
head may fall, causing severe injury or death.
WARNING!
Release pressure from the up/down assist prior
to performing any service to the assembly. Failure to do so
may result in the assembly flying apart, causing injury or
damage to the equipment.
Raise the saw head all the way to the top of the mast and secure with a chain.
Locate the up/down assist tension assembly.
See Figure 5-5.
Loosen (but do not remove) the tension adjustment bolt. Remove the cable from the top
pulley and remove the four mounting bolts at the top of the assist assembly.

Maintenance
Up/Down System
Maintenance 1510doc062714 5-13
See Figure 5-6.
Lift the top assist housing to access t
he gas spring cylinders. The cylinders can be
unthreaded from the bottom mounts without
removing the bottom housing from the mast.
Do not disassemble the gas spring cylinders.
WARNING!
The gas spring cylinders are pressurized. Dis-
assembly of cylinder may result in injury or damage to the
cylinder.
When service is complete, reinstall the assist assembly in the reverse order of the disas-
sembly procedure. Tighten the tension bolt all the way
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

Hello kvntrotter, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  When you get a chance, how about sharing some of your sawmill plans and activities.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kvntrotter

Thanks for the responses.  I worked late and got the head off the mill last night using the instructions that were posted.  Much appreciated.  I've also since found my manual. 

The machine is a 2007 LT 15, revision 5, with a 15 HP Kohler Command Pro.  Low hours, bought it a month ago from an occasional sawyer who was upgrading to a LT40 and making it a more serious hobby. 

We share property on one of the Gulf Islands here between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.  There is no power and no access except by boat.  Our plan is to disassemble the LT15 into components small enough for 3 guys to lift on and off the boat, then re-assemble it over there and mill enough wood to build a cabin on the water.  To this point we've been using a Granberg chainsaw mill on a Stihl 660 + Husky 3120.  We have access to lots of fir and cedar on the property plus occasional nice driftwood logs that we winch up onto the property with a Lewis chainsaw winch and mill.  Works great for big timbers but the bandsaw mill will certainly speed things up for the dimensional lumber.

We are also in the process of building a crane with a 60' boom for moving building material onto the building site and logs onto the mill.  It employs 2 old winches, a live fir as the 'spar' with a metal collar around it to anchor the boom, a bunch of snatch blocks and ropes etc...  The idea and most of the equipment came from a generous guy down the beach who built one to build himself a gorgeous woodworking shop pretty much solo using only chainsaw milled wood. 

This coming weekend is a boys work weekend and we hope to transport the mill then.

Thanks again for all your help.  Will let you know how it goes.

Kevin

prittgers

Sechelt is one of my favorite places!  Hope to meet you on one of our trips home there.  Beach logs are great.  But sand eats blades.  You might try a couple of the Stellite© blades.  And WM should be able to keep them sharp for you.
Parker
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

losttheplot

Hello from Mudge island, which island are you building on ?

I started with the chainsaw mill, then bought a Norwood lumber mate 2000 from a neighbour.
It is much quicker, but you have to bring the logs to the mill.
A log arch is very helpful if you have vehicle access on your property.

Its a bit warm for anything right now, good luck with your projects.
LTP.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

kvntrotter

Hello LTP on Mudge.  We are on the East side of Valdes Island, we often pass you on the way since we launch at Cedar By the Sea and head through the 'hole in the wall' on a 9' or better tide on our way to the outside. 

Thank You Sponsors!