iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bucks in Velvet

Started by Ron Scott, July 12, 2014, 07:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

Larry

We have a group of four bucks all the same size that hang around the farm.  I call em the class of 2014.  I've been trying all week to get a pic of the four together but they arn't cooperating a bit.  This morning I tried in earnest and took about 30 pictures, most blurry and none with all four.  The other two were in the tree line where it was a lot darker.  They were busy pulling leaves off the trees.

Here is the best I could do.  In the second picture you can see the first buck at the far right. 

Beside the class of '14 there are a couple of runts that stick together and one real loner with 4 down tines plus maybe 12 or more normal points.  I can get within gun range but so far can't get close nuff for the camera.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ET

Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Magicman

It appears that your class of 2014 are "upper-classmen".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Presenting the Class of 2014

The Class President

Taken out of the kitchen window with an Iphone.  I'll keep working to get a picture with a real camera. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

It's nice that you were finally able to capture all 4 of them together.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

My mother randomly bought me a new camera this summer  8)  These were the first pics I got off of it.  He's no B&C but he works for me.  Sorry the pics are so dark. :(

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Larry

A family that plays together....

Ron Scott

Bucks in the morning.

~Ron

Chuck White

I noticed this morning that some of the buck are already shedding velvet and their hair is changing too, some already have their Winter coats!

Coming too fast!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ET

We just had our first tragic deer car accident a few days ago for this time of year.  The passenger in a minivan is in critical condition when a deer broke through the windshield and hit him.  Always be observant and alert when driving in deer country.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Larry

The bucks have lost most of there velvet here.  Some still have a patch or two left.  Some of the fawns have lost all there spots.  I saw a doe with twins yesterday.  One fawn has spots and the other didn't. ???

A few acorns have started to fall.  The deer notice right away and clean them up almost before they hit the ground.  There movements will start to reflect the best tasting acorns in a few weeks.  We don't have any crop fields so deer movement is a lot easier to predict.

clww

Our bucks are still in velvet here in Tidewater, but I have noticed fewer spots on the fawns. Acorns are beginning to drop here and there. It will be a cold winter I predict. More so than last winter.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ET

Here is a pic of acorns I took last evening out in the wood. They are so heavy this year they are hanging like grapes. Squirrels and deer should be in good shape.

Bibbyman

I have a trail cam mounted on the front porch of my folk's house. I changed out the memory card and among the pictures,  found this guy slipping along.  I'd say he's lost his velvet.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sandhills

Nice Bibbyman!  I saw one up close the other day, not that big but a nice 4x4, not a bit of velvet left on him.

beenthere

That is a nice buck Bibby.

Had trail cam pics of bucks last week, one with velvet hanging off the antlers and another completely gone. Getting that time, as bow season starts in two days.
Bucks in velvet are not legal to shoot here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terry f

That's interesting Beenthere, why is that? I wonder if it had to do with the old Asian market and poaching.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Going into summer.

~Ron

Ron Scott

~Ron

tmarch

Here's mine from 2 years ago.

Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Thank You Sponsors!