iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225 wench break cylinder

Started by Shovelhead80x, July 11, 2014, 05:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shovelhead80x

Hello im new to the forum. Iv baught a 225 jack and it recently started pourin hydro fluid out of the break cylinder for the winch. I was wondering if any one had any advice on how to take the cylinder apart.

Neilo

Take it off the skidder, put it in a press to compress the rod a little, then take out the clip ring at the bottom of the cylinder. Then take out of press and rod should pull out.

There are some other posts on the repair of these recently.

Neilo

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

David-L

Welcome to  the forum, any pics for us Timberjack owners. I love my TJ225. The brake cylinder is pretty easy to fix, look for scoring in the can and put a 90 degree fitting for the vent. Have been posts about this recently.
Good luck

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Shovelhead80x

Thanks for the help i tried to search the cylinder but i kept getting sm error message. My packing will be in tomorrow thank god. Were finishing up the job we are on and had to make a couple og drags today and it poured fluid every time i pulled the leaver.

Shovelhead80x

Neilo

OK, as Davis said, check it is OK inside the cylinder before rebuilding. Rust in the upper parts can be a problem too, so a light hone or clean might be required.

Protect the rod seal by covering the thread it has to pass. V packings have the centre point of the V to the upper part of the cylinder as pressure comes from below. Put plenty of grease on the top of the piston and walls of the cylinder to lubricate the piston.

When installing on machine, piston should move 5/8". Get an idea on the thread position before you pull it off, and thread nuts on about that much. Putting winch hydraulics in freespool will help take the tension off to do up the nuts. Stop the rod from rotating, if it has a flat on it.

To decrease the travel, run the nuts closer to the end of the thread on the rod.

Neilo

Thank You Sponsors!